Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 AM   #1
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Breaks after Chapter Titles

I've been cleaning up some EPUBs for use on my Reader, and I've hit a weird issue with my CSS. I've inserted a page break after my chapter headings, and the space shows up fine in Calibre's reader, but on my PRS-350 and on my Bookeen Opus, the break does not appear and there is no space between the heading and the first paragraph.

This is the first part of the chapter:

Code:
<h3 id="heading_id_4"><a id="chapter_1"></a>1: <span class="italic">Damp Dynamite</span></h3>

<div class="break">
    <br />
  </div>

<p>The story of the little man...</p>
And this is my stylesheet:

Code:
@page {
	margin-top: 0.25em;
	margin-bottom: 0.25em;
}

body {
	display: block;
	text-align: justify;
}

p {
	text-indent: 2em;
	margin-top: 0;
	margin-bottom: 0.25em;
}

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5 {
	text-align: center;
	text-indent: 0;
}

p.missive {
	margin-left: 1em;
	margin-right: 1em;
	text-indent: 0em;
}

p.missive-indent {
	text-indent: 2em;
}

.center {
	text-align: center;
}

.italic {
	font-style: italic;
}

.bold {
	font-weight: bold;
}

.small-caps {
	font-variant: small-caps;
	}

.right {
	text-align: right;
	}

blockquote {
	text-indent: 0;
	}

.break {
	margin-bottom: 1em;
	}
Any idea of what might be causing this problem?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Hm, using <p>&nbsp;</p> in place of <p><br /></p> seems to get better results. Not sure why.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Using <div class="break"> <br /> </div> is like inserting air. There is literally nothing for the screen to display. Using <p>&nbsp;</p> inserts a non-breaking space. Some html browsers and ebook reader browsers will ignore air like your first example.

On another note, you can use H1 and I think even H2 tags without all that CSS gibberish to create a page break.