Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-27-2008, 01:26 AM   #1
orlincho
Enthusiast
orlincho began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3(brick)/NOOK/NOKIA E52
Page numbers, AGAIN

A week ago I've changed my mobile to a smart one (symbian) and installed a MobiReader on it just in case.

What a surprise when I see page numbers in PRC files. Numbers reflow as expected when changing font size.

Now do you see any obstacles for having such feature in cybook. Especially when they use "mobi" source code for their reader.

See attached screen captures from the phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image000001.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	14693   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000003.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	14694   Click image for larger version

Name:	image000004.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	14695  
orlincho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This really shouldn't surprise you. All versions of the Mobi reader except the Gen3 display page numbers.

The problem is, they are useless for finding your place in a book. Try this little experiment:

1. Go to the start of the book.
2. Page forward a page at a time until you get to a recognisable page in the book (eg the start of a chapter). Make a note of the displayed page number.
3. Go back to the start of the book, do a "Goto Page" and enter the page number you noted.

Are you at the same place in the book that you were before? I think you'll find that you aren't! Jumping to a page number in a Mobi book takes you to a wildly different location from paging through it a page at a time, and therefore cannot be used to note pages that you'd like to return to. This inaccuracy of page numbers makes that effectively useless (IMHO) and I entirely understand why Bookeen made the decision not to display them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The problem is, they are useless for finding your place in a book.
They are indeed, which is why the Cybook not having them (while my other devices do) doesn't bother me in the least.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
And of course there is this other 'little' problem even if page numbers themselves were acurate You make a note of an important part of your book. You remember it was on page 246. You go on reading and after a while you find it is a bit to dark and you increase the font size or change the font type (I do that all the time) When you want to go back to the 246 you'll end up in a totally different part of the book.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
And of course there is this other 'little' problem even if page numbers themselves were acurate You make a note of an important part of your book. You remember it was on page 246. You go on reading and after a while you find it is a bit to dark and you increase the font size or change the font type (I do that all the time) When you want to go back to the 246 you'll end up in a totally different part of the book.
Yes, if you change fonts mid-read, it'd be no better or worse than what we have now.

But, if you don't change fonts while reading a book (I never do), it would be an improvement over what we have now.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
But, if you don't change fonts while reading a book (I never do), it would be an improvement over what we have now.
They would be -- if they worked. Which they don't in Mobipocket Reader on any platform that I have used it on. Since they don't, I'm fine with the progress bar alone.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
They would be -- if they worked. Which they don't in Mobipocket Reader on any platform that I have used it on. Since they don't, I'm fine with the progress bar alone.
Why is the progress bar working do you think? When reading short stories in html format (or prc) it is not accurate at all.

FBReader has working page number.

Also what is needed most is not page number for accurate referencing but some measurement that can be used to accuately indicate how much of the total lengt of the work you have read,
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why is the progress bar working do you think? When reading short stories in html format (or prc) it is not accurate at all.

Also what is needed most is not page number for accurate referencing but some measurement that can be used to accuately indicate how much of the total lengt of the work you have read,
Except I'm pretty sure FBReader's page numbe refers to a specific amount of text, not however much is on screen.

A lot of its behavior is based on its arbitrary page size, and I've found that very annoying.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Except I'm pretty sure FBReader's page numbe refers to a specific amount of text, not however much is on screen.

A lot of its behavior is based on its arbitrary page size, and I've found that very annoying.
Yes and that is why it is working. Maybe we shoud call it "progress number" and not "page number" to avoid confusion.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post

Oh, I'm not arguing that a working "page" number system wouldn't be useful, but that the one in the current Mobipocket Readers is not any better than the rough estimate provided by the progress bar. At least with the progress bar, there isn't the illusion of specificity that the broken page numbers provide.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:21 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps the "answer" is to do what the Kindle does, which is to display a "number" which isn't related to "pages", but simply to a position in the file. IIRC, the Kindle numbers in units of 128 bytes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:45 AM   #12
KLausPetersen
Connoisseur
KLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enoughKLausPetersen will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook
If Pagenumbers don't work, why does it have to be a progress "bar".
You can't go to the exact location in a text with just a bar without searching quite a bit.

Why can't it be a percentage number instead ?
e.g. 23,57 %

The device could just count all the letters of a text and then calculate the percentage for the first letter of a page.
Then the font size wouldn't matter very much with this method.

If rounded to 2 digits after the decimal point you could exactly differ between 10.000 pages. Even if you are using a very large font size you would be only a few pages of mark.
KLausPetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
To give a bit more information, it could say something like:

23,57% of ~357 pp.

Where the percentage is calculated byte-wise or character-wise, or whatever. And the total number of pages is calculated according to the amount of text shown in the current page (so, it would change even with every page turn).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:39 AM   #14
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLausPetersen View Post

Why can't it be a percentage number instead ?
e.g. 23,57 %
I totally agree, it was something I proposed a while ago. But most people who want page numbers seem to think that it is not good enough.

I can imagine that you cannot simply count the number of bytes divided by something for positioning in the file. That will give you a problem when there are pictures in the book. It will give you things like 1..2..3..10234..10235. Of course you can program around it, but I rather have that the concentrate on searching in the library, a one button bookmark and programmable buttons so I can assign buttons to the funtion that I like.

I couln'd care less about pagenumbers, I never use them, the bar is good for me.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Look, you bought a device that has a reader on it that is known to have issues with page numbers. Get over it. The chances of Mobipocket fixing page numbers in your Gen3's lifetime is not going to happen.

If page numbers really mean that much to you, then go get a Sony Reader.

JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote