Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #16
mcp1999
mcp1999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
To run this code I just save it as RUNME.sh and put it on the device with data.tar.gz, having deleted RUNME.done right?

I have done this and it has not fixed the problem. I still end up at the Repair Needed screen.

I notice that all my documents are still here though. Does this mean it has not performed a factory reset?

Any ideas why might this be?

In RUNME.out I just have "system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem writeable"

Many thanks again.
mcp1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Hmm... weird. I think you did everything correctly.

Try combining both methods in the file:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
mntroot rw || exit 1
test -e /mnt/us/RUNME.done && echo "Not running, RUNME.done exists" && exit 0
touch /mnt/us/RUNME.done
echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts
test -f /usr/sbin/shipping_mode || echo "shipping_mode does not exist"
test -f /usr/sbin/shipping_mode && /usr/sbin/shipping_mode
Also, just to be on the safe side: make sure to save the file with Unix line endings (not windows ones).

Last edited by ixtab; 02-16-2012 at 08:59 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #18
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

mcp1999,
Did you reboot your Kindle after you put data.tar.gz and RUNME.sh files there? ixtab's method works on Kindle boot.

Just making sure you done all needed steps...
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
mcp1999

Hi,

Yep. I tried deleting everything from the Kindle then just booting up with only RUNME.sh and data.tar.gz on there, where RUNME.sh contains:

#!/bin/sh
mntroot rw || exit 1
test -e /mnt/us/RUNME.done && echo "Not running, RUNME.done exists" && exit 0
touch /mnt/us/RUNME.done
echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts
/usr/sbin/shipping_mode

It tries to load up a number of times, each time the bar gets about half way though, then it goes to the "Repair Needed" screen.

When I plug it back in the 'RUNME.done' is there and the 'audible' and 'documents' folders are back so I assume the factory restore has been done.

RUNME.err contains nothing and RUNME.out contains:

system: I mntroot:def:Making root filesystem writeable
Not running, RUNME.done exists

So I assume it tries to run more than once.

Any more suggestions before the Kindle Touch goes in the bin?

Many thanks again for all your help.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #20
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

You really have to get some logs out of it (something like doing "showlog >/mnt/us/log.txt" in RUNME.sh) and read them. Maybe Kindle would tell you what prevents it from normal operation.

Also you now have an option (thanks to geekmaster's research) to completely re-flash your root partition if you obtain the dump somewhere.
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #21
mcp1999

I see nothing obvious in the log file. I have attached it in case anyone possibly has time to take a look?

The method to re-flash seems to require a boot into recovery though, unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to boot to recovery using the method described (http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=169645).

Attached Files
File Type: zip log.txt.zip (208.4 KB, 263 views)
Old 03-02-2012, 03:36 AM   #22
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp1999 View Post
I don't seem to be able to boot to recovery using the method described (http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=169645).
It IS definitely possible to boot to recovery mode.
Even the users with bloody bricked Kindles are able to boot to this mode.
Are you sure you properly followed instructions?

Code:
Plug Kindle into USB port.
Press Kindle power switch until LED off.
Press "Magic Key" (Touch = Home button).
Release power switch.
Release "Magic Key".
EDIT: is your battery charged enough?

Last edited by hostar; 03-02-2012 at 03:41 AM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:01 AM   #23
mcp1999

The Kindle has been charged overnight before trying this.

I plug in USB. LED goes orange. Hold power switch and ~10-15 seconds later the orange LED goes out. Then hold home button. Then release power switch and orange LED comes back on. Then release home button. Nothing.

While plugged into the USB the device mounts for ~10 seconds, then screen refreshes and device is unmounted, then is mounted again for ~10 seconds etc. Does it matter at which point I try to get in to recovery mode (I have tried and there is not enough time to complete this process while it is mounted anyway...)?

Is there code that can be added to the RUNME.sh to get it to stop rebooting (or what ever it is doing) like this?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #24
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Try it without connected USB port.
At least on K4NT it works same, except for LED, which is behave a little different.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #25
mcp1999

Have tried that as well. Same result :'(
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #26
hostar
Zealot

So that's strange. Maybe geekmaster will have some solution.
Have you tried to make "normal" restart? Just with hold POWER button on from framework menu and then try it again?

