Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Zorana
Zorana began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Never switching it off - is it bad for the reader?

This question has been discussed before, but I could not browse any clear answer, so here I go again: if I never switch off my Sony PRS-900, but only put it into sleep mode, would it be bad for the device?

Switching if off and on again takes time, and waking it for the sleep mode is so quick and easy. Beside, I realized that the battery lasts very long (over two weeks) when I don't shut the reader down, but the moment when I switch it on (in case it had been switched off totally), the indication bar goes down immediately. I am only worried about the impact on the reader. Your comments will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Zorana
Zorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
Well, I guess you will charge the battery more often, and that probably shortens its life. I have the 900 as well, and I do not shut the device down fully either. At least this reader has a user replaceable battery if/when that becomes an issue.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Zorana

Thanks for your reply, but that exactly is my impression - that the battery lasts longer when I keep my reader in the sleep mode. In fact, I use it many times every day, sometimes for hours, sometimes just to check something out very briefly, that is why the sleep mode is so very convenient for me. And if it is only about battery, my issue has been solved. I was more concerned about the machine itself.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Yair!

I was wondering the same thing. I only put mine in sleep mode. Is that good enough? or is it like a laptop that likes a proper shut down occasionally?
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I have never shut down my 505 since I bought it (which is about 1 1/4 year) and never had problems.
I tried on my 600 (just for fun) how shutting down over night impacts battery life. My reading habits provide 7 days of battery life when on stand by. It's about 11 days if I completely shut down over night. But I don't like the boot up time and I guess this could be faster but I suspect that reader verifies that the files on the reader still match up its internal database.

So, I cannot replace any battery in my readers (well, I guess I can, but it's not as easy as on the 900) and never had a problem whether or not I completely shut down or use it in stand by. So I would just go with whatever you prefer, maybe giving the reader an occasional reboot every quarter year.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Zorana

Thanks, Mike, that is very good to know! It all makes sense, and I think I will go on using my reader in stand by, and reboot it only when I am sure I won't use it for several days.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And I'll agree with Mike on this one... I've never shut my 505 down in over 2 years of use... I read at least an hour per day (usually a lot more) and recharge around 10 days to 2 weeks (battery strip rarely below 2 bars)... I also dislike the wait for full start compared to wake up time.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Stupid question: there's a sleep mode? I have a 900 and never knew this. How do i put it into sleep mode?
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorana View Post
Thanks for your reply, but that exactly is my impression - that the battery lasts longer when I keep my reader in the sleep mode.
My point was that you will need to replace the battery sooner as you will use up the battery's charge cycle limits somewhat sooner. Again, not a big deal for the 900.

If not shutting the device down completely causes problems like memory leak or database errors, just do a full shut down or a reset if necessary.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
Zorana

Tulsa, the sleep mode and the shut down switch is the same on the left upper corner of your device. When you slide it to the right and keep for more then 3 secs, it asks you if you want to shut down, and when you press "yes", off it goes. If you just slide it briefly, it will go to the sleep mode.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorana View Post
Tulsa, the sleep mode and the shut down switch is the same on the left upper corner of your device. When you slide it to the right and keep for more then 3 secs, it asks you if you want to shut down, and when you press "yes", off it goes. If you just slide it briefly, it will go to the sleep mode.
Ah, ok. Never knew that. I guess I've been putting it into sleep mode all this time while thinking I was actually turning it off. thx for the clarification.
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Yes, off is actually sleep mode. I think I saw something like this described within the manual, but with most intuitive stuff, most people don't read that part of the manual and just skip to the next part (including me). And I would think that a power on/off switch should be intuitive, or not???
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I have had my 505 since late October 2008, and I have never shut it down either. I never really thought much about it. There was a case when i didnʻt read anything on it for about a month *gasp* and it was dead when it came time to turn it on. I plugged it in, charged it up, and didnʻt have that issue again.

Now if it wears a battery off faster to have more charging cycles, then how does that relate to the fact that I guess I am "topping it off" regularly when I hook it up to the computer to download books? Some weeks I do that almost every day, some weeks not at all. Am I wearing my battery out faster that way? is the 505 battery replaceable? I should know that, but canʻt remember...
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
Ken401
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Now if it wears a battery off faster to have more charging cycles, then how does that relate to the fact that I guess I am "topping it off" regularly when I hook it up to the computer to download books? Some weeks I do that almost every day, some weeks not at all. Am I wearing my battery out faster that way? is the 505 battery replaceable? I should know that, but canʻt remember...
The 505 battery is not user replaceable without taking it apart.

I don't worry about the little top-off from loading a book, but I don't intentionally charge it until it gets down to one or two bars.

Life is short, just enjoy your reader. You'll probably consider it obsolete before it needs a new battery.

Sorry if this is off topic...