Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Sax
Sax began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
No functionality after installing DictioLaunchX-0.87 on sigh.. main memory

Hello,

I am in serious trouble with my PRS-505 after I have stupidly installed the DictioLaunchX-0.87 (downloaded from here http://code.google.com/p/dictiolaunch/) on the reader memory and not on a memory card.

I have copied the SonyReader directory on the memory as well as the dictionary files. In the root there is the myvm2.xml file.

Result: the reader does not work anymore. The main menu do not respond.

I did the software reset but the result is always the same.

I have also tried the hardware reset (software reset, power on, 'mark'+'vol +' buttons hold for several seconds) but I never visualized the reset page for deleting (it would not be a problem) all the memory content.

Moreover, the usb connection is dead. Computer recognize the removable disks but then clicking on them the message "please insert a disk..." appears.

I think I have done some irreversible damage. Does anybody knows a stronger reset procedure or a method for reading the memory by usb.

Thank you ,

A stupid desperate reader.
Sax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi,

don't panic! Take another deep breath, PRS-505 is (nearly) unbrickable.
First download the Sony FW-Updater (eg. from here)
Reset your reader, restart it and immediately connect to USB. (It dosn't matter that the volumes are not readable.)
Fire up the Installer (assuming a Windows OS) and try to update the firmware.

If this fails, there is the 10 times reset methode, to set the reader in firmware update mode.
Reset the reader, flipp the powerswitch and on the first flashing of the screen reset again.
After the tenth reset/restart a message about necessary firmware update should be shown.
Connect to USB and use the Firmware-Updater mentioned above.

HTM
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #3
Sax
Sax began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Thank you Mark Nord you really reassured me.

I will tell you if the procedure works.

Meanwhile, I have also discovered that the vol+ button (necessary for the hardware reset procedure) is not working. The reader is a second hand device I have purchased from a colleague to get closer to the e-book world and it likely had a club in that part of the chassis.

Bye,

Sax
Sax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, hardware reset, installation