Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
V-Reader

Let's hear it. What do you guys think about it? I was thinking of getting it for my 3.4 year old. She is always wanting to use my digital reader but, I don't have anything on it for her so, thought this would be a good route.

Pluses - minuses.. Any better ideas?

This isn't news - I put it in the wrong forum. Sorry

Last edited by Guiltyr1; 10-14-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
At first I thought that it looked like a great toy for a small child. And the price is more than cheap enough. See review here.

Details are here.

My biggest concern is the price of, and the limited number of, the book/game cartridges ($20 each).

Best to see if Calibre will work with it.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
My biggest concern is the price of, and the limited number of, the book/game cartridges ($20 each).
So true, and that will be its downfall. Cartridges should be priced around $7.99 each.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just another form of DRM, I guess.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Check out the V-Reader site, they have a list of free ebooks for it. I imagine they are not interactive like the purchased ones, but still it might be enough.

For those interested I contacted the Australian distributor, it will be released March/April under the name Storio. I'm considering given our strong aussie dollar do I buy one from the US right now.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Check out the V-Reader site, they have a list of free ebooks for it.
Too bad you can't view the list.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Check out the V-Reader site, they have a list of free ebooks for it. I imagine they are not interactive like the purchased ones, but still it might be enough.
Are you able to actually download books to the device?. If yes, then I would say to buy 2 or 3 so that you would have replacements. The price would be very small if that were the case.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
worsel60
worsel60 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I bought one for Christmas for my 3 year old grandaughter and set it up yesterday. She's going to love it. It seems very sturdy and does everything it says it does.

It took about a half an hour to download and setup the PC software and register myself as the "parent" of Lillys vreader. Once you do that, you hook up by USB and can download books to your backpack ( one of the icons on the device and requiring an SD card ) . You get to choose 6 free books out of maybe 10. They are not as good as books on cartridge, no animation and fewer extras, but with pictures and just as long. There are also some $7.49 downloads that may be as good as a cartridge book. I haven't tried one.

I put a 4G SDHC card in the reader (not included). The free books are about 10M each. It takes 4 AA batteries. We'll see how long they last. I'll probably buy her some rechargeables and maybe the AC adapter and backpack carrying case before Christmas.

So far, I'm as impressed with the value as I was when I got my first Kindle. One of the games on each cartridge is actually a reading comprehension test. Cool. The downloads are staged on the PC. I'm assuming if she broke the unit I could transfer them to a new one.
worsel60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
tczeke
tczeke began at the beginning.

Device: v.reader
Where can I find the free books?
tczeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
I believe once you plug it in, you install the "navigator" - then you can upload 6 books. My daughter still uses her reader.. Will probably get another book or 2 this Christmas.

I don't like that they are so expensive though..
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote