Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
bokolobs
Enthusiast
bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: NST, DX, PW1, Voyage, Oasis (1 week), Kobo Aura One (1 week)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
If you decide on returning it FWIW I and several others have had better luck when we processed a return vs exchange. All my exchanges were pretty bad ( pink/blue screens) only when I processed a return and ordered a new PW did I get one acceptable. I don't think their are perfect ones some just worse then others the rainbow coloration's were driving me nuts no matter how much I tried to convince myself otherwise. From a scale of bad to good yours looks in the barely fair range. Just my .02.
Hi tmf2. Duly noted. Thanks for that.

I have attached a blank page. How about this one? Care to comment on it? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-03-09 11.27.51.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	862.8 KB
ID:	102663  
bokolobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #17
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I see both the pink and green discoloration, but like everyone has been saying, it depends on what you can live with. Personally, I would prefer an all-pink screen to one that has green blotches (I have both).

You mentioned living outside the US -- I do, too. I requested a replacement for my all-pink PW and one was sent to me in a matter of days, with green blotches this time. They told me I didn't have to send the original one back. While I am actually less happy with the replacement (the green bruising seems to provide less contrast, especially in the dark), I didn't bother requesting for another replacement seeing as they don't ask for the "defective" units back.

Like sparklemotion has suggested, try using your PW for a few days/weeks to see if the blotches are something you can live with. The green bruising on my PW does bother me, but sometimes I get so immersed in my book that I actually forget it's there. Hopefully it's the same case for you
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
When I first got my paperwhite, I was very disappointed with it because I think the fonts look fainter than my kindle keyboard. I kept examining the screen, spotting discolourations, uneven light and obsessed with changing the light settings for ages. Because I also live outside the US, I didn't really want to exchange unless there's major defects.

I showed my sister who don't use an ebook reader and she says it looks great and thinks I'm crazy. So I tried using it for awhile. I'd been using it for a few months now. Certain light settings will highlight all the things that irritate me. Luckily I found a light setting that I am comfortable with. Screen looks great with lots of light/sunlight. But I don't really notice once I start reading.

It's your choice ultimately.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #19
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I can see the discoloration.

In my case, I originally ordered 2 and through repeat replacements was shipped 9 devices total, out of which I picked the better ones. The screens on the ones I picked are far from perfect, but I love my PW anyway, and it was absolutely worth requesting replacements, as the original ones sent were horrible (one of them did not even power on and was broken out of the box).

Last edited by xendula; 03-09-2013 at 12:23 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #20
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I notice that the last picture posted was one taken in a dark room. Is the discoloration just an effect of viewing it in certain lighting conditions? I ask because my kindle has a slight bluish tint to the screen when viewed in a dark room, but in a bright room it is perfect. Do defective units still look defective in bright lighting?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
sneakyspider, my 603 looks perfectly white in daylight (I hardly see the bruising at all). It does have a greenish/bluish cast in the dark (with the light set at 10 and below), and the bruising becomes more pronounced the lower the light setting.
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #22
GadgetMan
Banned
GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GadgetMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iPads, Kobo, Nexus 7 and many others
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I exchanged mine quite a few times for various different issues (6 times maybe?) and I'm happy with my current one. I think only you can really know if the screen works for you. I would put it on the light setting you'll use the most and live with it for a week or so and see how you feel about it.

I do see color hues on yours, but then I see them on all of the posted pics to varying degrees. I don't think yours is particularly worse or better, if that is what you're asking? It really just depends on how it looks in person to you. Good luck with your decision.
Yes, I have had at least 4 if not 5.. I lost track of the KPW.. I gave my last one away to my daughter.. I bought the Kobo Glo which in my HO is much gooder..the KPW needs improvement, no doubt...but what boggles my mind is why AMAZON has not improved it yet.. WOW.. but they will I hope..
GadgetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #23
bokolobs
Enthusiast
bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.bokolobs juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubean View Post
When I first got my paperwhite, I was very disappointed with it because I think the fonts look fainter than my kindle keyboard. I kept examining the screen, spotting discolourations, uneven light and obsessed with changing the light settings for ages. Because I also live outside the US, I didn't really want to exchange unless there's major defects.

