Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
bochman
Edge User

EE camera and video chat

Has anyone been able to use the camera built in to the Entourage Edge for video chatting? I know there have been complaints about how grainy the image is, etc., but I'm not looking for a full HD experience here. I just want to figure out some way to video chat either using an app or a compatible web service.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 03-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
sjarrel
Edge User

Sorry, so far no luck. We are all waiting for an update. Maybe some luck then.

Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

Apparently yes: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ferencing-apps. Users report using Fring and recommending rotating the LCD side to landscape before launching Fring.

EDIT: apparently this used to be the case last summer, but Fring currently no longer works for video chats on the eDGe.

Last edited by borisb; 03-07-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
bochman
Edge User

I was under the impression that the Fring video chats were going on through Skype and that either Skype doesn't support Fring anymore or vice versa.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

Ah! That could be. That explains why I'm under the impression Fring works while others, like sjarrel, says it doesn't. That being the case, I've updated my prior post.

Advert
Old 03-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Filark
Edge User

I saw a Skype app, I think on Handango.com, for free. Thought I might try it -- but you say it won't work? (No big deal for me either way, but it would be nice.)

I just checked: The Skype website shows an Android dowload that requires 2.1 or higher. It also lists a Linux version that requires a 1 GHz processor (I'm not real clear on what the underlying Linux does for the Edge). So neither of those will work. I went back to Handango, and the Skype they list supposedly works on Android 1.6 or later. Dunno if it's true . . . . I probably won't test it myself.

Last edited by Filark; 03-07-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Added info

Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 AM   #7
sjarrel
Edge User

Well, actually Fring works...... a little bit. Very poor quality. You better step out the door and shout out loud to whoever you want to contact. On a clear day you might even see them.
The apps that should work with a camera don't work on the eDGe (because of Android 1.6?)
The 'barcode for apps' scanning doesn't work.
So far I didn't find any use for the camera given it's position.
BUT, always look on the bright side.... maybe Froyo makes things better. Soon in this theater.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
bochman
Edge User

I wonder how soon "soon" is ;-)