I don't think there is some way to boot into Recovery mode over script.

Also when I have been in Repair mode, I was temporarily renamed framework so Kindle has boot just to half and you don't have any problems with framework.

But do this only if you know what are you doing!

Spoiler:
Command for this to write to RUNME:
Code:
mv /etc/init.d/framework /etc/init.d/framework.bak
or maybe on touch it's in upstart so:
Code:
mv /etc/upstart/framework /etc/upstart/framework.bak
Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #27
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
The Kindle has been charged overnight before trying this.

I plug in USB. LED goes orange. Hold power switch and ~10-15 seconds later the orange LED goes out. Then hold home button. Then release power switch and orange LED comes back on. Then release home button. Nothing.
Unless your kindle has hardware problems, this procedure MUST put it into USB Downloader mode. It is built into the CPU SoC ROM, which cannot be changed.

The only visible sign that it is in this mode is that its USB VID/PID change to 0x15a2/0x0052, and windows shows it as a pair of USB HID devices in device manager, or on linux, lsusb shows a device 15a2:0052.

In this mode, the windows MfgTool should see it. If not, try plugging the kindle into a different USB port. Or in MfgTool, go to Options / Configuration... / USB Ports, and make sure that the USB port containing your kindle is enabled. This should normally "just work"...
Quote:
While plugged into the USB the device mounts for ~10 seconds, then screen refreshes and device is unmounted, then is mounted again for ~10 seconds etc. Does it matter at which point I try to get in to recovery mode (I have tried and there is not enough time to complete this process while it is mounted anyway...)?

Is there code that can be added to the RUNME.sh to get it to stop rebooting (or what ever it is doing) like this?
You can put ENABLE_DIAGS on your USB Drive so it boots to diags mode, which has a better idme command. You must delete RUNME.done if there is one. You can add this line to your RUNME.sh:

idme -d --bootmode fastboot

That will put it into fastboot mode.

In fastboot mode you can burn the mmcblk0p2.img for the touch that has SSH pre-installed (download in "Select Boot" first post). Then use SSH to mount mmcblk0p1 and fix it. There are details in the "Select Boot" and "Fastboot Manifest" threads.

The LED is controlled by software, so on a bricked kindle, it not a good indicator of battery condition. To give a kindle a full battery charge, it should be in fastboot mode, and connected to a wall charger.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-02-2012 at 08:36 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #28
mcp1999

Thanks very much for your detailed response. I am away quite a bit in next few weeks so may not get a chance to look at it but will report back when I do.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #29
mcp1999

Hi geekmaster. I have followed your other threads and have now managed to get my Kindle into diags mode using the MfgTool.exe. I have tried selecting fastboot mode but am not sure I am actually in fastboot mode. How do I tell?

Apologies for my ignorance, but I also do not follow these instructions:

In fastboot mode, do:
gunzip mmcblk0p2.img.gz
sudo ./fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2.img

is fastboot and executable on the kindle? and if so, how do I mount the kindle when it is in fastboot mode to access this?

Millions of thanks again for all your efforts here.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #30
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Hi geekmaster. I have followed your other threads and have now managed to get my Kindle into diags mode using the MfgTool.exe. I have tried selecting fastboot mode but am not sure I am actually in fastboot mode. How do I tell?

Apologies for my ignorance, but I also do not follow these instructions:

In fastboot mode, do:
gunzip mmcblk0p2.img.gz
sudo ./fastboot flash diags mmcblk0p2.img

is fastboot and executable on the kindle? and if so, how do I mount the kindle when it is in fastboot mode to access this?

Millions of thanks again for all your efforts here.
When you plug in a kindle in fastboot mode, it shows up as a device with USB VID/PID 0x1949/0xD0D0. Also, the fastboot program should report its serial number when you do "fastboot getvar serial". If using linux fastboot, you need to run it as root.

There is a windows fastboot now too, which does not need the "sudo ./" at the front of the fastboot command. The windows version needs the libusb-win32 device drivers installed before it can see the kindle (otherwise you only see "< waiting for device >").

You can set fastboot mode from the diags exit menu (install fastboot bundle option).

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-26-2012 at 02:49 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote