Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
bupe
bupe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Exclamation Hungarian accented characters 'ő' and 'ű' show up as '?'

Dear all,

I recently aquired a Sony PRS-300 and I'm having the above issue when trying to read my Google Reader rss feeds on the device.

Everything is as expected, except the 'ő' and 'ű' characters which show up only as a question mark ('?').

Please advise what to do, I already flashed a custom firmware to the device that I found on a Russian forum (http://translate.google.com/translat...ate.google.com, version 1.01a) but it still does not display the above characters properly.

Best regards,
Peter
bupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
I believe that the glyphs you want are U+0151 & U+0171. These should be available in any font which implements the Latin Extended-A character set.

Try using a font like FreeSerif which you can get from here.

You will need to either embed the font in you document or hack your ereader to use this font by default. My preference is to embed the font - disk space is cheap.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
bupe
bupe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Clarification request

Thank you for your reply Troy.
Can you elaborate on how to embed the font when calibre is converting the Google Reeder feeds to the epub format?

Best regards,
Peter
bupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
I don't know of any way to have Calibre do it automatically. You would need to use an app like Sigil to edit the epub & embed it.

(edit: hmmm....maybe it could be done in the recipe?)

That might be a simple feature request for Calibre's epub output, though.
A) point to local font in epub output config page
B) then when epubs are created Calibre would:
  1. copy font file to /OEBPS/Fonts
  2. add font file to manifest in content.opf
  3. add @font-face declaration to css
  4. add body tag w/font family declaration to css

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
font embedding for epub is on the todo list, there are a few technical complications that mean I haven't gt around to addressing it yet.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
See this post that explains what should be modified in google recipe to enable propper display of these characters.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=106
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote