Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
Error in Book Designer wiki page

On the Book Designer wiki page I read "BD does not require .NET 2.0 or any other additional library apart from what is already included with its distribution." However, when I try to convert pretty much anything BD always complains that I don't have M$Word installed and fails to do load the file.
msundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by msundman View Post
On the Book Designer wiki page I read "BD does not require .NET 2.0 or any other additional library apart from what is already included with its distribution." However, when I try to convert pretty much anything BD always complains that I don't have M$Word installed and fails to do load the file.
BD does use Word to convert from some formats into HTML. So if you have another program that can convert your files into HTML then you should be able to load. But I cannot be 100% sure on that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2007, 04:18 AM   #3
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I have open office, which has proven to be as good as word, if not better in the convertion department. I get the same error, and really don't want to dig out my last copy of word from my binders of cd's. Any Ideas?
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
It seems that BD doesn't require M$Word if you only convert between formats it has internal converters for. You can use OpenOffice to convert your original document to one of these formats.
(I don't remember which formats it has internal converters for and which formats it requires M$Word for, and I can't boot into M$Windows at the moment.)
msundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
The sick part is that if you are using any of the xml/html type formats it requires MS word. This includes it native format and fb2 At the very least this dependency should be listed, and if it is at all possible they should use another xml tool asap. This sort of dependency is just crazy. Not just showing a lack of fore site, but I now am leery of the designers eating their loved ones or biting off their own left ear... CRAZY

Of course the amount of useful software I have programed is still (let me look) oh yeah, none, so what do I know.
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
MS Word usage has been added to the Wiki.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote