Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #16
wchris
Book lover
wchris began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
The Amazon ebook store is much cheaper than either Waterstones or WH Smith. Hopefully, it will persuade them to bring down their prices to suit my Sony
wchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Until Amazon introduced the kindle, readers were independent of books
Uh, no...
Sony LRF was only available on... Sony readers.
And *they* were the first to do eink readers.
They only switched to the Adobe camp *after* Kindle came out.
Before them, Rocketbook and Nuvomedia *also* used proprietary formats.
Ditto the asian readers in between.

When Kindle came out there were no ePub readers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_...riginal_Kindle

ePub itself was only a paper document two months old:
http://www.google.com/search?q=epub+...rlz=1I7ACAW_en

What Amazon did was what Sony was doing. They just did it better.

(shrug)

Competitors compete.
Amazon has their way of competing, the Adobe ADEPT camp has theirs, Apple has theirs.

We choose from the available options, not from a hypothetical Platonian ideal universe. Our choices of commercial ebooks are all tied to one camp or another. None is ideal. Each has strengths, each has weaknesses. (Just try reading an ADEPT ePub on a cellphone. Just try reading an Apple iBook on anything not made by Apple.)

"Is this fair? No.
"Is it unfair? No.
"It simply is." (With apologies to J.M. Straczinski.)

We have choices in life.
Sometimes the choices simply boil down to whining impotently or sucking it in and dealing with it. Pouting serves nobody.

Can't we just get on with the series business of reading and pontificating about it?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #18
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

When Kindle came out there were no ePub readers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_...riginal_Kindle
Huh ! Kindle can't read ePub files ....

Quote:
Can't we just get on with the series business of reading and pontificating about it?
Agreed ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Huh ! Kindle can't read ePub files ....
And if it did it would be the worst thing ever for their competitors and us, the readers.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #20
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I was pleasantly surprised to find the new Neal Asher book "The Technician" was available in the Kindle store a ful 14 days before the hardcover version. Cheaper too. A very pleasant surprise from Tor there. Full marks.

While I was disapointed that the initial Amazon UK offering wasn't really any different content wise from what was already available to UK customers via the US Kindle store hopefully this should be the start of real UK publisher support for ebooks.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon's eBook prices are pretty much always the lowest around, and they seem to be making a genuine effort to make their reading app available on every mobile device they can. Personally I think it's a good strategy, and one which will succeed. As things stand now, I can read Amazon books on my Kindle, iPhone, iPad, or PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #22
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon's eBook prices are pretty much always the lowest around, and they seem to be making a genuine effort to make their reading app available on every mobile device they can. Personally I think it's a good strategy, and one which will succeed. As things stand now, I can read Amazon books on my Kindle, iPhone, iPad, or PC.
My only big fault with Amazon is that there's no Kindle App for Windows Mobile
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #23
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
If it gets any traction, there will be.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Would be nice. But lets face it, when MS deprecated the current WinMo APIs in favor of the new Silverlight+XNS APIs for WinMO7 it pretty much killed the incentive for Kindle for WinMo until the new Phones ship.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #25
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Has anyone figured out a way for non-UK residents to purchase ebooks from Amazon's UK website?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #26
Mercury
Enthusiast
Mercury doesn't litterMercury doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505, iPad
This thread makes me sad. We all want well-priced ebooks, and now we have that with the uk kindle store. (ok, before there were independent publishers and sellers, but mainstream popular writers, no way).

But, I also feel that it has come at quite a high price.

Undoubtedly the knowledgeable and tech-savvy mobile read contributors make up a small proportion of the population. Everybody just wants convenience and ease of buying when it comes to this new technology surrounding ereading. The problem they have is when someone wqnts to buy a different brand of ereader a few years down the line. They buy it and then try and put all the books they have legitimately bought on to it. They built up a huge library, after all. It doesn't take up any shelf space, they can redownload anytime they want or need to, and they paid slightly less than they would have done for the same paperbacks.

If I decide to buy a kindle 3, and I may do, reluctantly at least I will be going in with my eyes open. I won't feel swindled if I cannot move the books I have bought onto a different device. I know the apps for different devices, does expand the number of places you can read kindle bought books, however you are still limited to those companies that amazon chooses to do business with.

Looking at the website, and talking to people who are interested in the kindle, makes me feel that amazon is not being honest enough about the fact that you are not buying a Book, you are buying a licence to read a book.

They are heavily promoting the new kindles to those who may not have thought about reading electronically before, and it does feel as though the drawbacks and potential problems should be highlighted.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote