Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE

So why doesn't anyone use their own picture as their avatar?

I suppose most people are not as photogenic as I am?

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I didn't because I was too lazy to find one, crop it, and optimize it. And because I'm just not as photogenic as you :-P .
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Take your pick:
a)The interwebs are a better place for not having my pic splashed on every post I make
b)I prefer people not to know what I look like
c)It's far more fun to change the picture to random things when the mood hits
d)I'm really Elvis, so my real picture tends to get people calling me a fake, or calling the tabloids.

ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I enjoy the process of finding new avatars. Most of mine are paintings of ladies reading....although I did use a bowl of peach ice cream once. I much prefer to be behind a camera rather than in front of it. In fact, most of my photographs don't have people in them. I once had a friend ask if I could actually prove I'd been on a trip because I wasn't in any of the pictures.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
I much prefer to be behind a camera rather than in front of it. In fact, most of my photographs don't have people in them. I once had a friend ask if I could actually prove I'd been on a trip because I wasn't in any of the pictures.

Dreamer
Snap! Even at school I used to have to promise to get at least one picture with me in it to prove I'd been where I said I'd been!

Derailing the thread even more, I was taking a photo in the ruins of a castle once - there was no-one in sight, but just out the corner of my eye I saw a figure approach. Thinking it was The Yeti, I yelled out "wait a moment!", took the shots I wanted then called out that it was OK. And went bright red as a small party of Japanese tourists walked out!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Wink

What do you mean "...why doesn't anyone use their own picture as their avatar?..."
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Some members do use a photograph that they "claim" is their photograph. Others have drawings that look a lot like them. For example, Alex, Bob Russell, Patricia, and Zelda look exactly like the drawings in their avatars. Some say that my avatar is a good representation of the inside of my brain.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Derailing the thread even more, I was taking a photo in the ruins of a castle once - there was no-one in sight, but just out the corner of my eye I saw a figure approach. Thinking it was The Yeti, I yelled out "wait a moment!", took the shots I wanted then called out that it was OK. And went bright red as a small party of Japanese tourists walked out!
Derail a thread?! No, not us!

You sound just like me when it comes to photos!! I traveled to Spain a couple of years ago on a group tour. There were two girls who insisted that someone take a picture of them at almost every stop on the tour. Here I was...working so hard to avoid having people in my pictures (upward angles work very well and capture a unique view of physical structures) and these girls just wanted pictures of themselves obscuring all of the beautiful places we visited.

Dreamer
Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
What are you talking about? My avatar is my picture
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
This is what you look like after a while in the llounge...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
So why doesn't anyone use their own picture as their avatar?

I suppose most people are not as photogenic as I am?

Keith
Keith, has anyone welcomed you to MobileRead yet?

If not, Welcome to MobileRead!

What do you like to read?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Oh well, I guess all of you either use your own picture or have good excuses. I actaually do like most of the ones used. LJ, is there a larger, clearer picture of your avatar somewhere? So which one is Zelda, the one on the right or left in her avatar? (Maybe this will get her to respond to this thread).

I presume that the avatar that shows on a post is the poster's current avatar, and so if I change to a symbolic avatar, my opening post is going to look very strange.

DG, I read mostly SF or mystery, but I'm currently reading War for the Oaks by Emma Bull, which is fantasy.

BD and SNCM, when we take vacation pictures, they are always people free if at all possible, except for a few that are specifically people. Sometimes it is a real pain, waiting for a picture as one person finally walks out of view as another just walks in.

By the way, what is WWHALD?

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
Oh well, I guess all of you either use your own picture or have good excuses. I actaually do like most of the ones used. LJ, is there a larger, clearer picture of your avatar somewhere? So which one is Zelda, the one on the right or left in her avatar? (Maybe this will get her to respond to this thread).

I presume that the avatar that shows on a post is the poster's current avatar, and so if I change to a symbolic avatar, my opening post is going to look very strange.

DG, I read mostly SF or mystery, but I'm currently reading War for the Oaks by Emma Bull, which is fantasy.

BD and SNCM, when we take vacation pictures, they are always people free if at all possible, except for a few that are specifically people. Sometimes it is a real pain, waiting for a picture as one person finally walks out of view as another just walks in.

By the way, what is WWHALD?

Keith
What Would Hugo and Lefty Do? One of those things you pick up after being inundated by the llounge for a while. Zelda has been ill, so she's not responding as much as she would regularly do. Be patient and she'll give you the lowdown on Hugo and Lefty.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Hello, Keith. Arf! Arf, arf!! (Does that answer your question?)
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #15
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist

Have you looked at the list of Similar Threads at the bottom of the page? We have a thing for avatars, dedicating time and thought to creating very special avatars for people who need them.

Dreamer