Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
But let me ask another question about the original post. If I follow a link to a freebie/discount and "purchase" the freebie, they get a "commission" but if I stay on Amazon and find something else to purchase, they get additional commission (for want of a more exact term) even though they did not like to this new item?
Yes. Anything you'd purchase during the visit that began from the initial link, the affiliate gets the commission, which is 4 percent.

It's not like the purchaser pays anything extra; it's just that the referrer earns a little bit from Amazon.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
No - each book has a separate link. Try just clicking through one of their links and look at the URL at Amazon. It has their affiliate code in the URL. If you don't see the affiliate code in the URL they don't get anything for it.
Yes, the initial link needs to have the affiliate code, but once I click on the link, if I stay on the Amazon site and buy something else, that other purchase is credited to the affiliate.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #18
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Yes, the initial link needs to have the affiliate code, but once I click on the link, if I stay on the Amazon site and buy something else, that other purchase is credited to the affiliate.
Oh thanks. I still don't see how they know who to credit it to if there is no tag.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #19
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
This is a silly overreaction. Would the "complainers" please discuss their reasons for this?
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Yes. Anything you'd purchase during the visit that began from the initial link, the affiliate gets the commission, which is 4 percent.

It's not like the purchaser pays anything extra; it's just that the referrer earns a little bit from Amazon.
I was not aware of these users having an affiliate relationship with Amazon I only use their posts to acquire Amazon freebies, so how much is 4% for $0.00
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #21
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
[QUOTE=emellaich;1756522]
Where I find value is when someone helps me find good books that are bargains/free. Rather than hearing about every possible free book (link spam IMO) I would rather hear about ones that were highly rated, or about ones that the poster recommended from their own interest. Or, even a post from an author as long as the book was a bargain (otherwise go to the self-promotion thread). Ideally an affiliate would start with the list of all bargain books and reduce them to those that they recommend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like hearing about every possible free book. I like have the choice of viewing all the free books available and pick it or not. I don't want someone else telling me that they liked a book and only list that book. Their taste in reading is not mine.

If I find a deal, or get an code in an email, I will post it here for benefit of anyone who would like it. No benefit to me, just happy to pass on a deal.
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #22
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, I don't know if this is going good for anybody, but I think it's going to be bad for people like me, who follow the freebies. Anyway, I don't understand the problem. Is bad to get some money through a link that doesn't cost anything to me, if that person has given me an information I find useful?
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I like it the way it was. Please change it back. I don't mind the affiliates links. These people do the work for me giving their time and effort that I had to do myself. Instead of having to go find the free and bargain books on my own I can just come here and find out what is newly discounted or free. If they get a tiny reward from it, to me it's much deserved for the work they put into it.

To make everyone happy. Here's my suggestion.
Maybe the poster can put two links instead of one. One that says My Affiliate Link and one that says Regular Link and let the person decide which to click on. Then I'd put a sticky about what an affiliate links are so everyone is aware and no more complaints.

The new way will inconvenience people and my dishearten those who posts freebies and good deals to go somewhere else and that would be bad.

I do agree with others that Author self promotions should stays in the other forum and not be posted here.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
These are not the affiliate links you're looking for.
*waves his hand in a Jedi-like manner*

Seriously, I can't think of a reason why any complaints about affiliate links would even be considered valid (as long as the links aren't being obfuscated with url-shortening services).

Having to keep track of multiple freebie/bargain threads is going to stink. "Too many squeaky wheels spoil the soup"... or something like that.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-25-2011 at 07:23 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #25
pete_1967
Connoisseur
pete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Oh thanks. I still don't see how they know who to credit it to if there is no tag.
Cookie.
pete_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #26
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I think the Moderation team needs to rethink this. There's some major overreaction here.

A simple disclaimer as the first line of the posting should give those who are bothered by the affiliate program more than enough information to bypass those postings.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #27
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I like that there are a few people who goes out of there way to list all freebies and bargains for us/me. If money is their incentive who cares, at least its being done. Its not costing me anything. if you want a list of only good books go to reading recommendations and make your own lists. I think thats a bit much to expect people to not only find deals but read them to make sure theyre good enough for your time.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #28
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
No link from this forum has every made a penny off of me. My rule since I've been here has been
if the book cost $0.00 I click on it as is, if it's anything more I've always removed the referral part of the link.

Course the referral folks could be required to put a comment in their sig?
copyrite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #29
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I think the Moderation team needs to rethink this. There's some major overreaction here.

A simple disclaimer as the first line of the posting should give those who are bothered by the affiliate program more than enough information to bypass those postings.
I agree. It's going to devalue the deals forum considerably.
I'd think a disclosure/disclaimer and non-obfuscation should be enough to satisfy those who object to someone getting credit for a referral, but if it came down to it, compared to this new policy, I'd prefer referral links just be banned entirely.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I agree - this is going to be a big mess. I don't see anything wrong with leaving things as they are with a disclaimer statement at the beginning. I actually thought everyone was already aware this is going on.

I have more of a problem with people pretending they are putting up deals and actually working for the company listing them - like the two (if they are actually separate people) who work at Copia.

I also definitely don't want to see the authors self-promoting on this forum for any reason.

Authors will not self-promote on this forum - for ANY reason. They will self-promote in only one forum and that forum is the Self-Promotion Forum, and they will follow the rules for self-promotions.

Don

(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote