Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 03:57 AM   #31
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Height need not be an issue: if Peter Jackson can make John Rhys-Davies appear sub-5-feet tall for Gimli the dwarf in LOTR, much is possible!

Cheers,
That's true. Even back in the day they made Bogart look tall and even Charles Bronson came out looking like his Wiki bio (5'11") instead of the 5'7" that he actually was! Maybe we could use Peewee Herman?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:28 AM   #32
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've read through the entire series twice, enjoying everything about it! I can't wait for the next book to come out. These are great 'traveling books,' perfect for a nine-hour plane ride. No deep thinking required. Just like the 'Spenser' series by Robert Parker, but those are better for 4 hour rides. When Parker stopped writing about Spenser and started up Jessie Stone, it was more like 'Spencer goes to the Beach.' I don't want to see Child create a different Reacher. I like the old one.

Jack Reacher
Lucas Davenport
Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus
Lincoln Rhyme (although deeper plot construction)

John K said "I was going to describe this series as the guy equivalent of “Chick Lit” and I think he's right. I out-grew the Hardy Boy and Tom Swift. These took their place.

Stitchawl
Add Bob Lee Swagger
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #33
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Is he big enough? I always think of him as thin and wiry. Remember, one of Reacher's advantages is is size.

Perhaps Jason Statham or Daniel Craig, but with a little bit of Hollywood 'thickening.' In either case it would take some creative camera work.
Craig has the kind of 'presence' Jack has, yes... The first popping into my mind was Dolph Lundgren. He has the size for it, but is perhaps a bit old by now.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #34
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkers View Post
Add Bob Lee Swagger
Yes... I'd certainly add him to the list! And for us older, no-longer-toned guys, Inspector Rebus!

Stitchawl
Old 08-27-2010, 06:49 AM   #35
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Craig has the kind of 'presence' Jack has, yes... The first popping into my mind was Dolph Lundgren. He has the size for it, but is perhaps a bit old by now.
Lundgren was actually my first thought. Then I rejected him for age. Reacher really needs to be beefy. A human Hulk sort of size. A walking wall. Not the body builder type like Stallone or Arnie were. More like a Golum.

Stitchawl
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #36
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
Arnie would be perfect shame about the accent.
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #37
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Back in the day, Burt Lancaster would have been good for the role. Today? I like Statham but I'd rather see Viggo Mortensen play it.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #38
Greenbeast
Greenbeast began at the beginning.

Device: K4, PW
Statham is a good choice i think.
Greenbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #39
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I'm late to the discussion but I really liked the Reacher series. At least those I could get from the library. So far I've read Without Fail, Persuader, The Enemy and Bad Luck and Trouble.

They are good action packed reads for the times you don't really want an overly complex plot.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have the 2nd book ready to go. Just need to finish a few others first.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:21 PM   #41
JoeKeppler
New Author
JoeKeppler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I fell in love with Lee Child's Reacher series because, to me, it's like reading a modern day Western. Especially with the aforementioned stops and starts and the clipped sentences.

It's all very matter of fact, very bare bones. It almost seems naturalist to me. Especially when it comes to detailing Reacher's habitual workouts, stark, black and white observations of his surroundings, and, of course, his "I'll rescue the damsel in distress that can't help but want me in the worst way but I'll inevitably have to leave her because she'll never be able to live the life of the wanderer" mindset.

I think Childs intends him to come off as more regimented soldier than cowboy, but I can't help think of Sam Elliot, Henry Fonda or the Duke whenever I read about Reacher rolling into town and then eventually off into the sunset for the next novel.
JoeKeppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #42
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
I've mentioned elsewhere, but for me this series is becoming quite samey and tedious, I am reading Gone Tomorrow currently but already struggling to hold interest.

To be fair Kathy Reichs and Patricia Cornwell both did the same ....... I think I read authors to death and get bored very quickly.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #43
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
So maybe we should alternate -- but stick with the same genre.

Quote:
Jack Reacher
Lucas Davenport
Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus
Lincoln Rhyme (although deeper plot construction)
I like the Lincoln Rhyme ones (I'm savoring them, and have only done 2 so far). I like the first Jack Reacher and will continue with them. Guess I'll have to check out the other two you mentioned!

Has anyone read "Pawn" (and subsequent "Rook" and "Knight") by Steven James? The hero is Patrick Bowers. I've just read those three, pretty much straight in a row, and I'm awaiting the 4th! Bowers is another yummy action hero sleuth!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #44
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I really like the Reacher series although there are one or two that don't quite measure up with the rest of them. Still, in all, good reads.

Now that John Sanford has his new spin-off series with Virgil Flowers as the main character, I've moved away from Child and look for Sanford. Fun stuff!

Stitchawl
Old 09-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #45
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Has anyone read "Pawn" (and subsequent "Rook" and "Knight") by Steven James? The hero is Patrick Bowers. I've just read those three, pretty much straight in a row, and I'm awaiting the 4th! Bowers is another yummy action hero sleuth!
Hmmm?? i picked up "Pawn" as a freebie ages ago and never got around to reading it. Don't think it's even still on my Kindle. Going to have to take a look at it.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote