Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
k3viinz
k3viinz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation Vietnamese compatibility on Kindle 3

Hi, could someone please confirm if Vietnamese language works on the Kindle 3?
k3viinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
According to this thread, yes, it does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
k3viinz
k3viinz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Could you test it for me somehow? I want to buy a kindle, but want to read vietnamese on it.
k3viinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The person in the thread that I referred to above did test it, and reports that it worked fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It works for the Latin based script in use today, but probably not the Siniform based script used prior to 20th century. And of course this is just for display, not keyboard input (the latter would require a hack to add vietnamese alphabet to the Sym table).

Text search matches on the latin base character, so it should still be useable with Vietnamese even though you cannot type the word in 'correctly.'

Attached is a screenshot. I can't read Vietnamese but I don't see any obvious problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-32478.gif
Views:	361
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	72932  

Last edited by tomsem; 06-17-2011 at 12:18 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It works for the Latin based script in use today, but probably not the Siniform based script used prior to 20th century. And of course this is just for display, not keyboard input (the latter would require a hack to add vietnamese alphabet to the Sym table).

Text search matches on the latin base character, so it should still be useable with Vietnamese even though you cannot type the word in 'correctly.'

Attached is a screenshot. I can't read Vietnamese but I don't see any obvious problems.
You can do the jailbreak and change the screensaver if you like, but don't try to apply the font hack, because few Unicode fonts work well with Vietnamese marks.

So, if you leave the Kindle alone, some books are displayed well, but some others aren't, just like what Tomsem said above. However I never searched any vietnamese word so I don't know if text search actually works.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote