Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #31
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Ray Bradbury's "The Town Where No One Got Off"
That DOES sound scary.

Everyone must be super uptight all the time.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrowsnaill View Post
I recommend any of H.P Lovecraft's compendiums that include my favorite scary story called "The Dreams in the Witch House"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisanthropic View Post
My absolute favorite Lovecraft story!
Sounds interesting. I'll make it my Halloween treat.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 03:18 AM   #33
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
For those interested, it seems that Recordings from the House of Leaves can be listened to also by non-UK residents. Iirc the program will be available to listen to for 6 or 7 days.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #34
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I want to throw in anything by F. Paul Wilson.
Read "buckets" for a halloween-themed short story.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Not books, but a couple of short stories that made an 'impression' on me.

Poe! - The Pit and the Pendulum
The Tell-Tale Heart

Kafka - In the Penal Colony

Last edited by kennyc; 10-29-2011 at 08:24 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #36
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Another Harlan Ellison Shattered Like A Glass Goblin.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #37
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

The Tell-Tale Heart

And, du Maurier's The Birds.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The Tell-Tale Heart

Speaking of Poe—although not a story, his poem "The Raven" is a true masterpiece of the macabre.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And my favorite is Annabel Lee!
http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/annabel-lee/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
And my favorite is Annabel Lee!
http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/annabel-lee/
Another chilling and killing great poem, as is the tintinnabulation of The Bells!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #41
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
You can skim a lot of the footnotes; since the book mimes an academic work in some sections they're often entirely technical and have no relevance to the plot(s). Other times they are a sort of diary of a madman, so they are intentionally obscure. I read them all the first time through and on subsequent reads skim what I know to be superfluous.

It's not as dense as it looks -- some of it is just gimmicks honestly -- but I can't recommend it enough. I hope you give a try soon
Thanks for replying about the footnotes. I think they are the part that daunts me most.
I don't mind footnotes as such, but when they're huge ( A la Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell ) I find it hard to concentrate on them.

I'll move it up my reading stack and give it a try soon.
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #42
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It's been 10 years since I've read it but I seem to remember the footnotes being as good or better than the main pages and that much of the plot moves forward in the footnotes.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #43
silky0439
silky0439 began at the beginning.

Device: android
Ihave to admitThe Amityville Horror is easily one of the scariest books I havve ever read. The fact that is supposed. To be a true story and also the fact that we have driven past the property numerous times makes it all the more eerie.
silky0439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:56 AM   #44
Starbreaker
Starbreaker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
There were scenes in Stephen King's Bag of Bones and Lisey's Story that I still remember creeping me out.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #45
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by silky0439 View Post
Ihave to admitThe Amityville Horror is easily one of the scariest books I havve ever read. The fact that is supposed. To be a true story and also the fact that we have driven past the property numerous times makes it all the more eerie.
Seconded!

I got the book from a charity shop when I was 18. It scared the heck out of me. I might even give it a re-read.
I remember reading it in bed by candlelight, it made it even more atmospheric.
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote