Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
Has B&N completely left the discount world?

I've been noticing more and more on the monthly Discount/Freebies section for mystery/fiction/whatever topics that there's less and less from B&N, or pretty much ANYBODY in epub format. Is this just 'cause Amazon has taken over the entire world or is there something else going on?

For example, in February, Scott Pratt had 4 books at $.99 at Amazon (they're not $.99 any more, but that's a different problem). I can't even FIND them for the Nook at B&N. And I frequently check when I find something in this area where it's $.99 or $1.99 or $2.99 at Amazon, and if I DO find it at B&N it's $7 or $8...

It's not a huge deal 'cause I've got a Kindle reader on the Nexus, but I much prefer other readers to the limitations of the Kindle reader... And yeah, I know I could probably convert everything, but I'd prefer not to get into the whole legal/illegal converting thing...

So, is B&N just not interested in competing with Amazon, figure most people won't check prices elsewhere, or are they in so much trouble they CAN'T compete any more?
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
In my experience, B&N has always been "more expensive" than the other guy...whoever that "other guy" was. Back before ebooks, B&N was the last place I went for books unless it was the only place I could find the books.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post

For example, in February, Scott Pratt had 4 books at $.99 at Amazon (they're not $.99 any more, but that's a different problem). I can't even FIND them for the Nook at B&N. And I frequently check when I find something in this area where it's $.99 or $1.99 or $2.99 at Amazon, and if I DO find it at B&N it's $7 or $8...
Scott Pratt's ebooks are in the KDP Select group so they are exclusive to Amazon.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
It is not that B&N doesn't wish to compete, it is that Amazon insists on exclusivity and many authors think that they are better off acceding to Amazon than being available on multiple platforms.

Supposedly, Amazon controls 50% to 60% of the ebook market. That leaves 40% to 50% for the ePub market. Yet most authors only think of Amazon when it comes to selling their ebooks.

I have stopped looking at the freebies/deals postings here at MR because they are almost all Amazon-only deals. Occasionally someone will post a freebie/deal for B&N, Kobo, Sony, or Smashwords, but so rarely that it is a waste of time to read all of the freebie/deals posts.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
It is not that B&N doesn't wish to compete, it is that Amazon insists on exclusivity and many authors think that they are better off acceding to Amazon than being available on multiple platforms.
Amazon does not make exclusivity a condition to offer an author's book as an ebook, they only insist on exclusivity if an author wants their book to be made available for lending.

Quote:
The program is called KDP Select. In exchange for agreeing to sell their e-books exclusively in the Kindle Store, self-published authors can add those books to the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library, which allows Amazon Prime members who own Kindles to borrow one e-book for free each month.

Last edited by xendula; 02-19-2013 at 09:34 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Just checked Amazon, B&N and Kobo for Clive Davis' memoirs. These are prices in the United States:

Amazon $12.74
B&N $16.99
Kobo $14.99

For a sample size of one book, B&N is more expensive. Anecdotally I have seen B&N more expensive than other companies for the books, music and movies I have checked but it may just be whatever I checked at that time.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
I have stopped looking at the freebies/deals postings here at MR because they are almost all Amazon-only deals. Occasionally someone will post a freebie/deal for B&N, Kobo, Sony, or Smashwords, but so rarely that it is a waste of time to read all of the freebie/deals posts.
Don't you use Kobo coupons/discount codes posted here? I have Kindle and Amazon account(s) but I've noticed that when there are 40-45% Kobo discount codes many books were cheaper on Kobo than on Amazon....
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:

Supposedly, Amazon controls 50% to 60% of the ebook market. That leaves 40% to 50% for the ePub market. Yet most authors only think of Amazon when it comes to selling their ebooks.

That's so frustrating. There are some authors whose books I had to buy at Amazon because they don't have their book in any other market. When they are told this, the response is usually something along the lines of "Well, maybe in the future it'll be available in other formats and other stores". This usually means never.
[/rant]

As for B&N, I have to agree with FizzyWater. I never thought the store was very inexpensive, even when they and Borders pretty much controlled the US book market. I preferred Borders because they seemed to have better prices. So I'm not surprised that B&N usually charges more than some other book sellers.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The issue goes beyond KDP Select (which is only a 180K titles or so).
The reality is that where other vendors run promos (free or non-free) for a few dozen ebooks at a time, Amazon runs promos for a few *hundred* at a time.
And, on *top* of that, they allow/encourage KDP Select participants to run their own promos. (5 Free days over 3 months.)

If you're a bargain-hunter you will at any point in time find a whole lot more deals with Kindle than with the epub crowd. And then you factor in all the *Free Kindle ebooks!* websites picking up eyeballs and clicks by sorting through the freebies and highlighting them and the visibility of the Kindle bargains starts to swamp out the visibility of the competition. (There's money in promoting free Kindle books even if they're not *your* books.)

So, no; B&N (and Kobo and Sony) still run promo discounts.
But not as many people notice or pass the tips on...

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-19-2013 at 02:27 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Amazon doesn't only run their own promos, they price match practically everything Apple and B&N discount as well, so their reputation of having the lowest price is well earned.

I like deals and I rarely bother looking at other sites (except Kobo with their discount codes), it's not worth the effort.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The issue goes beyond KDP Select (which is only a 180K titles or so).
We're up to 295,000 titles now.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
B&N has Daily Find discounts similar to the Kindle Daily Deal. That's how I make most purchases from them. B&N also has a weekly "Free Friday" promotion on their Nook blog.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
B&N also has 101 Nook books under $2.99:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/eboo...less/379003856

Like other people have said: Deals from other bookstores just not get the same publicity as those by Amazon.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
B&N has Daily Find discounts similar to the Kindle Daily Deal. That's how I make most purchases from them. B&N also has a weekly "Free Friday" promotion on their Nook blog.
How many?
Amazon *starts* with the "100 Kindle books..." monthly promo.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000706171
And it grows from there...

They have more discounted books, they have more books priced at $2.99-6.99 before promos, and they have all those discount book web sites. It adds up.

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-19-2013 at 05:54 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
B&N also has 101 Nook books under $2.99:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/eboo...less/379003856

Like other people have said: Deals from other bookstores just not get the same publicity as those by Amazon.
That may be true, but even B&N themselves do little to promote their deals. I get multiple emails for them every week and seldom are any deals mentioned.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote