Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
Martin Smith
Martin Smith began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Price of e-books

I like the idea of the E-reader as I think it will encourage me to read more during my commute. However I am put off by the price of content.

Looking at the Amazon and Sony US models it seems the price of ebooks is very similar (and in some cases more) than the price charged for print versions. I was surprised at this and baulk at paying comparable prices for digital versions as for the hard copy, with no second hand market available and no possibility for me to lend books to friends when I've finished reading them.

If I end up getting an ereader I guess that I will very likely end up using it primarily for catching up on out of copyright classics such as the ones available at www.gutenberg.org whilst waiting for the publishers to get their pricing policy in order

Are there any other good sources of free / low cost ebooks?

Also how do you see the e-book market progressing in the future?

A good use of DRM for me would be things like the possibility of "renting" books (say by paying 10% of the selling price per day with the DRM controlling an expiry date). Does this exist already somewhere?

I can also imagine a situation where authors completely bypass publishers and sell their e-books to the consumer direct. Does anything like this exist already? If so where and what is the quality of content like?
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smith View Post
A good use of DRM for me would be things like the possibility of "renting" books (say by paying 10% of the selling price per day with the DRM controlling an expiry date). Does this exist already somewhere?
Sony did this with the Librie (their original eInk book reader) in Japan. It was a complete commercial disaster. People want to "own" ebooks, not rent them.

There are, however, a number of libraries which "lend out" MobiPocket format eBooks with time-limited DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
Martin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sony did this with the Librie (their original eInk book reader) in Japan. It was a complete commercial disaster. People want to "own" ebooks, not rent them.

There are, however, a number of libraries which "lend out" MobiPocket format eBooks with time-limited DRM.
I'm surprised at that.

I generally will only read a fiction book once (unless I get the urge to read and don't happen to have anything around that I haven't read before) so "owning" an e-book I have already read would not be important to me - as long as the price I was paying to rent was sufficiently lower than the price to buy.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The selection of ebooks is a bigger issue than price for me. When I want a book, if I can find it in the Sony eBook Store I'll pay up to $20. Well I will do when I have some credit on my eBook Store account. But usually the books I want aren't there... luckily I have other sources that are much more efficient and free .

I think the future of ebook sales will be like mp3s: it will always be easier and quicker to get them pirated. I don't think I'd pay to hire ebooks but I'd certainly be more inclined to buy a book if I knew the money was going straight to the author.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Martin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
The selection of ebooks is a bigger issue than price for me.

Sorry I'm still getting up to speed with ebooks/ereaders

Does the selection of books available also depend largely on the device you have or are most books available in multiple DRM formats?
Advert
Old 03-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Most books are available in all the main DRM formats. Choice of DRM format doesn't really affect your choice of books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Martin Smith. I tend to agree with about the prices of ebooks. The publisher saves a ton of money with an ebook yet greedily doesn't pass it on to the reading public. Sort of like the odious 'convenience' cinemas and sports venues add onto to your internet ticket purchase. They are essentially charging you for saving them money.

And publishers could greatly increase the popularity of ebooks were they to drop the prices.

Having said all that, I'm still hooked on the things but would be more so were they a bit cheaper.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
I've been happy with my Kindle and find it's a great convenience to be able to read a review on a book and then find it in the Kindle store on Amazon, and then be able to buy it for ten bucks {usually}. Still it galls me to go to Sam's or some such discount store and find the same books cheaper. It's hard for me to justify spending ten bucks for an e-copy when I can get the p-book for two to three dollars less. I find that despite my e-readers, I am still buying p-books!
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
(Ahem.)

Spend more time looking around the site, and you'll find some good indie authors with low-cost, light-or-no-DRM e-books in multiple formats for you.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
Martin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi Martin Smith. I tend to agree with about the prices of ebooks. The publisher saves a ton of money with an ebook yet greedily doesn't pass it on to the reading public. Sort of like the odious 'convenience' cinemas and sports venues add onto to your internet ticket purchase. They are essentially charging you for saving them money.

And publishers could greatly increase the popularity of ebooks were they to drop the prices.

Having said all that, I'm still hooked on the things but would be more so were they a bit cheaper.
The other thing that worries me a bit about the pricing policy is the lack of compatibility between DRM formats. If I was to make a big investment in books from the Sony connect store and later wanted to purchase a different brand of reader I guess these would be useless to me?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
Martin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
(Ahem.)

Spend more time looking around the site, and you'll find some good indie authors with low-cost, light-or-no-DRM e-books in multiple formats for you.
Thanks, I've seen the e-books forum. Looks like some good stuff on there
Old 03-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
a.vojtko
a.vojtko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Price of e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by giedre View Post
Still it galls me to go to Sam's or some such discount store and find the same books cheaper. It's hard for me to justify spending ten bucks for an e-copy when I can get the p-book for two to three dollars less. I find that despite my e-readers, I am still buying p-books!
While it's sometimes hard to remember this as a consumer (vs a supplier), keep in mind that no vendor can price their products to match Sam's Club and Costco discounts. They are able to eat such enormous discounts only because they are selling at such high volume.

Also, most ebooks I've seen/bought are lower, by at least 15%, than their print counterparts. This is especially true for fiction and more or less accurate for nonfiction and technical-type titles. I think if you are in the market for an ebook edition, it's for a reason - you want to read on the go, need to increase the font size and hate large print, or don't have the space to carry as many books with you as you'd like - and price isn't a huge issue, especially when we've already shelled out the cash for a dedicated reader! And just as some people spend more money on hardcover editions when paperbacks are readily available, those who truly want an ebook won't mind paying a few extra bucks every once in a while.
a.vojtko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have found that my ebooks are much less expensive than paperbacks. I'm still fairly new to ebooks, having gotten my EB-1150 for Christmas. Most of the books I have bought were from the eBookwise site, and there seems to always be a sale of some sort going on. I subscribed to their newsletter which gives details of the specials, and I've gotten some really great bargains on books.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
welcome DixieGal. Glad you are enjoying your EB-1150. We have some great free eBooks for it on this site.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #15
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
e-books should be free,or it isnt an E-book,thats what I think.seriously, if youre gonna spend money on it,buy it in the flesh.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote