Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
ragados
ragados began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question UK Reader looking for an eReader with specific file support

Heya folks,

I have been scouring the web trying to get some sense of which ereader will suit my needs. The main format support I am interested in are:
.mobi (non DRM)
.lit (again non DRM)
.txt
.pdf
.jpeg
.gif

Would be good:
.epub (mostly non DRM)

I was looking ideally for a 6" reader but most important to me is that I am not required to email documents of the above formats to some address so that I can get them converted to download (I have set a kindle up for my mother's christmas present and it took all my will not to chuck it out of the window from sheer frustration at getting her .doc files onto the thing without having to pay out a fortune for accidentally not including .free. in the email addy). I am happy to run conversions on a PC but find the incessant emailing given file limits a major turn-off with a reader as I get through content very quickly and would rather spend my time reading than getting content onto my reader. Equally I use my PC as my hub for content and so have no need for WiFi or 3G for the reader (although if they are included that's great).

Could you please let me know which if any of your systems conform to these criteria and if none do, which comes closest?
Many thanks
Dev
ragados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
hmmm .lit ebooks ...do you still watch betamax videos as well :-)

anyway try this reader
http://www.jetbook.net/
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Dev,

There's absolutely no need to mail files to get content onto the Kindle - it's far easier to simply copy them via the USB connection.

Given that Mobi is a requirement, I honestly do think that the Kindle is your best bet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As you can see from the E-book Reader Matrix, the LIT format isn't usually supported. Only the Hanlin's include this and in the UK the BeBook One appears to have been discontinued. There may be other sources of a Hanlin V3+, since they are sold under many names. Even on the Hanlin's, support for LIT has been hit and miss.

I think you are better off converting to ePub, or (for the Kindles) MOBI, using Calibre. Then your choice isn't limited by format. If you want a device with wide format support, then the BeBook Club or Neo are one option. Another is Pocketbook, and note that the 602 is out now but not in the Matrix.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If you want that many formats the best in my opinion is the Jet Book which can take just about anything you can throw at it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
ragados

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's absolutely no need to mail files to get content onto the Kindle - it's far easier to simply copy them via the USB connection.
I know that mobi, txt and pdf worked fine on the direct transfer but I could find no way of getting .doc, .jpg, .gif or any other image format onto the device except having it converted to the amazon format via email? Is that wrong? I did try direct copy and the kindle simply didn't see them.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
ragados

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
...do you still watch betamax videos as well
Of course! this VHS craze will never hold up in the long run, the quality is just so inferior!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hi ragados,

if I were in your shoes, I'd buy me an Italica Reader. It is 6'', can read almost everything you want to and cost just 99€ right now, because the whole world is gone wificrazy...

http://www.italicareader.com/?page_id=9&lang=en

I got one and love it dearly.

Regards Poppaea
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragados View Post
Heya folks,

I have been scouring the web trying to get some sense of which ereader will suit my needs. The main format support I am interested in are:
.mobi (non DRM)
.lit (again non DRM)
.txt
.pdf
.jpeg
.gif

Would be good:
.epub (mostly non DRM)

I was looking ideally for a 6" reader but most important to me is that I am not required to email documents of the above formats to some address so that I can get them converted to download (I have set a kindle up for my mother's christmas present and it took all my will not to chuck it out of the window from sheer frustration at getting her .doc files onto the thing without having to pay out a fortune for accidentally not including .free. in the email addy). I am happy to run conversions on a PC but find the incessant emailing given file limits a major turn-off with a reader as I get through content very quickly and would rather spend my time reading than getting content onto my reader. Equally I use my PC as my hub for content and so have no need for WiFi or 3G for the reader (although if they are included that's great).

Could you please let me know which if any of your systems conform to these criteria and if none do, which comes closest?
Many thanks
Dev
For this bundle of formats, BeBook One would be the one to go for.
I don't like the design/"touch and feel", but the firmware and featureset is one of the best. There's even a modified firmware, allowing for more than 1 DRM file format (DRMed .prc/.mobi + DRMed .ePUB/.pdf at once).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
There's even a modified firmware, allowing for more than 1 DRM file format (DRMed .prc/.mobi + DRMed .ePUB/.pdf at once).
Hm, thats what Italica is able to do but is much cheaper

Quote:
italica opens .txt, .rtf, .pdf, .fb2, .epub, .html, and .prc files including image files such as .bmp, .jpg, and .gif. italica is embedded with Adobe® Reader® Mobile software, allowing you to read DRM protected ePUB and PDF files.

Last edited by Poppaea; 12-25-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: TechSpecs added
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:48 AM   #11
ragados

thanks for all the feedback guys, I was looking at the BeBook One I will have to investigate the Italica especially at that price!