Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #4021
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Ha! Very good. I hope the situation above wasn't quite that egregious ... although I must admit to having been surprised by Uncle Robin's reaction to the quote. It never occurred to me (having read what went before it) to try and interpret the words that way.

It was the "they make no attempt to dominate it" bit that really pushed my buttons. Clearly, their ancestors DID, as all humans everywhere have always done, short-sighted selfish kids in a candy shop, that's the very inaptly named Homo Sapiens Sapiens. If indigenous Australians are more in tune with the land now (which it definitely seems they are), it's because they've learned they have to be in order to survive.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:59 PM   #4022
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
It was the "they make no attempt to dominate it" bit that really pushed my buttons. Clearly, their ancestors DID, as all humans everywhere have always done, short-sighted selfish kids in a candy shop, that's the very inaptly named Homo Sapiens Sapiens. If indigenous Australians are more in tune with the land now (which it definitely seems they are), it's because they've learned they have to be in order to survive.
I can't help thinking that if we can't forgive the Aboriginal people for changing the landscape 50,000 years ago, what hope is there for the rest of us?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2021, 12:50 AM   #4023
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I can't help thinking that if we can't forgive the Aboriginal people for changing the landscape 50,000 years ago, what hope is there for the rest of us?
For me, there's a difference between not forgiving them and according them (or any other 'communing with Mother Earth' peoples) some unearned quasi-mystical moral superiority
Old 04-25-2021, 03:52 AM   #4024
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
For me, there's a difference between not forgiving them and according them (or any other 'communing with Mother Earth' peoples) some unearned quasi-mystical moral superiority
I don't think they are in any danger of being overwhelmed by it.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:45 PM   #4025
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

From Assassin by Kate Jennings (included in Australian Poetry Since 1788)

Quote:
She is an assassin of assumptions
Advert
Old 04-26-2021, 07:42 PM   #4026
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Really enjoyed the small selection of Kevin Brophy's work in Australian Poetry Since 1988, this quote made me see Australia differently

Quote:
The bike is a dream of low flying,
deep diving in air against the bluff of wind,
it teaches us hills and timing, slides us into curves
like a poem that, at last, fits this world.
Even the map of our country is the outline of a rider
crouched over a machine of wind and motion,
a dragon shadowed by its jockey
whose shape strains to hold in the spin
and dip of the planet’s waves, sand, ice
Old 04-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #4027
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

I really enjoyed this by Jamie Grant
Quote:
The Rime of the Ancient Cricketer
The first two balls he swung and missed;
the third ball struck his knee:
he is an ancient cricketer and he stoppeth one of three
But on Googling it, I found that it appeared in a collection of his work published in 1987, while a longer (and inferior imo) version is online attributed to a Michael Green and dated 1965. Someone has been using Tom as their Lehrer.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:37 AM   #4028
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

A couple more from Australian Poetry Since 1988

From The Birds
by Philip Hodgins (written after his leukemia returned)

Quote:
I've been rehearsing death each night,
and still I haven't got it right
and a link to another of his So and So's Famous Poem, one of VERY few poems about the art and craft of poetry in the more than 1000 pages of the anthology I've read so far.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:00 AM   #4029
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
‘I’m serious. What do you think I should do?’ asked Isaac, his eyes filled with angst.

Erika sighed and took his hand in hers. ‘You don’t want to hear what I think. I like being friends with you.’
-- Robert Bryndza, The Night Stalker (2016)
Old 05-18-2021, 04:07 AM   #4030
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Love is blind. She shakes herself, hard. A foolish notion. Whatever exists between them now cannot be called love. Call it friendship, companionship, the camaraderie of soldiers who have been through a dozen bloody wars together and somehow survived. Never love. Love is for children and milkmaids, for painters and their muses, for birds so caught up in the warm flush of spring fever they lose sight of everything but their own desire.
Quote:
‘Well, nobody needs gifts. But they can help, they can act as reminders that you’re not alone. Sometimes we need reminding.’
-- Lauren Chater, Gulliver's Wife (2020)
Old 06-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #4031
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
"That is how people are. Once they have food and drink and shelter, the next thing they must find is a quarrel."

A gently cynical observation from Adrian Tchaikovsky: The Tiger and the Wolf
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:01 AM   #4032
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
"That is how people are. Once they have food and drink and shelter, the next thing they must find is a quarrel."

A gently cynical observation from Adrian Tchaikovsky: The Tiger and the Wolf
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #4033
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
[Belle Gibson] would later tell her publisher that she believed her legions of online followers were attracted to her because what she was doing ‘was so raw and authentic’. There was not enough honesty out there, she claimed, and here she was, sharing her deeply personal story. ‘I think too many people on social media overly “edit” themselves,’ Gibson said. ‘Right from the start I was very open, and treated Instagram as my personal space — I really think it was that authenticity that people were attracted to.’
Quote:
Maybe [Belle Gibson] was trying a bit too hard to elicit sympathy. But fake cancer? No. No one thought she would do that. ‘There was a lot of things,’ said one former friend. ‘She would divert her gaze or she would stare right through you. Everyone just thought it was brain cancer. When you look back it’s like, Oh, that’s not cancer, that’s lying. But even if you thought she wasn’t telling the truth, who is going to be the person who turns around and says, “Hey, that 25-year-old single mother with brain cancer is lying.”?’
-- Beau Donelly and Nick Toscano, The Woman Who Fooled the World (2017)
Old 07-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #4034
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The quote is from "Strange Innocence"; an interview Mr. Waits granted J.T. LeRoy for Vanity Fair, July 2001.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F9AD76E7-0013-4718-A860-61B549E57D70.jpeg
Views:	9627
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	188200  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:10 PM   #4035
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The quote is from "Strange Innocence"; an interview Mr. Waits granted J.T. LeRoy for Vanity Fair, July 2001.
Awesome! Thanks, I needed that!
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote