Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #241
tomhck
Enthusiast
tomhck began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
sorry tom, do you mind me asking why you no longer use it?
I cannot seem to be able to make it work very smoothly (sometiems it does turn the pages, sometimes it does not), and i am sure it must be me, but I have to say that with a device this size the "wrist turn" does not really feel that comfortable: was this an issue for you?
Maybe it was a font issue, but text appeared to be a "fuzzy" and hard to read for me. And 902 is really too heavy and big for comfortable "wrist turn" — fast reading and wrist turning can cause small tornado and big muscles
tomhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #242
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhck View Post
fast reading and wrist turning can cause small tornado and big muscles

@troll05
yes I have, and I have also played around with turning angles, but perhaps I should experiment some more - but as I am finding the movement a bit weird, it may be that I am not wrist-turning as expected. Will try again!

@review
Thanks for the tip on file formats, I will study that too (I am considering converting my work files to html, as most of them are in latex, but perhaps I should consider converting them to rtf).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #243
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
@paolamanzini
I'm intersted in hearing your progress of your converted files once you've done it. My rtf files were rather simple. No tables no images, just here and there some greek or hebrew fonts. At the moment, I would strongly discourage you using anything in html. That's because the only available html viewer (fbreader) does a really bad job in interpreting html. Even the most simple formats or styles are simply ignored and I don't mean anything really advanced or sophisticated. No I mean things which worked with Windows Explorer 3.0 (some ten years ago). I was really struggling hard to get my Newsfeed reading program to the stage that the papers are somehow good to read. So at the moment, html is a really no-go on the 903 (and others probably as well). I haven't checked the formatting of my rtf files, I was simply glad that I could open them now at all.
However, if you have the latex files available, I would have thought that adapting the page layout of the latex file and then using pdflatex would give the most advanced books to read. I guess companies like http://pediapress.com/ do it in a very similar way. They claim that there is no difference in the layout quality compared to a traditional book which is exactly what would latex do for you. So what am I'm missing that you want to convert your files to rtf? Sure, with rtf it is easy to change the font size which would be that easy possible with the pdf.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #244
tomhck
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
@paolamanzini
At the moment, I would strongly discourage you using anything in html. That's because the only available html viewer (fbreader) does a really bad job in interpreting html.
Isn't possible to use integrated web browser (Midori) instead of the fbreader for html files? Sorry for the off-topic.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #245
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhck View Post
Isn't possible to use integrated web browser (Midori) instead of the fbreader for html files? Sorry for the off-topic.
You're certainly right!

The midori is doing html way better. But at the moment midori is not optimised for a good reading experience on the pocketbook. There are many bugs mentioned (font size, scrolling options, saving of changes, no landscape, ...). That was the reason why I thought paola wouldn't be that satisfied with the experience of html files. I certainly was frustrated initially when I noticed the disadvantages of viewing html files in fbreader. Having said this doesn't mean that I don't view html files in fbreader anymore. I still use it frequently for viewing the output of my RSS application. But my news-reader application is just using some <h1> and <b>, <i> tags. Nothing more fancy. So for this purpose it works ok.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #246
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi review,

Quote:
However, if you have the latex files available, I would have thought that adapting the page layout of the latex file and then using pdflatex would give the most advanced books to read. I guess companies like http://pediapress.com/ do it in a very similar way. They claim that there is no difference in the layout quality compared to a traditional book which is exactly what would latex do for you. So what am I'm missing that you want to convert your files to rtf? Sure, with rtf it is easy to change the font size which would be that easy possible with the pdf.
my problem is that the pdf files that are generated (in the standard font) are not very legible, unless I adapt the margins or change the font, something that is not always possible/practical if you have to e.g. conform to journal requirements or if you are working with other coauthors - I will definitely stay away from html, then, and will update you on how the files looks: I'll try to post an image of the pdflatexed fle and of its rtf twin (well, if I manage to discover how to do it ).
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #247
paola
Wizard

Quote:
You're certainly right!

The midori is doing html way better. But at the moment midori is not optimised for a good reading experience on the pocketbook. There are many bugs mentioned (font size, scrolling options, saving of changes, no landscape, ...). That was the reason why I thought paola wouldn't be that satisfied with the experience of html files.
spot on! of course, we hope the next proper firmware update is going to sort things out...
Old 01-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #248
review
Addict

Quote:
I'll try to post an image of the pdflatexed fle and of its rtf twin (well, if I manage to discover how to do it ).
in fedora linux I use latex2rtf
latex2rtf-2.1.0-1.fc13.i686 : LaTeX to RTF converter that handles equations,
: figures, and cross-references

http://latex2rtf.sourceforge.net/

However, I haven't tested the output of those files on the pocketbook. And I even don't know to which extend all specifications of rtf are interpreted in fbreader180 but we'll find out.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #249
paola
Wizard

ok, I am trying - by far the best outcome is if I convert the file from latex to xhtml: problem is, after I have done so I do not know how to transfer the file to the device: calibre wants to convert it to epub (with awful results), and if I copy both the file itself and the .css one, the device cannot see it. I know this must be something very silly, but I cannot figure it out: perhaps I should rename the .xhtml extension (to xtm perhaps?)?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #250
review
Addict

well, I think there might be a few options. First, try to just name it html, then it would open it with fbreader. If you want to open it by default with the webbrowser we might have to have a look into the extensions.cfg file. With regard to the webbrowser, I'm at the moment not sure how to open local files in it. I tried once the file:///mnt/ext1/myfile.html trick but it didn't work as expected.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #251
paola
Wizard

Quote:
well, I think there might be a few options. First, try to just name it html, then it would open it with fbreader.
thanks review, I'll try that - do I also have to copy the .css file in teh same directory?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #252
review
Addict

yes, the css needs to be "near" the html file. When I say near, I mean that in the html file there will be a link to the css. if the link is simply the name, then the same folder is ok. if the link to the css is something like css/mycssfile.css then this means that you have to either change this link or create a folder with the given name and put the css in there.

But a "blind guess" would be to assume that the html file will look in the same folder for the css. So put it there and if it doesn't work you might want to have a look at the html file itself.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:40 AM   #253
paola
Wizard

Quote:
yes, the css needs to be "near" the html file. When I say near, I mean that in the html file there will be a link to the css. if the link is simply the name, then the same folder is ok. if the link to the css is something like css/mycssfile.css then this means that you have to either change this link or create a folder with the given name and put the css in there.

But a "blind guess" would be to assume that the html file will look in the same folder for the css. So put it there and if it doesn't work you might want to have a look at the html file itself.
ok many thanks - last night I tried and it did look horrible, it had lost all teh nice formattign. HAving said that, I was a bit in a hurry, and I may have made some mistakes - will try again tonight. Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:11 AM   #254
review
Addict

Quote:
ok many thanks - last night I tried and it did look horrible, it had lost all teh nice formattign. HAving said that, I was a bit in a hurry, and I may have made some mistakes - will try again tonight. Thanks for the tips!
yes, I can well believe that it looked horrible. The fbreader does not at all obey the html formatting apart from headlines, bold and italic. Certainly no css. The only place where you might see a reasonably good formatted file would be in the webbrowser.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #255
tomhck
Enthusiast

Quote:
… last night I tried and it did look horrible, it had lost all teh nice formattign.
You can also try to convert your html to epub and open it in the (pocketbook) adobe reader. But adobe reader has a problem with foreign characters and displays question marks instead of them.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/314859
It would be really nice to have a html capable and comfortable reader. Midori mother + fbreader father = fibori?