I showed my sister who don't use an ebook reader and she says it looks great and thinks I'm crazy. So I tried using it for awhile. I'd been using it for a few months now. Certain light settings will highlight all the things that irritate me. Luckily I found a light setting that I am comfortable with. Screen looks great with lots of light/sunlight. But I don't really notice once I start reading.

It's your choice ultimately.
Thanks, tofubean. That is how I will try to live with it, at least for another week. I contacted Amazon and showed a CSR the pictures. He said they are normal. He also said that I can only ask for a replacement once, since I'm living outside US. I've been reading like fiend on it since Friday. I do notice the discoloration sometimes.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #24
bokolobs
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I can see the discoloration.

In my case, I originally ordered 2 and through repeat replacements was shipped 9 devices total, out of which I picked the better ones. The screens on the ones I picked are far from perfect, but I love my PW anyway, and it was absolutely worth requesting replacements, as the original ones sent were horrible (one of them did not even power on and was broken out of the box).
Yep, I read about your horrendous ordeal on that Amazon CS post; one of the reasons I don't want to start the replacement process. Although I won't be able to go through nine. The Amazon CS I chatted with said I can only ask for a replacement only once. He gave me a $30 credit though for my disappointment. Felt weird about it and didn't say yes but he added it before I can make a decision.

A friend of mine just arrived from the US and she got herself a new Paperwhite the same week I got one. And hers has discoloration worse than mine. The funny thing is she didn't seem to notice or mind. She was kinda bummed I asked her about it and pointed out the screen defects. But it passed and she said she's really fine with it. She absolutely adores her Kindle! It truly is about your disposition and expectations.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #25
bokolobs
Enthusiast

Yes, sneakyspider, xtine, that is also the case with mine. The bruising is more pronounced in some lighting conditions. In bright daylight, I don't notice the bruising at all.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #26
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokolobs View Post
Thanks, tofubean. That is how I will try to live with it, at least for another week. I contacted Amazon and showed a CSR the pictures. He said they are normal. He also said that I can only ask for a replacement once, since I'm living outside US. I've been reading like fiend on it since Friday. I do notice the discoloration sometimes.
Curious how something that was considered a defect 6 months ago has reached the status as normal now. You will get varying opinions from different Reps which are about consistent as the screens themselves. There are pretty good past threads on this issue.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #27
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
Curious how something that was considered a defect 6 months ago has reached the status as normal now. You will get varying opinions from different Reps which are about consistent as the screens themselves.
Ha, so true.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #28
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokolobs View Post
Yes, sneakyspider, xtine, that is also the case with mine. The bruising is more pronounced in some lighting conditions. In bright daylight, I don't notice the bruising at all.
My bad units were fine in bright daylight also, but that defeated the purpose of purchasing the PW for me as I bought it for night reading. Heck my Kindle 4 was also great in daylight.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #29
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
What I don't understand is if the color hues are inherent to the device because of the way it's made, which I absolutely do believe, why are some PW's so much worse than others? Shouldn't they all be fairly similar?

My current PW is by far the best one I have had. I rarely see color hues on it and when I do it's under certain circumstances that don't usually come into play due to how I use the light. Whereas with some other PW's I had previously, I saw the color hues most of the time.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
What I don't understand is if the color hues are inherent to the device because of the way it's made, which I absolutely do believe, why are some PW's so much worse than others? Shouldn't they all be fairly similar?
With the very greatest respect, I've answered this question at least half a dozen times already. It's because the colour fringing is due to very slight non-parallelism in the two faces of the light diffuser. These are difference of the order of the wavelength of light - ie way, way below what any reasonable manufacturing tolerance can achieve.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, paperwhite, screen issues