Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Se7enisLucky
Se7enisLucky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi.
Exclamation Having a PDF to Mobi/PRC issues...

Well, the title basiclly says it all!
I have a Kindle 3 Wifi, the 6-inch screen, and natively, the PDF looks terrible, as it's super small font and etc. And zooming is a total pain :P

I've tried using Calibre to convert the PDF --> MOBI/PRC = FAIL!
Reason: My PDF is a technical jargon pdf, with many diagrams and "pictures."

I also tried using PDFReader, the one made by the guy on this forum (Nick - whatever his nickname is) I used 1.8.2, and, no, it was small font again, and didn't work out too well.

Is there no hope?
Or should I just buy the book, as in non-e-book, like, the actual paper/binding book
I, officially love the Kindle, so I don't really plan on that...

And that's the story. Thanks everyone!

Or - can I email it to someone here who is "more-experienced" than me, or am I just asking for a solution to a problem that currently has no solution?
Thanks again

Last edited by Se7enisLucky; 11-14-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Se7enisLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enisLucky View Post
Well, the title basiclly says it all!
I have a Kindle 3 Wifi, the 6-inch screen, and natively, the PDF looks terrible, as it's super small font and etc. And zooming is a total pain :P

I've tried using Calibre to convert the PDF --> MOBI/PRC = FAIL!
Reason: My PDF is a technical jargon pdf, with many diagrams and "pictures."

I also tried using PDFReader, the one made by the guy on this forum (Nick - whatever his nickname is) I used 1.8.2, and, no, it was small font again, and didn't work out too well.

Is there no hope?
Or should I just buy the book, as in non-e-book, like, the actual paper/binding book
I, officially love the Kindle, so I don't really plan on that...

And that's the story. Thanks everyone!

Or - can I email it to someone here who is "more-experienced" than me, or am I just asking for a solution to a problem that currently has no solution?
Thanks again
I find that cropping the margins, headers, footers helps much of the time. If you don't have Acrobat, or a Mac, there are a number of free tools for doing this, for example search mobileread for 'briss'.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Se7enisLucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I find that cropping the margins, headers, footers helps much of the time. If you don't have Acrobat, or a Mac, there are a number of free tools for doing this, for example search mobileread for 'briss'.
I tried it out, I can't really do it as the PDF has formatting all over, so I think that's a no-go
But thanks anyway!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 AM   #4
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
In my experience, pdf should be first converted to HTML file using mobipocket creator. This HtML can be built into a PRC file by the same software. The results are pretty decent going thru this route.

If you have a multi column pdf, then I remember I saw a software here at the forums that could convert those pdfs to single column ones. Then, you know the drill, convert to HTML, build it to PRC (which is nothing but a mobi file with a different extension and is perfectly compatible with K3).

Last edited by hellraiser06; 11-15-2010 at 09:03 AM.
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Se7enisLucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser06 View Post
In my experience, pdf should be first converted to HTML file using mobipocket creator. This HtML can be built into a PRC file by the same software. The results are pretty decent going thru this route.

If you have a multi column pdf, then I remember I saw a software here at the forums that could convert those pdfs to single column ones. Then, you know the drill, convert to HTML, build it to PRC (which is nothing but a mobi file with a different extension and is perfectly compatible with K3).
I've had many problems with the MobiPocket Creator, just tried again, with HTML ----> PRC, again, didn't work. And what program is that o.O!
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
walleeva
walleeva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enisLucky View Post
I tried it out, I can't really do it as the PDF has formatting all over, so I think that's a no-go
But thanks anyway!

Actually I think there's no good tool at the moment to convert technical PDF with many columns, diagrams and maths in to PRC. I also have the same problem. But for cutting the margins, I find this tool really helpful PDF Scissors. After cutting the margins, I can read the PDF quite well on K3 when zooming 150%, and panning it with Shift+5-way. Hopes this help a bit
walleeva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre conversion, kindle 3, mobi, pdf, pdfreader