Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #961
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@citac,

That's odd, whenever I've exploded a calibre-converted epub there has always been a separate css file and the html tags are of the form <p class="calibrenn"> with the style for .calibrenn {...} defined in the css file, rather than inline styling such as <p style="...">. Is it possible that someone may have manually edited the epub after the calibre conversion?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #962
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
@jackie_w, I currently only have my tablet accessible to me and I'm not sure whether I can explode an epub on Android, but if I remember correctly, I think each paragraph was wrapped in a <p class> tag, with .calibre1, .calibre2, 3 etc used in the css file. My understanding is that there is no need to do that - yo simply use the basic <p>paragraph text</p> tag, style the <p> in the css file, and there's no need to have several styles for those paragraph. Only if you want the styling of a particular paragraph to be different than the rest would you use the <p class>. That's what was confusing to me.

To make myself clearer, here's an example of how I would handle paragraph styles:

<p>Some paragraph text that goes on for several lines.</p>

css used to style it:
p {text-indent:50px;}
A single paragraph I want to set apart, say a character has written a letter:
p.letter {font-family: cursive;}
and I want to flush the date in the letter to the right:
p.letter date {text-align:right;}
I think I got the cascading right; anyone more knowledgeable feel free to correct me.

ETA OK, never mind - of course it can't do the above, because it has to automate the whole conversion process for a slew of different users, obviously, and there has to be a way to mark up the entire file! :facepalm:

Last edited by citac; 08-25-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Further clarification
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #963
RichieTheK
Enthusiast
RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichieTheK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 (2012), Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4
Request for Feature - Validate Pointers to Books

Recently, the Calibre e-book manager project has been beta-testing MTP-drivers which will allow users to directly add and delete books on their devices from within Calibre. Already, people have complained that deleting books on their device does not delete from the Mantano book-list. I realize that this is because Mantano requires the user to import individual books rather than relying on a scan of one or more directories, so Mantano has no way of detecting that a book has been deleted from outside of Mantano.

I would like to suggest that Mantano add a menu option to validate the pointers to the books in it's book-list. Mantano would simply run through all of the books in it's list, checking that each book actually exists. If a book does not exist, it should be flagged in some way, perhaps by a tag or adding it to a "Missing Books" collection. From there, the user can decide what to do with the entry in the book-list.
RichieTheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 AM   #964
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieTheK View Post
Recently, the Calibre e-book manager project has been beta-testing MTP-drivers which will allow users to directly add and delete books on their devices from within Calibre. Already, people have complained that deleting books on their device does not delete from the Mantano book-list. I realize that this is because Mantano requires the user to import individual books rather than relying on a scan of one or more directories, so Mantano has no way of detecting that a book has been deleted from outside of Mantano.

I would like to suggest that Mantano add a menu option to validate the pointers to the books in it's book-list. Mantano would simply run through all of the books in it's list, checking that each book actually exists. If a book does not exist, it should be flagged in some way, perhaps by a tag or adding it to a "Missing Books" collection. From there, the user can decide what to do with the entry in the book-list.
Good idea, this would make it dovetail nicely with calibre.
Perhaps change the import option into a scan for new/changed/missing books.
cliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 AM   #965
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I believe this is already in place regarding added/removed books. If you do an import you will be notified about missing books, as well as new books. And you will be given the opportunity to remove annotations as the entry in Mantano is removed.

But on each connection Calibre may update metadata for books automatically, if the metadata in the Calibre library on the computer has changed. It would be nice to be able to ask Mantano to read metadata from existing files again. Things like series may have been changed during the connection. Perhaps the file update time could be used to detect books that may have been updated? Or is this also already in place?

Last edited by Adoby; 09-17-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #966
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
My Samsung Galaxy 5 player running the paid version of Mantano has a problem I've not experienced.
When I start Mantano and try to open a book...one I'm currently reading or to start another...I get a white screen and none of the Mantano controls work. I've tried restarting the app but that does not work. What works is to completely shut down the player and restart. Once it restarts Mantano works fine.
So far I've tried removing all my books...I use Calibre as my library...and moving Mantano from the sd card to the internal storage. Neither has worked.
Anyone else experiencing this problem and have a fix?
I can't find anything on the Mantano site but that is not surprising.
I may have to delete the app and reinstall.
I'm also going to try to side load a book to see if that works.
Thanks,
Kai
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #967
bullet
Rookie Mucker
bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 7. Moto G, Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Linux PCs
+1 Kai
I have been having the same problem with a blank screen (multiple book pages shown in right margin) with the premium version of Mantano (2.2.5) on my Nexus 7 and came here to look for solutions. I have done the same as you have with mixed success. When I shut Mantano down and restart my books sometimes reappear, sometimes not. I am transferring books to the device within Calibre 8.69 on Linux Mint 13 64bit KDE. On my Nexus 7 I use Calibre Companion to make the wireless connection to my laptop running Calibre. Once synced with Calibre I can transfer books from Calibre to my Nexus 7 device.

I do not understand what is going on...
bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:08 AM   #968
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"I feel your pain"...
I too am using 2.2.5 and the latest version of Calibre.
I have removed all my books and cleared all content in Manatano settings.
So far so good but it is too soon to say...

Sure enough...same "white screen of death"...
Going to try an uninstall then install...a real pain in the arse...Mantano has been a delight to use until the past couple of weeks. I wonder what changed? I've done nothing to my device and all other apps, etc. work fine.

Well I've done an un/install of Mantano and put several books on it via Calibre...hoping for the best and will report how it's acting.

Last edited by Kai Winters; 09-19-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #969
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have three suggestions for features that I would love to see in Mantano.

1. Automatic Collections
One way to provide this could be to associate tags with collections. For each collection you create in Mantano you should be able to add a list of tags. When books are imported that have one of those tags, then the book is automatically added to that collection in Mantano. It should be possible to add the same book to several collections.

Edit: A refinement could be to not only add single tags, but also one or several groups of tags. That way you could automatically add a book to a collection if it has some group of tags. Could even use logical operators like AND, OR, NOT and (). Should probably be case insensitive.

// Books about Cheese
Cheese: (Cheese OR Cheeses OR Fromage OR Käse OR Ost OR Formaggio) AND (NOT Fiction OR Nonfiction)

// Attempt to filter out "pure sf", whatever that is...
Science Fiction: Fiction AND (SciFi OR SF OR Science Fiction OR Space Opera) AND NOT (Fantasy OR Crime OR Mystery OR Alternative OR Romance OR Paranormal OR Vampire OR Vampires)

// Biographies, but not fictional ones
Biographies: (Autobiography OR Biography) AND NOT (Fiction OR Fictitious)

// Crime novels.
Crime: (Crime OR Detective OR Police OR Sleuth OR PI OR Investigator OR Inspector) AND NOT Nonfiction

// Gardening books. Manually tagged for Mantano or just normally tagged
Gardening: (MantanoCollection: Gardening OR Garden OR Gardening) AND NOT Fiction

2. Refresh of metadata
I would like to be able to request that Mantano reread metadata for books. It is possible that during a connection with Calibre metadata has been updated. Especially since Calibre now allows MTP and Calibre Companion may be used. For instance new tags may have been added or series data been changed. It would be great if Mantano could detect changed books and update metadata from them, while still keeping annotations and other information if the filename for the book has not changed. Changes of tags might also automatically change collections, as described above.

3. Allow sort both on Author and Author sort
Currently you can show the books sorted by author. FN LN. It would be great to be able to also sort on author sort. LN, FN. It is possible to write LN, FN to the author field, but I would like to be able to use both FN LN and LN, FN.

Last edited by Adoby; 09-22-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #970
Kai Winters
Lover of Books

It's been 24 hours or so and so far Mantano is back to working as it had.
No white screen of freeze.
I'd just as soon have an app or program work...just plain work...before more features are added.
I moved from Aldiko to Mantano for just that reason. I started having some serious problems with double book entries in Aldiko...it was working fine then not so much...for some reason all my books became double books. Sent email to Aldiko but never a responce. Others had this problem as well and it was a new development. The result was uninstalling Aldiko for Mantano.

I just want the darn program to work without bugs. Not too much to ask.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #971
Kai Winters
Lover of Books

White screen of death again.
I'm giving Aldiko another try. Using the free version for now. Maybe the paid version if I like it.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #972
Adoby
Handy Elephant

I too have some problems with the white blank screen. It seems to happen sometimes when Montana has been suspended while you have a book open and you later open it again. The restore process doesn't seem to work. I suspect it has something to do with saving and restoring the state of the program? If you switch back and forth quickly it seems to work fine. It is when you have had Mantano suspended for a while it seems to hang.

When that happens I back out and swipe Mantano away from the list of running programs. If I start then it opens ok.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #973
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Kai

I have either the same problem or one closely related. Actually I have two problems. One, when I turn my
tablet completely off, when I restart the tablet, I will receive a message that Mantano is not installed. I will reinstall and everything will be as I left it. This takes relatively little time even with a library of around 1,500 books. Although it is an annoyance, of course.

The second problem is maybe what you are calling the white screen of death. I will open a book and nothing shows, however the progress indicator will always show that I am exactly half way through the book, regardless of where I actually was in the book. I can however hit the back button and get back to Mantano (my library). However when I get back, if I attempt to open another book or the same book, I will get the same blank screen (no text) but with the bottom menu options visable and again the progress indicator showing I am at the 50% position.

I've have found through the fumble around method that the best way to get Mantano responding correctly again is to simply open the app using via the app market. As in I go to the app market and the options are to open or uninstall and chose the open button. At that point everything works properly again.

I don't know what triggers the behavior. It does not happen all the time, but it will happen once a week or so, and both problems appear to happen with either of my tablets: HTC Flyer and Sony S1.

Anybody else experiencing the "Mantano not installed" problem?

Last edited by fbrII; 09-21-2012 at 09:01 AM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #974
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Just back out from Mantano and clear Mantano from the list of running programs. I use Jelly Bean and just swipe it away from the list of apps. Then it works fine again when you start it. I assume that it then no longer tries to use any saved state information.

I have no problem with "not installed".
Old 09-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #975
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
I too have some problems with the white blank screen. It seems to happen sometimes when Montana has been suspended while you have a book open and you later open it again. The restore process doesn't seem to work. I suspect it has something to do with saving and restoring the state of the program? If you switch back and forth quickly it seems to work fine. It is when you have had Mantano suspended for a while it seems to hang.

When that happens I back out and swipe Mantano away from the list of running programs. If I start then it opens ok.
I have not tried the fix you mention, but I have noticed the same thing - the white blank screen tends to happen when I put my Nexus 7 into sleep for a period of time. If I back out of Mantano (I use the Essentials version) to the home screen before I set it to sleep, then it seems to reopen fine.
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote