Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #31
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
....questionable legality depending upon where you live, questionable ethics depending upon your own moral compass...
This makes it sound so terrible. It may be technically correct but just to add some perspective:

It is currently legal/ethical in Canada (the home site of Mobileread I believe) to remove the DRM on an ebook as long as it is for personal use such as to archive for long-term storage, or convert so that it can be read on another reader you own. The only illegal or unethical issue is when it is used to create pirate copies.

The AA site that posts these tools specifically states that they are provided to support fair-use only, they refuse to support people who intend to use the tools for pirating purposes, that they love ebooks, authors, reading, and even ebook publishers and hope that everyone makes a profit so that new ebooks continue to be made and published, etc.

The only reason I buy ebooks (and I almost exclusively buy ebooks vs regular books now) is if I can remove the DRM and keep an archival copy (in html format) so that I never lose any book I buy. I don't sell my paper books now and I keep them and enjoy them again and again. No one company going out of business or dropping support can take away my paper books and they should not be able to do that to my ebooks either. Without these tools, I simply would not buy ebooks and my total book purchases would actually decrease. That said, I am totally against piracy and against not remunerating publishers and authors for their work. That is wrong.

As for Mobileread not allowing discussion of the specifics, I believe (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that Mobileread simply does not want to deal with all of the legal hassles from countries that have draconian laws that outlaw drm removal or software creation even for personal use because the laws there were written by lobbyist from industries that support DRM to trump "fair-use" and "common sense".

What I find truly unethical, is ebook sellers trying to take away your fair-use rights via questionable license agreements and then wanting to charge as much or more for what they are trying to "rent" to you. That is truly unethical and they all should be ashamed of themselves.

But that is another story.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Well said. Karma coming.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #33
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

This makes it sound so terrible. It may be technically correct but just to add some perspective:

It is currently legal/ethical in Canada (the home site of Mobileread I believe) to remove the DRM on an ebook as long as it is for personal use such as to archive for long-term storage, or convert so that it can be read on another reader you own. The only illegal or unethical issue is when it is used to create pirate copies.

The AA site that posts these tools specifically states that they are provided to support fair-use only, they refuse to support people who intend to use the tools for pirating purposes, that they love ebooks, authors, reading, and even ebook publishers and hope that everyone makes a profit so that new ebooks continue to be made and published, etc.

The only reason I buy ebooks (and I almost exclusively buy ebooks vs regular books now) is if I can remove the DRM and keep an archival copy (in html format) so that I never lose any book I buy. I don't sell my paper books now and I keep them and enjoy them again and again. No one company going out of business or dropping support can take away my paper books and they should not be able to do that to my ebooks either. Without these tools, I simply would not buy ebooks and my total book purchases would actually decrease. That said, I am totally against piracy and against not remunerating publishers and authors for their work. That is wrong.

As for Mobileread not allowing discussion of the specifics, I believe (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that Mobileread simply does not want to deal with all of the legal hassles from countries that have draconian laws that outlaw drm removal or software creation even for personal use because the laws there were written by lobbyist from industries that support DRM to trump "fair-use" and "common sense".

What I find truly unethical, is ebook sellers trying to take away your fair-use rights via questionable license agreements and then wanting to charge as much or more for what they are trying to "rent" to you. That is truly unethical and they all should be ashamed of themselves.

I agree completely. I was just trying to be VERY neutral so as to avoid the inevitable derailing of the thread by the morality police that ALWAYS seems to be lurking on (trolling) this forum.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #34
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Hi,

Excellent post. Totally agree.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #35
Bev M
Enthusiast
Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.Bev M is no ebook tyro.

Device: JetBook Lite
Agree here as well...and I wish I could present a medal for these wonderful tools!
Bev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #36
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Hi,

Remember, Mobileread has also gotten a 'take-down' notice from Amazon for 'Kindle PID' and 'Kindlefix' tools and the visual wiki's created for using same in the past. You can understand their hesitance to get in a tussle with big corporations.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #37
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Hi,

Well said, well said.

We need combat these powers that seek to take away our 'common sense' freedom for their own benefits. Be aware of it or not, the freedom we have today is not a physical law of the universe. If it can be gained then we can also have it taken away from us.

Cheers

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 06-17-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #38
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool personal settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
I found that Calibre replaces the old with the new automatically.
did it also keep all of the personal settings?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #39
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
did it also keep all of the personal settings?
Yes - it will "move" your configuration settings to the new version of plug-in
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #40
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Yes - it will "move" your configuration settings to the new version of plug-in
cool, thanks!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #41
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
The following quote was snipped to summarize since it has been quoted a few times already in this thread:
Quote:
Excellent post Kevin!!! Much karma to you.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote