Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #31
freebiefan1
freebiefan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I still prefer paper books but e-books are good when you travel.
freebiefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #32
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I tossed the majority of my paper books back in 2008 when I moved I kept one double packed bookcase with the books I have reread a lot. But since I got my first ereader in 2010 I haven't touched them, and I've managed to find quite a few of them as ebooks.

My paper book buying days have been over for years, and I don't miss it in the least. I love carrying my entire library of over 800 books with me on my Note 2, my SGMP5, my Sony T1, and on my Nexus 7.

For me it's the stories that are fun not the package they come in.

Last edited by cfrizz; 01-11-2014 at 12:06 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #33
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
The only paper books that I have left are my books from my Grad School/teaching days.
Honestly, unless you are in research, why are you keeping these books? If you haven't even cracked the textbook open in 5 years, you won't in 10 years either. Now, if you are actually in research, that's a different story. Sometimes solutions for new problems ARE found in the older texts. Save your space for used paperbacks or books that you can't get in ebook form. For instance, I still have tons of craft and cookbooks, because frankly, they don't work so good in ebook form when you are actually doing the project. None of the ebook cookbooks I have bought so far have indexing, which makes it almost unusable for me or my Mom.

AlanHD
, if you are looking for out of print paperback books, try Paperbackswap.com (use QuiltedKnitter as a reference!). You do not have to provide books. You can buy credits and to get books mailed to you. I will tell you that if you can't find the fantasy or sci fi even mentioned in the Amazon used market, your chances of getting it through Paperbackswap.com is low. You could also try contacting Uncle Hugo's in Minneapolis. It's been there for decades.

Last edited by Tarana; 01-11-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Tarana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #34
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
[QUOTE=Katsunami;2735448]None of my books have stories, apart from 10 hardcovers or so that are either out of print (in Dutch *and* English), or are very old (only one of them).

All of the rest are paperbacks bought either online or second hand, and I'm almost done replacing them with ebooks. The recent huge Kobo codes almost allowed me to do it, if not for the fact that there are some books that are not available at Kobo.

I'm actually in the process of burning... eh... selling/giving away my books. Maybe I'll start building an "epic book case" one day, that will only contain hardcovers of my absolute very highest favorites, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are less than 50 books on that list.

Putting 50.000 books on a hard drive is peanuts.

===

QUOTE]

Hallo Katsunami, hoe gaat het? Yup I grew up in the Netherlands and still have a few Dutch books. Since I live in Canada, those are the books I do not want to donate/sell as you can understand. I think I will get rid of the paperback books. The hardcovers will stay and in that case narrowed it down to maybe one full book case. Step by step...
Love my Sony PRS-T1 (altho new T3 seems to be much improved!).
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:57 PM   #35
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebiefan1 View Post
I still prefer paper books but e-books are good when you travel.
Oh, that's when I love my ebooks the most. I can take my reader anywhere, with no fear that I'll be accused of shoplifting when I leave, and there's no chance that I'll run out of reading material. The only Achilles heel is that if something happens to the reader itself, I'm pretty well screwed.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #36
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
I'm trying to replace my existing paper books with ebooks. Ideally, I would only keep some of my hardbacks for sentimental reasons.

I am not buying any more in paper. I want the words, not the paper.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #37
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I still buy hardcovers for my favorite authors though (Robin Hobb, GRR Martin and C.S. Friedman at this point, mainly).
GreenMoney - just curious - but why would you buy hardcovers of favourite authors, if the ebook is available? What advantages would the hardcover / paper books have for you?
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #38
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
A friend gave me a physical book for Christmas which I am currently reading. It seems weird to be reading it instead of reading it on my Kindle.
Haha same here. I got a hardback book for Christmas then I downloaded the ebook from the library to read on my Nexus. What my sister doesn't know won't hurt her, right? I want to be able to fit it in my purse!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:27 PM   #39
gridlewak
Enthusiast
gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gridlewak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
I have no plans to ever get rid of any of my hard copy books. I prefer them to any e-version. I love the smell of them, I love the feel of them. Right now, most are in boxes, but I hope that this year, I will have my man cave in the basement organized enough, that they will all have their place on a shelf.

My e-book interests lie in older, long out of print references that either too expensive to buy or totally unavailable, but are free in the public domain on sites like archive.org or similar.
gridlewak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #40
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
Hallo Katsunami, hoe gaat het? Yup I grew up in the Netherlands...
Well enough, but I'd like to not be in Europe at this time if I had a choice...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #41
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Well, I traded/donated a lot of paper books this weekend. I did end up with some new books, however, I have a lot less paper books than I did before so it's all good.

Packing up boxes of books and carrying them around to the used book store and thrift shop has made me appreciate ebooks even more as none of that is necessary with ebooks.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #42
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True, but on the other hand, I have never ever had to "fix" paper books

There are some (small) advantages to paper books. It seems they're still more carefully put together than e-books.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #43
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
True, but on the other hand, I have never ever had to "fix" paper books

There are some (small) advantages to paper books. It seems they're still more carefully put together than e-books.
I've had to fix paper books. I've had to tape or glue books that were falling apart. Again, ebooks have the advantage there too.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #44
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I've had to fix paper books. I've had to tape or glue books that were falling apart. Again, ebooks have the advantage there too.
I meant that I never had to fix layouts in paper books But yeah, e-books don't fall apart while reading them, except when your reader quits on you
Old 01-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #45
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
Not everything is in electronic format (or an open format) so i do have a lot of paper books. I have many old & somewhat obscure political tracts + academic books. I borrow more general works from the public library or download from gutenberg, etc. I guess i could digitise my paper books, but i know i'm not going to do that. I'm mostly unsentimental about paper books & have sold many to second hand book dealers before moves.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote