Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #91
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Having come over to the dark side from Windows a couple of years back, I agree with this poster, but as for Apple getting too greedy, I don't see it. They put out a fine product and yes it would be nice to have usb port, I knew going in that is wasn't to be on the Ipad. It would be nice to be able to transfer files via a flash drive. Maybe in Gen 2.
The reason I think Apple is getting a wee bit too greedy is plain and simple. In this day and age not providing a USB (or even a mini USB) port is simply inexcusable. Unless you consider theories such as the one I put forward.
Apple is making lots of money (and rightly so) by making good hardware. Not including basics such as USB ports and cameras is just plain nasty.
There should be no need for you to wait for Gen 2 or fork out money for after market accessories for this.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #92
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
The reason I think Apple is getting a wee bit too greedy is plain and simple. In this day and age not providing a USB (or even a mini USB) port is simply inexcusable. Unless you consider theories such as the one I put forward.
Apple is making lots of money (and rightly so) by making good hardware. Not including basics such as USB ports and cameras is just plain nasty.
There should be no need for you to wait for Gen 2 or fork out money for after market accessories for this.
Actually, where I think they have gotten a wee bit too greedy is in eliminating the accessories they used to provide for free-my first iPhone came with a dock, USB-30 pin cable, cleaning cloth, power adapter. The next version, the dock became an option-and the old dock didn't work with the new version. The old Macbooks came with wireless remotes-the new ones its a $19 accessory.

But I disagree with your assessment of the USB connector/camera adaptor (although I would be upset if they provided them in the first version and not subsequent ones ).

Neither of those are necessary for the iPad to function, and neither really add anything significant to the main usages of the iPad, imho, and to consider them "basic" features isn't accurate, at least in regards to how the iPad works.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #93
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
It's not greed, it's keeping the profit margin. Have you noticed how the original iPhone and the iPhone 4 both cost the same (at launch day) [yes, I know Apple lowered the initial price for the iPhone "1", but it has stayed the same since then], but beefing up the machine with more power, more memory and more more?
Also, I think Apple likes to put design before function. So if a USB host component might cause an increase of 0.05mm in thickness and it just doesn't feel thin anymore to his Jobsness, they'll can it and sick R&D on integrating USB with whatever chip they think could handle a few extra layers.

USB Host on an iPad would make a lot of sense, as it would on an iPhone. I would like to be able to download images from my camera onto my iPhone ... photo bucket in your pocket
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #94
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Having come over to the dark side from Windows a couple of years back, I agree with this poster, but as for Apple getting too greedy, I don't see it. They put out a fine product and yes it would be nice to have usb port, I knew going in that is wasn't to be on the Ipad. It would be nice to be able to transfer files via a flash drive. Maybe in Gen 2.
The greediness comes from the much inflated pricetags of all their products. 50% margins or better seem normal for Apple. As a consumer, I don't like that.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 AM   #95
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
The grass ain't so green on the other side of the fence, either:
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...h-on-two-apps/
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #96
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
The grass ain't so green on the other side of the fence, either:
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/27/...h-on-two-apps/
Yeah, but that's ok - Google is just a little bit evil

Last edited by m-reader; 06-28-2010 at 05:30 AM. Reason: I was wrong! :)
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote