Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
CES: jetbook-lite is sexiest ebook reader (high quality video by Hak5)

I really like this jetBook-lite video from CES show
http://revision3.com/hak5/ces2010-pa...0-ebook-reader
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I love my Jetbook but I'd hardly cal it the sexiest e-reader. Not by a long shot. That presenter on the other hand isn't so bad herself.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
TFT screen, have fun with eye strain.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie102 View Post
What about it leads to eye strain? You talking about the flicker of the backlight? Yeah, that could be a problem, if the jetBook had a backlight. It's a reflective screen, not an emissive one, so it has no backlight.

If you're worried about TFT, you may want to be careful with your Sony, as its E-Ink screen is TFT-backed. Don't want that to cause excessive eyestrain, do we?

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-25-2010 at 12:56 PM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
No any eye strain. See below:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
TFT screen without the backlight should decrease eye-strain from normal back-lit LCDs.

Certainly a good thing. But I wonder how viewing angle and contrast compares to e-ink. Personally, I've had several reflective non-back-lit devices in the day and I found the text to be less readable than e-ink devices given identical ambient lighting.
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
TFT screen without the backlight should decrease eye-strain from normal back-lit LCDs.

Certainly a good thing. But I wonder how viewing angle and contrast compares to e-ink. Personally, I've had several reflective non-back-lit devices in the day and I found the text to be less readable than e-ink devices given identical ambient lighting.

This is one of those conclusions that goes to one's subjective take on it. I have both a jetBook and a number of e-ink devices. I personally perfer e-ink over TFT.

One is not "better" than the other; it's what one perfers.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
I've looked around a bit, but I haven't found the information: what exactly is the resolution of this tft screen?
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Thundergirls
Thundergirls began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
I totally agree. If you consider it, almost any piece of technology (given that it WORKS) is going to be subject to user preferences, environment, personal history (skill/comfort level).

I bought a JetBook Lite on sale while waiting for my Nook to arrive, and when it did I found the Nook to be difficult to read. I had to use my higher-power specs to view it comfortably, and it seems the text is softer which also is a challenge to my less-than-perfect vision.

I was disappointed by the not-quite-so-bright-white background of the Nook as well, and by comparison I find the JetBook's screen easier to read in subdued lighting.

But again, not pressing an argument, just agreeing that there really ISN'T an argument here, use the one you prefer. My wife is now the proud owner of the Nook.

My only purpose for comment is for those wondering which to buy, the readability issue is one that you should decide for yourself. If possible, find someone who owns one, visit a B&N store, the proof is in the trying it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is one of those conclusions that goes to one's subjective take on it. I have both a jetBook and a number of e-ink devices. I personally perfer e-ink over TFT.

One is not "better" than the other; it's what one perfers.

Don
Thundergirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I'd buy a Jetbook lite as a secondary reader if it had an electroluminescent back light. My old Handspring Visor's had LCD screens probably not too different (other than size and resolution) than on the Jetbook lite, and they had electroluminescent back lighting that could be switched on for reading in the dark. It wasn't pretty, but it was serviceable. (And a big help during the big ice storm that hit the southeast US a few weeks back when I went about a week without electricity.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
I too think it looks great. Amazon has it for $150 so it's not a bad price. I read about 3 to 4 hours a day, so that makes new batteries every 6 or 8 days - a lot of waste. I would really consider rechargeable batteries for it.

Does anyone know if it plays MP3 files too? I see it does audio books but I am more interested in music whilst I read.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
On the JetBook Forum there seems to be some difference with respect to DRM. It seems that the JetBook Lite has DRM support for PDB only. But, that there is some firmware for more. And that firmware is not available for JetBook YET.

Does anyone who has one know the real story? The list of supported formats is impressive. I suspect the supported list of formats with DRM is much smaller.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Anything remotely sexy about the idea of AA power source?

Sorry, but could've there been cheaper rechargables instead of just AA?

EDIT: Well yeah there are already, but does it come with rechargable type AA's?
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
I've looked around a bit, but I haven't found the information: what exactly is the resolution of this tft screen?
640x480. The resolution and viewing angle limit are probably the biggest detractors, other than the constant power draw.

If they could update this screen to support resolutions higher than 200ppi, I'd like it a lot more than E-Ink.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
Mobert
Enthusiast
Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I posted this in another thread. My video showing the difference in viewing angle of the Jetbook vs e-ink. To my eyes, the Jetbook does have higher sharper contrast but only at the optimal angle. The visibility drops off at off angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8GsvLl9zUY
Mobert is offline   Reply With Quote