Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Need help with text encoding

I have a CD which I bought with multiple Bible versions on it. I would like to put one of them on my Sony PRS-505. The files on the CD show up as .txt format. I have opened them in several text editing programs and also in Word. The first page is readable, but the rest is gibberish. I have applied ALL the text encoding filters in the various programs to no avail. I have opened it in a hex editor also to no avail. I have included screen shots of the first page and an example of the subsequent pages. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	text 1.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	20010   Click image for larger version

Name:	text 2.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	20011  
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Probably best: Try printing "the document" to a file 9chapter by chapter,or perhaps the whole bible
2: Try opening the files using other Bible software.
middle way: Try copy pasting the text from the screen, unto another window
Worst case: Print screen every screen, and OCR it.

the text doesn't say which format it is. Seeing that the CD contains 8 versions, there must be at least 5 copyrighted versions of the Bible on that CD, which is probably why it's encoded.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
There are 2 possibilities, honestly:

1. This is no text but another format. Are you sure the format is txt?
2. The CD has not been burned correctly and has, therefore, garbled all the text.

I think 1 is more probable.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
There are 2 possibilities, honestly:

1. This is no text but another format. Are you sure the format is txt?
2. The CD has not been burned correctly and has, therefore, garbled all the text.

I think 1 is more probable.
1) The file is listed as a txt file in windows explorer and defaults to open with Notepad.

2) it is a commercial CD and the file opens fine from within the program.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:29 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
1) The file is listed as a txt file in windows explorer and defaults to open with Notepad.
That's only because it is named whatever.txt (even if you may not see the ".txt" part, because Windows is configured to hide it).

Quote:
2) it is a commercial CD and the file opens fine from within the program.
Unfortunately, "commercial" is not a guarantee of anything. The fact that the file opens at all means at least that the filesystem structure is not too corrupted, but still there could be some corruption in the file itself. I would contact the seller.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
daesdaemar
Addict

I was able to export the file out of the program and open it with Word. At least now I have editable text and can format it for the Sony. Thanks for advice from all of you.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
You may see if the version you have is downloadable online.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
I was able to export the file out of the program and open it with Word. At least now I have editable text and can format it for the Sony. Thanks for advice from all of you.
What version of the Bible is this?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What version of the Bible is this?
NRSV Catholic version
Old 12-31-2008, 05:03 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is most definitely under copyright protection!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:36 AM   #11
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:
That is most definitely under copyright protection!
I have paid for the bibles ($99 for the CD). I presume that I am allowed to read a copy on my reader since the program allows export to a file. Why else would that menu command be available if not to allow working with the files?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:42 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Totally agree with you. Just making sure that you were aware of the copyright status so you didn't repost it here .
Old 12-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
daesdaemar
Addict

Quote:
Totally agree with you. Just making sure that you were aware of the copyright status so you didn't repost it here .
Agreed...