Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Do you load pdfs on K2, or convert to mobi?

I have been converting everything to mobi, using Mobipocket Creator. But I recently got a K2 and know K2 can read non-DRMd PDF. So does it look any better? I know I could do it myself, but I am at work. I thought I remembered reading that text size doesn't work in PDF.

So do you still convert, or read pdfs?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Americanchild
Enthusiast
Americanchild doesn't litterAmericanchild doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
I use Mobi to convert. Looks much better and you can adjust the text size which you can't do with a native PDF on Kindle 2. I tried using Calibre to convert the PDFs but Mobi professional just does a better job and it is free too.
Americanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I don't read PDF books. The PDFs I prefer to put on my Kindle (99%), are those I've made myself. I make them with MS Word and make the page size the dimensions of the screen with a larger font. Then I use CutePDF to print to PDF.

If it's a document with links, I use the CutePDF software to add them in after the PDF is created. There may be software better suited for this but this is software I use for work and am more familiar with.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
PDF to EPUB to Mobi is much better on the kindle than PFD to Mobi.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Americanchild
Enthusiast

What converter are you using to go from PDF to EPub to Mobi?
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I usually export the PDF to HTML using Acrobat Pro and then depending on the results use Book Designer and then Sigil or just Sigil to create an ePub, then convert to Mobi using Calibre. Can take some time, but I'm kinda picky about how things look.

I have a couple of PDFs that, after trimming the margins, are close enough to screen size that I've read them as PDFs, but while they read fine I still prefer Mobi.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I just converted a book from pdf to epub with Calibre. It had no chapters, so I used Sigil to create them. It's all so time consuming but it was a great learning exercise.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Americanchild
Enthusiast

Oh no, a new application I haven't tried, Sigil! I feel like a junior programmer. LOL. Ok, I guess I will try some new things this weekend. Thanks everyone, you are all wonderful.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
gatorfan
gatorfan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Jetbook
I converted one of my reference books from pdf to mobi so far.

Basic Radiation Protection Technology Rev 5.
gatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanchild View Post
calibre does it,
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
If a pdf is a single huge column/normal-looking textblock, I convert so I can have the note-taking, underlining, and integrated dictionary functionality.

I'm reading heaps of articles for a class, right now, and all of those available as pdf-only are 2-or-more columns. Like the New Yorker or New York Times in print. In my experience, those don't convert *at all*. If something's changed on that, someone Please Let Me Know.

The last time I tried converting multi-column pdf's with Mobipocket Creator and Calibre, it strung line 1 of columns 1-3 (and lines 2, 3, etc.) all together into a single line that made no sense read on the Kindle.

These days, I just move any multi-column pdf's directly onto my K2, and read in landscape mode. For my life, it's better than spring semester last year (from Feb. on). Back then, the only practical means I had to avoid printing my pdf readings, was to read them on my iPod touch -- first via Evernote (sync, 'favorite' everything for offline reading... better than printing, but a hassle); then using GoodReader (which was 5 bucks, but worth it). GoodReader and Evernote don't allow note-taking on pdf's any more than Kindle does; I'm just glad to have everything on one device.

Last edited by thorn; 01-23-2010 at 07:01 PM.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanchild View Post
I just go PDF to Mobi using Mobipocket Creator.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I only put PDFs I created myself on my Kindle, so I can create them with a page size that matches the screen.

The PDF viewer on Kindle can't - as far as I'm aware - zoom, but only display the PDF fit-to-width, and most PDFs are created with a larger page size. It makes the PDF viewer very limited - but I'm still glad it's there. With some documents, such as recipes or travel itineries, it's nice to be sure that a certain set of information is displayed on one page.
Edit: almost wrote 'time travel itineries' - when will technology catch up?

Last edited by Ea; 01-27-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote