Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
comet
Connoisseur
comet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis , Kindle Oasis 2, Tolino Epos
where starts kindle reading?

Hallo,

I observed the following using my kindle3: If I start reading a free ebook, converted from epub to mobi using calibre, the kindle starts at the beginning of the first chapter instead of the titlepage. Is this a bug or a feature? Or is it due to calibre?
comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is a setting in a Mobipocket book which tells it where to initially open. Sounds as if Calibre is setting this to be the start of the actual text of the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Whoever creates the ebook designates the "start" point, and they generally choose the beginning of the first chapter. So I guess you would call it a feature. That info is transferred to the new file when you convert it.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Whoever creates the ebook designates the "start" point, and they generally choose the beginning of the first chapter. So I guess you would call it a feature. That info is transferred to the new file when you convert it.
But ePub books don't have a start point: they always open at the beginning. Hence my comment that this is most likely something that Calibre is adding.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But ePub books don't have a start point: they always open at the beginning. Hence my comment that this is most likely something that Calibre is adding.
I just realized we posted at the same time, and I also just realized I got my formats mixed up again. I've really got to stop working in multiple formats, it's damaging my brain.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
The Redbaron
The Redbaron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Don't know if it's just a Calibre thing. I haven't used Calibre yet, and every book I've read in K3 has been purchased from Amazon, including a few freebies. Every book (so far - only about 6, haven't had it long) has started at the beginning of chapter 1, and pushing the "<" button has gone back to the cover etc.
The Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

As has been said, the creator of a book can make it open at any point they wish. It's entirely the choice of the book creator.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
All the ones I've opened have started at the 1st Chapter. You can press (menu) then (goto) and choose either (cover) or (Table of Contents) if there is a working TOC in the file though.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote