Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #316
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
heh....yeah, i realised afterwards it was probably davidfor...sorry
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #317
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm going way out on a limb here, like usual, but perhaps if something is touching the screen(Clarification for the terminally pickyune: not necessarily touching, but interrupting the IR beams like a touch would) while the reader has yet to fully power off, the Neonode IR hardware is left powered up because it is detecting an interruption of the beams while the processor shuts down? I'm not sure if the Neonode chip is controlling the IR emitters directly? This might explain why units seem to sleep, but lose power while appearing to be powered down.

It'd be very interesting if someone with an IR sensitive camcorder filmed their Kobo experiencing the problem when shutting it down in a fairly dark room to confirm that the IR shuts down even if there is something in contact with, or near enough to break the IR beams, the screen during power down...

Like I said, way out on a limb. Just a crazy-assed guess, but it might explain some of what has been observed.

Last edited by TechniSol; 03-24-2013 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Clarification for the clinically pickyune...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #318
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
IR touch used by Kobo does not need finger to touch screen only close enough to screen that touch gesture is detected. Pressure of touch doesn't register on Kobo screens.

Search for Neonode IR

http://ntuzhchen.blogspot.com/2011/0...de-zforce.html
I assume Kobo touch screens lack available multi touch firmware.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #319
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
IR touch used by Kobo does not need finger to touch screen only close enough to screen that touch gesture is detected. Pressure of touch doesn't register on Kobo screens.

Search for Neonode IR

http://ntuzhchen.blogspot.com/2011/0...de-zforce.html
I assume Kobo touch screens lack available multi touch firmware.
I think it would be nice if people could send photos of their setups - pictures and thousand words ...
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #320
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeSee View Post
Just an additional point, the cover my wife uses is not a sleepcover, it doesn't have any magnets.
And I don't have a Glo, just a new Touch running the Glo firmware. So I don't have the sensor but I do have the same power issue.
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #321
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
And I don't have a Glo, just a new Touch running the Glo firmware. So I don't have the sensor but I do have the same power issue.
Ok - I've missed something. When you say you have a Touch with the Glo firmware, do you mean that this is an installation you have tried yourself?
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #322
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Ok - I've missed something. When you say you have a Touch with the Glo firmware, do you mean that this is an installation you have tried yourself?
I think he means he has a "newer" Touch which uses the Glo firmware as opposed to an "older" Touch (closer to when they first came out) that uses a slightly different firmware designed specifically for the Touch. The difference normally only matters if you are manually installing the firmware since putting the wrong firmware can brick the Touch.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #323
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I think he means he has a "newer" Touch which uses the Glo firmware as opposed to an "older" Touch (closer to when they first came out) that uses a slightly different firmware designed specifically for the Touch.
Correct. I returned the first Touch* (I'll call it Mk.1) when it started to eat it's battery but only under certain conditions (you can read about that here if you feel so inclined).

I've since had two of the newer version Touches (Mk.2) whose power characteristics consistently match misbehaving Glo's. Hence my interest in the power threads and my suspicions around the firmware rather than the hardware.

*With hindsight, the Mk.1 was the better machine
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #324
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Oh no! SeeSee beat me to it! If only I hadn't gone away for a couple of days

Quote:
Hi Folks, I think the issue occurs when something touches the screen on a sleeping [device]…
This is exactly what's happening. Remember my crap 3 day battery life? Well, I've been sleeping my Glo outside of its sleeve since Wednesday and reading more than 5 hours a day (it is now Sunday) and the battery is at 84%.

(VelvetElvis, that's why I asked to know about the case you were using.)

Quote:
Indeed, I'd go a bit further and suggest sleeping them with the screen upwards to test.
Yep that's what I've been doing.

Quote:
If I read SeeSee's comment properly, there also semmed to be a difference with the sleepcover setting on or off - is that right?
No, I've tested both settings before. Battery drain in sleep mode is not influenced by the sleep cover setting. Nor with magnets in covers either. I have a Kindle sleeve without any magnets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'm going way out on a limb here, like usual, but perhaps if something is touching the screen(Clarification for the terminally pickyune: not necessarily touching, but interrupting the IR beams like a touch would) while the reader has yet to fully power off, the Neonode IR hardware is left powered up because it is detecting an interruption of the beams while the processor shuts down? I'm not sure if the Neonode chip is controlling the IR emitters directly? This might explain why units seem to sleep, but lose power while appearing to be powered down.

Huh ingesting thought. I think it strange that the IR beams would be left on and listening for interruption during sleep mode. So perhaps you're right: IR breams switch off in sleep mode, but if they're interrupted before sleep mode is fully functional stuff gets messed up. If so, it would mean the battery would work fine even in the cases that touch the screens, as long as you wait a bit before closing the case or putting the device in its sleeve to be sure it's really sleeping...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #325
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Welcome back Mrs_Often!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #326
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Waves

You have been reading! 5 hours a day! On your glo!

THUD
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #327
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Welcome back Mrs_Often!
Thank you! We had a wonderful time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
Waves

You have been reading! 5 hours a day! On your glo!

THUD
Haha I have! Yay! And perhaps even more hours. I don't actually know
Old 03-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #328
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Hi Folks, I think the issue occurs when something touches the screen on a sleeping Glo…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
This is exactly what's happening.
I have sent Kobo (Sameer and Matt) an email with our discovery. Sameer replied today (his Sunday morning), happy with the info. They'll now be trying to replicate the battery drain.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #329
SeeSee
SeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I have sent Kobo (Sameer and Matt) an email with our discovery. Sameer replied today (his Sunday morning), happy with the info. They'll now be trying to replicate the battery drain.
Great news! Looking forward to a fix for this one...
SeeSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #330
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
"Huh ingesting thought."

Hey! Spit that thought out right now, it's MINE!

Well, It'd be nice if a theory actually came close to fitting the data... Hey, stop laughing, it could happen...

Last edited by TechniSol; 03-25-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Assorted silliness
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote