Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
JimBob1971
Enthusiast
JimBob1971 began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
Dictionary recommendations please?

Anyone able to suggest a good English dictionary to use with the Iliad? I've seen the Concise Oxford and Collins, but they are quite expensive, especially compared to the paper varieties, so I rather ask before buying. An integrated lookup for PDFs and mobibooks would be great.

Thanks!
JimBob1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the Chambers dictionary on my CyBook, and am very pleased with it. It would work equally well on the iLiad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #3
JimBob1971
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have the Chambers dictionary on my CyBook, and am very pleased with it. It would work equally well on the iLiad.
Wow! $50 for the dictionary alone on Mobipocket! $65 with the thesaurus included. I'll see if I can find it cheaper on other eBook stores. Can it be used on PDFs etc or do I have to install PBReader for that?

Last edited by JimBob1971; 02-23-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It only works with MobiPocket books.

I know it's expensive, but how often do you buy a dictionary? This is the first one I've bought in close to 30 years. If this one lasts equally long, I'll consider it a bargain .

The nice thing is that you can use it on the Windows desktop Mobi reader too, and there it has very sophisticated search facilities - wildcard searches, etc. On the Gen3/iLiad it can only be used for looking up words in a book, not searching.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
JimBob1971
Enthusiast

Ok, I'll give it a look. Thanks
Advert
Old 02-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are a couple of free dictionaries in the Mobi/PRC Books forum.

I have the Pocket Oxford dictionary, and comparing it to the Concise demo I think it is a little clearer when the word is there (140K vs 240K words). However, I would now buy the Concise rather than the Pocket - because 240K definitions don't weigh any more on a e-book device than 140K.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:28 AM   #7
JimBob1971
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There are a couple of free dictionaries in the Mobi/PRC Books forum.

I have the Pocket Oxford dictionary, and comparing it to the Concise demo I think it is a little clearer when the word is there (140K vs 240K words). However, I would now buy the Concise rather than the Pocket - because 240K definitions don't weigh any more on a e-book device than 140K.
Thanks for the reply. I took Harry's advice and got the Chambers (and Thesaurus)

Wow, I knew Mobipocket was expensive, but I didn't expect them to add an ADDITIONAL 19.5% on top for VAT! What is the point of eBooks if they are MORE expensive than the paper equivalent? Mobipocket better get their act in gear or they'll be out of business soon! Especially as I bought from another store online, and not via the mobipocket software, and I didn't get charged VAT

Last edited by JimBob1971; 02-25-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob1971 View Post
Wow, I knew Mobipocket was expensive, but I didn't expect them to add an ADDITIONAL 19.5% on top for VAT! What is the point of eBooks if they are MORE expensive than the paper equivalent? Mobipocket better get their act in gear or they'll be out of business soon! Especially as I bought from another store online, and not via the mobipocket software, and I didn't get charged VAT
MobiPocket are in the position of being both retailers AND wholesalers to all the other MobiPocket stores; I suspect they keep their prices high so as not to undercut their suppliers. As you say, it's generally cheaper to buy elsewhere.

Mobi have to charge you the French rate of VAT since you live in the EU. Presumbly the other store you bought from was in the US, hence VAT didn't apply.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #9
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob1971 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I took Harry's advice and got the Chambers (and Thesaurus)

What? VAT on books? Since when? There is absolutely no VAT on books in the UK. VAT on ebooks will certainly make them more expensive than dead-tree books. If any thing, ebooks should be subsidized like solar heating and diesel engine cars (low road tax). 19.5% VAT? Am I missing something here?
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #10
JimBob1971
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
What? VAT on books? Since when? There is absolutely no VAT on books in the UK. VAT on ebooks will certainly make them more expensive than dead-tree books. If any thing, ebooks should be subsidized like solar heating and diesel engine cars (low road tax). 19.5% VAT? Am I missing something here?
I wasn't very switched on at the time, and just assumed it would be the same with all the stores. The annoying thing was I found the dictionary on another store in the US that was slightly cheaper, but would have saved myself a packet in the long run.

Last edited by JimBob1971; 02-25-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:01 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
When you buy something from another EU country, you get charged the VAT rate of the seller (19.6% in France), not your VAT rate. Books are indeed "zero-rated" for VAT in the UK, but they aren't in France, which is what matters here, I'm afraid.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #12
JimBob1971
Enthusiast

Quote:
When you buy something from another EU country, you get charged the VAT rate of the seller (19.6% in France), not your VAT rate. Books are indeed "zero-rated" for VAT in the UK, but they aren't in France, which is what matters here, I'm afraid.
Just found this Harry, from a seller in the UK:-

Q. Do I pay VAT on the eBooks?

For the purpose of tax, an eBook is classified as a "Digitised Product" so VAT is payable. In order to avoid VAT we have to have proof that the eBook is being exported to a country where VAT is not payable. Therefore VAT will be added unless your credit card is registered in a country where VAT does not apply. In the shopping cart, please select the "Delivery Location" that agrees with your registered card address. For "Delivery Method" select "eBooks only" unless you are also ordering physical items. (If you disagree with the VAT regulations, please complain to Customs & Excise, not to us)

And a discussion thread here:-
http://www.startups.co.uk/6678842907...on-ebooks.html

Cheers,
James

Last edited by JimBob1971; 02-25-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: aded URL
Old 02-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, I didn't know that. As I say, though, when you're a buyer, it's the VAT rules in the seller's country that operate, so buying from France, as you were, you get charged the French rate of VAT, French rules on what's chargeable for VAT and what's not, and so on.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Thanks, I didn't know that. As I say, though, when you're a buyer, it's the VAT rules in the seller's country that operate, so buying from France, as you were, you get charged the French rate of VAT, French rules on what's chargeable for VAT and what's not, and so on.
That depends on how much they sell. Amazon in UK add 6% VAT for books and 6% is what the VAT is in Sweden so it is the Swedish VAT i am paying. As I remember it they have to use the VAT rate for the country they are selling to if they are selling for a total sum in a year greater than some amount.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 PM   #15
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
It only works with MobiPocket books. I know it's expensive, but how often do you buy a dictionary?
Ah, every 3-5 years if you only count the English one(s). I bought the Shorter Oxford on CD in 1998 and would like to upgrade but OUP are still being silly about their offerings. Since then I've bought the OED(NZ) and OED(Australia) as well as Physics and Computers. Ok, make that a dictionary every 2-3 years

I would really, really like the "all OED" package but they claim it's not possible. And the basic OED is priced at a silly level (250 pounds=$AUS550 but they want $AUS750 from their local distributor), so I'm really reluctant to buy it. Unfortunately the lesser dictionaries all suck in various ways, usually through limited vocabulary or etymology.

So, anyway, I'd love suggestions for good PC-only or mobile dictionaries for under $US500 (200k words plus, with etymology and ideally thesaurus).
moz is offline   Reply With Quote