Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
wadood
wadood began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader
SD card vs. memory stick vs. high speed memory stick

Does anyone know which one works best for Sony reader. I tried SD card and it was painfully slow for pdf files with over 100 pages.
I believe memory stick would perform better.
How about more expensive MSX-M2GN MemStick which boasts of 80Mbps high speed memory?
Can Sony reader take advantage of MSXs or will I be wasting my money?
Thanks,
wadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
I use a Kensington 2GB 120x Ultimate SD card and have no problems what-so-ever in reading 500 page PDFs or 4000 page RTF (longest reads so far). No page slowdown even at the last 10%.
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #3
wadood

My pdf is a scanned text - each page is an image and 400 pages of pdf takes over 10 seconds to turn a page on SD card.
I would think Sony reader would do better with memory stick but I am not sure if it can take advantage of superfast MSX-M2GN. I have ordered one and will post a comparison between the reader memory, sd card and memory stick.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur

There is clearly a difference in my Minimum Size printed PDF vs. your large "picture" pages. I still think the speed of the SD card will have an effect, though I have no empirical data to back that up.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:49 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Bob
There is clearly a difference in my Minimum Size printed PDF vs. your large "picture" pages. I still think the speed of the SD card will have an effect, though I have no empirical data to back that up.
Do you see a speed difference between reading the document from internal memory and reading it from an SD card? That at least would give an indication as to whether the slowdown is inherent in Reader' handling of the document, or dependent upon the medium on which it's stored.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur

I have not tried that experiment with the same document. With the size of the SD, I write everything to the SD card.

I'll transfer the same large file to internal memory and see if I can detect a difference and report back.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur

I just ran a test on a 900K, 541 page PDF file, stored on both the 2GB card and Internal Memory.

I turned the first three pages in both documents, and turned three pages 90% of the way through the file. I could not detect an appreciable difference between the first pages and 90% though the work, nor between the Internal Memory and the 120X speed SD Card. All pages ran at about 1.6 seconds from button push to completed new page.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Interesting - thanks for trying that. So would you interpret that as showing that, at least with a decent SD card, the display speed is determined by the speed at which Reader can do its processing, and the speed that the EPD screen works at, rather than being limited by the speed of the card? That would seem to be what your results suggest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #9
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur

Exactly, it is my belief that a slow card can create a bottleneck to processing the file. I'm reasonably certain that this 120X ultra card (used to use it in may camera before I got a 4GB for it) is much faster (over-kill?) than the Reader itself.

I've been surprised that other users have had such slow page turns on even a 100 page document. In addition to card speed this may also be due to the file size, and the resulting size of each page. I always use the "Smallest File Size" option when creating a PDF file, which results in a file that is about 25% the size of a fully optioned file from Acrobat Pro 7.0
Old 12-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
I'd bet a fast SD card will make the reader faster when you first put the card in and the metadata loads, but for turning pages it shouldn't really matter. It also shouldn't matter how many pages the doc has when turning them (only initial load).

The time it takes to read even an enormous 1MB pdf page from a slow 8mbps sd card is still... 1 second. The biggest bottleneck is in processing the pdf pages and all their rendering directives and parameters. It shouldn't happen to an image-based pdf, however. Hmm... I wonder if there's other useless crap embedded in it as well. If you have Adobe Acrobat, you can try going to Advanced > PDF Optimizer and dumping as much junk as possible.

Also, if page turn speed is that important to you, you can try my PDFrasterFarian script which renders pdfs into image-based BBeB books. Page turns are then about 2s incl. eink.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:14 PM   #11
Solan0
Solan0 began at the beginning.

i use acrobat pro 7 too but if you use smallest file size or pdf optimizer it diminish the quality of the image really bad (for me at least) it works for books. I prefer quality over the size of the pdf cause i have a 4 gig card.
But be careful when you transfer your files cause you can lock your memory card it happened to me. It gave me the warning : " unable to complete operation destination can no longer be accessed".
I could read and delete files from the memory card but couldnt add any to it, tried to reformat with windows or add files manually with connect software, didnt work.
Hopefully i have a psp, put it in it and reformat it, now it works fine.
I'm gonna try to fill in the whole 4 gigs to see if really works.
Solan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:19 PM   #12
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
I'd bet a fast SD card will make the reader faster when you first put the card in and the metadata loads, but for turning pages it shouldn't really matter. It also shouldn't matter how many pages the doc has when turning them (only initial load)...
Clearly you have more knowledge on the subject than I, but I would direct your attention to the top of this thread where wadood states it takes over "10 seconds" per page turn. Clearly something is causing the slowdown. My experience with a fast card and minimized file size, in a longer work, is contrary to wadood. JMHO
Old 12-14-2006, 03:07 AM   #13
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

In the PDF Optimizer, there are separate settings for Images and document structure. Image quality you want to preserve (high DPI, etc.), while the document structure you want to simplify as much as possible. (e.g., under Discard Objects check everything. Also try flattening transparency and shifting the slider toward Raster).

Sorry about plugging my own little script, but I do think it's very useful for this specific issue of long page turns. Check out this thread.

Last edited by alex_d; 12-14-2006 at 03:11 AM.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:56 AM   #14
Muskrat
Enthusiast
Muskrat began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Hi,
I also am getting the warning message "unable to complete operation destination can no longer be accessed" and cannot add any more files to my 4gb card. Did you try filling up the card to full capacity? Did it work? Mine is stuck at 2.5gb and I have no way of formatting it.
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #15
wadood

I have PDF files made up of images in a non-Latin language. File sizes are about 100 mbs for a typical 500 page book. I have realized that Sony reader can not handle such sizes on kind of SD or its mauch vaulted high-speed memory stick. It takes about 10 minutes to turn a page from 500 page PDF book. Please note that each page is an image that was scanned - so no textual mapping is possible. My soultion was to break the book into 200 page (50 mb) sections and it kind of works (takes between 5-10 seconds to turn a page on thh auxilary media).
By the way, the same book works pretty well on my neighbour's IRex, so here also lies the difference between the capabilities of IRex and Sony.