Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #1906
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Last Day -- Audible -- exp 28 Jul
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #1907
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Both novels, for anyone else who cares.

Juba made it plain, For the Hitler book, it took reading and re-reading the description. In some instances, a person can get a pretty good idea of the genre of a book by the cover--contrary to the adage that you can't judge a book by its cover. I couldn't do it by the Hitler cover, though. There ought to be an easier way to tell . . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yeah .... I care, and I had a similar struggle. I finally found the word "fiction" somewhere, in the Hitler one, which was the only one I cared about.

Somehow, since WWII and Hitler were *real*, I'm only interested in reading true life stories. Thanks for annotating it here.
Sorry y'all. I meant to add the genre (historical) and forgot. I corrected the post to include it.

Please don't stop sending me bananas

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-28-2016 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #1908
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sorry y'all. I meant to add the genre (historical) and forgot. I corrected the post to include it.

Please don't stop sending be bananas
I didn't intend that as a criticism of you. Any additional information that you give like that, I just consider it gravy (Southern expression).

Oh, and I guess that I shouldn't have said "genre," but used some other word--what I meant, of course, was fiction or non-fiction.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 07-28-2016 at 07:48 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #1909
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Northern expression too.

Bananas aren't good gravy, but here ... have a whole bunch!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:10 PM   #1910
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I didn't intend that as a criticism of you. Any additional information that you give like that, I just consider it gravy (Southern expression).

Oh, and I guess that I shouldn't have said "genre," but used some other word--what I meant, of course, was fiction or non-fiction.
I didn't take it that way. I usually post the genre and then realized this morning that I've neglected to do so for the SYNC titles so far. So I was gonna add it and then forgot.

I'm mindful of the difference and use history for nonfiction and historical for fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Northern expression too.

Bananas aren't good gravy, but here ... have a whole bunch!
Northern monkey says thanks for the nanas. Will make bread and daiquiris
Old 07-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #1911
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I didn't take it that way. I usually post the genre and then realized this morning that I've neglected to do so for the SYNC titles so far. So I was gonna add it and then forgot.

I'm mindful of the difference and use history for nonfiction and historical for fiction.

Northern monkey says thanks for the nanas. Will make bread and daiquiris
You do mean virgin daiquiris, I'm sure.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:19 PM   #1912
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible Daily Deal -- exp 29 Jul

$2.95 -- Things They Carried -- Tim O'Brien/ Bryan Cranston --> 7.8 hrs/ R-4.2 --> historical

Quote:
The Things They Carried

Whispersync: Audible ($2.95) | Kindle ($9.99)

This modern classic and New York Times best seller was a finalist for both the 1990 Pulitzer Prize and National Book Critics Circle Award and has become a staple of American classrooms. Hailed by The New York Times as "a marvel of storytelling", The Things They Carried’s portrayal of the boots-on-the-ground experience of soldiers in the Vietnam War is a landmark in war writing. Now, three-time Emmy Award winner Bryan Cranston, star of the hit TV series Breaking Bad, delivers an electrifying performance that walks the book’s hallucinatory line between reality and fiction and highlights the emotional power of the spoken word.

The soldiers in this collection of stories carried M-16 rifles, M-60 machine guns, and M-79 grenade launchers. They carried plastic explosives, hand grenades, flak jackets, and landmines. But they also carried letters from home, illustrated Bibles, and pictures of their loved ones. Some of them carried extra food or comic books or drugs. Every man carried what he needed to survive, and those who did carried their shattering stories away from the jungle and back to a nation that would never understand.

This audiobook also includes an exclusive recording “The Vietnam in Me,” a recount of the author’s trip back to Vietnam in 1994, revisiting his experience there as a soldier 25 years before, read by Tim O’Brien himself.

The Things They Carried was produced by Audible Studios in partnership with Playtone, the celebrated film and television production company founded by Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman, and producer of the award-winning series Band of Brothers, John Adams, and The Pacific, as well as the HBO movie Game Change.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #1913
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Nook Daily Find -- exp 29 Jul

$4.99 -- Missing You -- Harlan Coben/ January LaVoy --> 11.8 hrs/ R-4.1 --> thriller

Quote:
Whispersync: Audible ($4.49) | Kindle ($9.99)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Harlan Coben, a heart-pounding thriller about the ties we have to our past…and the lies that bind us together

It's a profile, like all the others on the online dating site. But as NYPD detective Kat Donovan focuses on the accompanying picture, she feels her whole world explode as emotions she's ignored for decades come crashing down on her. Staring back at her is her ex-fiancé, Jeff, the man who shattered her heart—and whom she hasn't seen in eighteen years.

Kat feels a spark, wondering if this might be the moment when past tragedies recede and a new world opens up to her. But when she reaches out to the man in the profile, her reawakened hope quickly darkens into suspicion and then terror as an unspeakable conspiracy comes to light in which monsters prey upon the most vulnerable.

As the body count mounts and Kat's hope for a second chance with Jeff grows more and more elusive, she is consumed by an investigation that challenges her feelings about everyone she's ever loved—her former fiancé, her mother, and even her father, whose cruel murder so long ago has never been fully explained. With lives on the line, including her own, Kat must venture deeper into the darkness than she ever has before and discover if she has the strength to survive what she finds there.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 07-29-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #1914
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Downpour -- Rental of the Week -- exp 01 Aug

$1.99 -- The Lonely City -- Olivia Laing/ Susan Lyons --> 9.9 hrs/ R-4.4 --> memoir

Quote:
The Lonely City: Adventures in the Art of Being Alone

Whispersync: Audible ($4.49) | Kindle ($12.99)

An expertly crafted work of reportage, memoir, and biography on the subject of loneliness told through the lives of six iconic artists, by the acclaimed author of The Trip to Echo Spring.

You can be lonely anywhere, but there is a particular flavor to the loneliness that comes from living in a city, surrounded by thousands of strangers. The Lonely City is a roving cultural history of urban loneliness, centered on the ultimate city: Manhattan, that teeming island of gneiss, concrete, and glass.

What does it mean to be lonely? How do we live if we’re not intimately involved with another human being? How do we connect with other people, particularly if our sexuality or physical body is considered deviant or damaged? Does technology draw us closer together or trap us behind screens?

Olivia Laing explores these questions by traveling deep into the work and lives of some of the century’s most original artists, among them Andy Warhol, David Wojnarowicz, Edward Hopper, Henry Darger, and Klaus Nomi.

Part memoir, part biography, part dazzling work of cultural criticism, The Lonely City is not just a map, but a celebration of the state of loneliness. It’s a voyage out to a strange and sometimes lovely island, adrift from the larger continent of human experience, but visited by many—millions, say—of souls.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #1915
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Downpour -- Deal of the Week -- exp 01 Aug

$5.95 -- Life of Pi -- Yann Martel/ Jeff Woodman, et al --> 11.7 hrs/ R-4.2 --> contemporary

Quote:
Whispersync: Audible ($3.95) | Kindle ($10.99)

The son of a zookeeper, Pi Patel has an encyclopedic knowledge of animal behavior and a fervent love of stories. When Pi is sixteen, his family emigrates from India to North America aboard a Japanese cargo ship, along with their zoo animals bound for new homes.

The ship sinks. Pi finds himself alone in a lifeboat, his only companions a hyena, an orangutan, a wounded zebra, and Richard Parker, a 450-pound Bengal tiger. Soon the tiger has dispatched all but Pi, whose fear, knowledge, and cunning allow him to coexist with Richard Parker for 227 days while lost at sea. When they finally reach the coast of Mexico, Richard Parker flees to the jungle, never to be seen again. The Japanese authorities who interrogate Pi refuse to believe his story and press him to tell them “the truth.” After hours of coercion, Pi tells a second story, a story much less fantastical, much more conventional—but is it more true?
Old 07-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #1916
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Last Day -- Audible -- exp 29 Jul
Old 07-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #1917
nancy-mo
Enthusiast
nancy-mo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nancy-mo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nancy-mo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nancy-mo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nancy-mo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nancy-mo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nancy-mo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nancy-mo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nancy-mo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nancy-mo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nancy-mo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Whispersync Anna Karenina, read by Maggie Gyllenhaal

I thought about using a credit on this new recording, but found a great Whispersync deal, $0.99 for the book ( the 2012 HarperCollins Publishers edition) and $1.99 for the audiobook. I don't know how to add links, but this info should get you there.
nancy-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #1918
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy-mo View Post
Whispersync Anna Karenina, read by Maggie Gyllenhaal

I thought about using a credit on this new recording, but found a great Whispersync deal, $0.99 for the book ( the 2012 HarperCollins Publishers edition) and $1.99 for the audiobook. I don't know how to add links, but this info should get you there.
Kindle book

Audible link

Thanks for mentioning it!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #1919
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I don't see this one in the thread:
Expires Tomorrow:

Downpour Deal
-- 100 Science Fiction Books for $5.95

(sorry, that's a really long URL and I'm not sure where to trim it. Moderators feel free!)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #1920
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible Daily Deal -- exp 30 Jul

$3.95 -- Tesser -- Chris Philbrook/ James Foster --> 12.0 hrs/ R-4.2 --> fantasy

Quote:
Tesser: A Dragon Among Us --> Reemergence Series (book 1 of 2)

Whispersync: Audible ($1.99) | Kindle ($4.99)

Imagine for a moment that you are a Dragon. A creature of unimaginable power, unending intelligence and strength, and you've just woken from 10,000 years of slumber. Worse yet, you've awoken underneath a city: Boston, an alien and strange place that defies everything you've ever known. Your last memories are of primordial forests, erupting volcanoes sculpting a developing world, faeries, witches, vampires, krakens, and monsters that feared where you turned your eyes.

But all that is gone. Humans, only barely coming into their own in the world from your memory, have taken over. They have erected cities made of stone and steel erupting from the earth like stalagmites reaching for the high blue sky, and developed sciences that have overshadowed even the glory of old magic. This is not the way it was supposed to be.

Meet Tesser, the Dragon. He who walks in any form and flies the skies free of fear. A Dragon Among Us is Tesser's story. Walk with him as he learns the human way,and discovers the dark truth about why magic has really faded from the world he calls home. And, just maybe, humanity will remember why Dragons were most noble and most savage creatures again. Welcome to The Reemergence.