Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
nuageuse
nuageuse began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo1
Question Blue light flashing on page turns

Hello,

My Kobo reader (first model), is sometimes flashing blue when I turn the page - is this normal? I have searched the guide and it does not mention a blue light on the page turns. It doesn't happen every time but I noticed it today and a) it is distracting and b) it must be wasting the battery. Have also searched Kobo site and couldn't find anything useful on this.

Anyone else have this problem and solved it?

Just wanted to say thanks to people on this forum. I have had my Kobo since last summer and had never been able to make it work (could not load any new books). I had put it to one side, disappointed, and I couldn't easily return it as I am in Europe and it was bought overseas. Now, following the instructions for reloading the database, I've finally got it working and I'm ecstatic.
nuageuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Yes, the blue LED flashes with every valid page turn.

If you push the page turn too soon after an initial page turn, it will not flash (to show you that the turn will not occur).

In other words you can't click three times fast and get three page turns.

It's not a problem, it's a feature.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
nuageuse

Thanks for the reply, is there no way to turn this off then? I was thinking it could improve the battery life and I don't need a blue light to tell me I'm turning a page.

Also, i just tested and I can click forward quickly three times and get three page turns, hmmm. Mine is from the dark ages though.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
I have the WiFi model and it doesn't allow storing of page turns. I know my original firmware allowed storing page turns, but the latest doesn't. Are you sure you have the latest version for your model?

I don't think the blue LED has much effect on the battery. My battery goes about 40 days between charges. I do power down each time I'm finished reading.

ltr

Last edited by ltr; 04-26-2011 at 03:33 PM.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
nuageuse

Ack, I've just watched some vids of the kobo on youtube and they don't show the blue led light flashing on the page turn. I'm thinking something is still wrong with mine. Anyone else has this going on? Seems like it is bugging me now and I can't turn a page without obsessing about it. Don't want to have to stick masking tape over the light as it will ruin the look of the thing.

I bet it is just me.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
nuageuse

I contacted customer support and they got back to me immediately. Unfortunately there is no way to disable the blue light on page turns. Perhaps it is something for the future. I'll stop worrying now, thanks for your help.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Yes, the blue LED flashes with every valid page turn.

If you push the page turn too soon after an initial page turn, it will not flash (to show you that the turn will not occur).

In other words you can't click three times fast and get three page turns.

It's not a problem, it's a feature.

ltr
This is not entirely true

on mine, using the latest update, I can get two page turns at a time (hit it twice in rapid succession), but the light will only flash once, but, if I press the button, wait for the page turn, press again, wait for the page turn, etc, I will get a flash for each turn.

Overall, each time the light flashes, I believe, but can't be 100% sure of, is when the device accesses the flash drive, which is why you see it go on in burst when you turn it on, or if you open a book.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
My original Kobo also flashes the blue LED for most page turns (but strangely not for all page turns).

I wouldn't worry about it using your batteries up, LED's are extremely power efficient.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
It will flash for most page turns that you read the whole page, but if you click it more that once in like 5 seconds it won't turn on. So nothing wrong, unless it's flashing more than once on a page turn?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
My Kobo WiFi blinks when I turn pages (so that's both models). It basically registers button presses. Yay! I don't notice much, but if it is a bit dark around me then it stands out.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote