Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-13-2008, 04:49 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I do admire him.

If it had happened to me, it would break me.

It didn't break him. Moreover, it shows villains that they cannot sleep well after they commit an atrocity. It teaches people a lesson. If you lie, misbehave etc., sooner or later it is going to backfire on you. It is just a matter of time.
What makes it even more remarkable is that it's based on a true story.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #32
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What makes it even more remarkable is that it's based on a true story.
From what I understand, Dumas actually based a number of his novels off of real people or events. That being said, they tended to bear as much relation to the true story as the average Hollywood adaptation of novels or true stories .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #33
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Well, at barely .35 completion, I am enjoying the CMC so much more than I did some 45 (approx.) years ago. It's actually more enjoyable now. My viewpoint has changed somewhat, I guess there is something to say for maturity.

Count me in for the larger reads.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #34
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I am making my way through this slowly. I can certainly see why the abridged versions are popular!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #35
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
1/3 here
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I am making my way through this slowly. I can certainly see why the abridged versions are popular!
Abridged books are a monstrosity!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #37
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I agree. In the worst case scenario, I might decide to skip something. But it is going to be my decision. I decide what is important and what is not. Not some average Joe editor who is doing it according to his own taste. Tastes differ.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #38
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
I actually do agree with you - I prefer to do my own mental abridging as I read, that way I know what I'm missing!

And, of course, as I don't plan on reading an abridged version, I have no way of knowing if the bits I think should be pruned are the bits that are pruned.

But I can see why some people would prefer to have that work pre-done for them.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #39
Katiesue
Enthusiast
Katiesue is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook
OK, I need some help. I am really confused. In Chapter 44 Bertuccio tells Monte Cristo the story of his vendetta against Villefort and he kills Villefort in the garden of the house at Auteuil.

Then in Chapter 47 Ali stops the speeding carriage saving the life of Madame de Villefort and her son leading M. de Villefort to visit Monte Cristo in Chapter 48.

What have I misunderstood?

BTW, the version I am reading is Harry's downloaded from Mobile Read.

I am loving this book!!!!
Katiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

He didn't really kill him. Read on - it will be explained!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #41
Katiesue
Enthusiast
Katiesue is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook
Thanks Harry. I don't feel like quite as much of a 'lunkhead' now!!!
Katiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No problem. I remember being confused by it too when I first read the book .
Old 12-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #43
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm kind of bummed I missed this...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #44
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdB View Post
It's the saddest thing in the world - he spent a lifetime fighting for one thing, only to find out that he couldn't really have it any more. It was no longer truly available to him. He had something else, sure, but it was not the same.
I don't think he spent a lifetime fighting for one thing, I believe he wanted to punish people who hurt him and destroy their life, not to get Mercedes back to himself. I believe despite anything he said, he thought that she was unfaithful to him. He thought his life is over and he will never experience this deep, wonderful, i.e almost the most powerful feeling in world - love. He wanted a revenge on them, then maybe end his own journey as well. He was so much surprised by discovering this sort of feelings in himself towards Greek lady, he could not believe he would ever be capable to experience it again in his life.
Probably what he didn't realise was that they would not be able to be together anyway, even if Mercedes didn't marry Fernand. 14 years in prison. Time changes people, let alone people who are forced to spend it in a prison...
Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 AM   #45
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my most favourite books. I love that book so much, I've read the book in paper form several times and in electronic form even more often. I generally read it at least once a year, and often won't be able to put the book away (or PDA, in my case). So, I generally finish it within the month, with ease...

Why I do love this book? It has so many emotional moments, without becoming drama. I think Dumas was a master in creating great opposites. First, Edmond is the happiest person alive, and then he's thrown in prison for 14 years. But it's not all bad, as he meets Faria, who becomes like a second father to him. Slowly, but surely, his level of happiness grows again. Only to turn to pure hatred when he finds out who did this to him.

When he's in Paris, he is the coldest person alive (as in emotionally), but those flashes of warmth we see (when he meets Maximilian) are such an opposite to this, and I always have tears in my eyes when he finally admits he's Edmond Dantes, who saved Monsieur Morrel those years earlier. Compare that scene to the one where he confronts Ferdinand.

I always feel spent after reading that book, and often I just want to start reading it again, immediately after.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote