Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Maybe off topic but my main reason for getting an ereader was availabilty of books where I work.

I would refuse a job in a town without a library and the town I am in now does not even sell paperbacks anywhere.

Not a problem anymore although I live in fear of my ereader dying.

you need a backup
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #17
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
pbook .... no battery needed.
And they will always open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Maybe off topic but my main reason for getting an ereader was availabilty of books where I work.

I would refuse a job in a town without a library and the town I am in now does not even sell paperbacks anywhere.

Not a problem anymore although I live in fear of my ereader dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
you need a backup
Yes you do
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Yikes, if we feel the need to have back-up e-readers, I think we have just lost any semblance of financial advantage. $200+ buys a lot of paper books.

Lady Fitzgerald - Nice point-by-point analysis. For my part, I would amend two points: #3 and #7.

#3 - If I had to choose between losing my place in a p-book vs. dropping and breaking an e-reader, I'd lose the place every time. That costs a couple minutes to fix instead of big bucks.

#7 - For reference reading, there is no comparison: p-books rule. This is maybe not a big point for those of us who are done with school. But loading up a couple of thick reference books with labeled Post-It tabs makes it sooooo easy. (assuming one has the table space!)

I read technical standards at work all the time, and sometimes, on a full-fledged computer, it can be a tie. If I know where things are in the hardcopy standard I can usually find them faster. If I don't, but I remember a search term that will take me there, Adobe Acrobat Reader is much, much faster. Page turns are faster too, but the reading comprehension is not as good for me. My brain just doesn't absorb info from a computer screen as easily as it does from paper or e-ink. So the computer + Adobe Reader + already know the material and just need a refresher, wins. But if I don't already know the material, hardcopy still rules. Navigating on an e-reader with Acrobat is not as quick as having all those buttons, keyboard shortcuts, etc. on a full-fledged computer.

I guess it is a little more complex topic than I'd originally thought.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
8. Multiple books
I like to read several books at a time. I have four or five on my nightstand at any given time. With the Kindle you switch books in absolutely no time. With P-books you close them, put them at the bottom of the pile, open the next one, have to find your place etc. No-brainer; Kindle.
This was not my experience with my Gen 3. With many books on the reader it takes a lot of time to switch book since the navigation is so slow. Switching paper books are much faster. Does the kindle really have support for switching fast?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
All it takes is a a click a cursor move and another click as long as you list the books in the Last Read option. Then again, my nightstand is kind of small and narrow so I need to stack the books on top of each other. Hence the need to put the just finished book in the bottom of the pile.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #21
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I live in Mexico and for twelve years I've been reading what I could get rather than what I wanted to read. That was my main reason for getting my Kindle. Now, I can read what I want to read.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #22
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I prefer a good hardcover book to an e-book. I did decide that ebooks are better than paperbacks, though. It's much easier to read a ebook while eating, or writing notes (for class), with a kid in one arm - no need to hold it open.

A hardcover you can flip open on the table just fine, or on the arm of a chair, or whatever.

It's made a tough dilemma for me - I despise DRM, but ebooks are better than paperbacks - so it's left me kind of in a bind. I'm still buying used paperbacks though - much cheaper.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #23
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
GreenMonkey, the cool thing about used paperbacks is releasing them into the wild at bookcrossing.com afterwards. One just can't do that with an e-book.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #24
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I'm a full-on convert to e-books (haven't picked up a paper book since I got my first e-reader in December 2009).

I found the best part is my thumb feels better! I am a voracious reader and my reading sessions generally last 5-6 hours (or more) at a time. My thumb used to get so sore holding open the book that it would ache for hours after reading. Now, with an e-reader, no thumb problems.

Plus, now I can read while brushing my teeth - a heretofore unused block of potential reading time! One hand with the toothbrush, one with the e-reader. Bliss!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote