Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I want to buy your ebooks, but....

Congratulations, you're an author. A billion people can see your ebook on Amazon. Great.

How about giving me, and a few others without a Kindle a chance to buy your books.

So far I haven't downloaded any books from Amazon, but I'm told that if an ebook is listed as "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" that it isn't DRMed and can therefore be converted to a format that I can read.

You do have the right to have your books DRMed, and I have a right to not buy them in a format that I can't use.

Your choice.

UPDATE
B.Tackitt in post #21 has better information on "unlimited simultaneous usage" than I had.

UPDATE 2
"Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" may, or may not be DRMed. Sadly there is, as of now, no way to tell if a Kindle book has DRM on it or not by looking at the web page.

Last edited by SameOldStory; 07-24-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Corrected info thanks to B.Tackitt.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
How about giving me, and a few others without a Kindle a chance to buy your books.
SameOldStory, I don't disagree with what you say, or the spirit in which you say it.

But, just for the sake of accuracy, you can buy the books, and read them, without owning a Kindle. There are several Kindle applications - all of them free - that will let you read Kindle DRM books on various devices.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Most of us who own ebook readers bought them because we wanted to read ebooks without being tethered to our computers.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Well, gosh, no such limitations on Boomerang. And like a lot of independent authors, my work is represented in multiple places. Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, Kobo, Sony, Apple. And it's non-DRM.
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
SameOldStory, I don't disagree with what you say, or the spirit in which you say it.

But, just for the sake of accuracy, you can buy the books, and read them, without owning a Kindle. There are several Kindle applications - all of them free - that will let you read Kindle DRM books on various devices.
As Worldwalker says a large number of us bought an ereader to read books whenever and wherever we want. I like to read during lunch break. Should I have to bring a laptop in to the restaurant with me?

As I looked through the ebooks offered I see some that are Kindle DRM only. That limits the number of people that will buy it for their reader.

So let me put my spirit, as succinctly as possible, into words. - It seems stupid, to me, to restrict the number of people who will buy your book.

JK Rowling's rejection of ebooks has not stopped her books from getting on the internet. That's her choice. There are many writers that feel the same way as she.

I just bought a DRMed book that I probably could have downloaded illegally (I had to hold my nose to do it, but I really did want it). Had the book ONLY been on Amazon as a DRM file I might have gone to the dark side.

Boomerang (a very good book, that is being sold at a great bargain I might add) is on Amazon and is listed as - "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited". I buy more books on Smashwords because I don't have to worry about it. I wish Amazon would let us search for non-DRM books. I might buy more from them then.

I'm not going to buy a Kindle just to read some books on Amazon. I'm not going to carry a laptop around just to read Kindle books. The same holds true for B&N.

If authors want to restrict the sale of their ebooks, go ahead. There are a lot of other good books to read.
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I agree with the original post. Risen is on Amazon, DRM-free, which makes it convertible to non-Kindle formats. And it's available on Smashwords and Barnes&Noble, DRM-free. It's supposed to appear on Kobobooks and Sony and Apple's iBooks, eventually. Any limitations on format, any added DRM, do not come from me!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:27 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You might find that any delay in Smashwords getting *Risen* into Kobo, Sony and Apple stores might be down to an ISBN hitch, Jan. Might be an idea to check with Mark Coker. Best Neil
Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
As Worldwalker says a large number of us bought an ereader to read books whenever and wherever we want. I like to read during lunch break. Should I have to bring a laptop in to the restaurant with me?
Although that is perfectly true, it is not, with respect, what your original complaint was. You said that you couldn't buy the book at all, and that's simply not true. Amazon's Kindle reading application is being made available for an increasingly wide range of platforms; you can use it not only on a PC, but also on any Android mobile phone, Apple iPad or iPhone, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:24 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
If the download is to a kindle app running on a PC, does that then offer an opportunity to transfer to another reading device (excepting drm issues of course).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:26 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes; where local laws permit it, Kindle books bought for "Kindle for PC" can be "liberated" and transferred to other devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:37 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Thanks ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Although that is perfectly true, it is not, with respect, what your original complaint was. You said that you couldn't buy the book at all, and that's simply not true. Amazon's Kindle reading application is being made available for an increasingly wide range of platforms; you can use it not only on a PC, but also on any Android mobile phone, Apple iPad or iPhone, etc.
And for those of us whose phones just phone?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Ok, Harry, I should have spelled it out so that there could be no confusion.

I have a plain old phone, and I have no desire for all the extras (and bills) of the iPhoine, etc.

I started reading ebooks on a computer, and have no intention to read ebooks on a computer again.

I am pretty much satisfied with my reader, and don't want a Kindle.

I have a large selection of ebooks to choose from. Why should I have to learn how to crack open a DRMed Kindle ebook?

I did, recently, buy a DRMed book (Under the Eagle) that went right on to my reader. No DRM removal required.

I honestly believe that by having a DRMed book that is really just for the Kindle or Kindle apps will reduce the number of people who will buy that book. Does it cost the author more to have it non-DRMed?

I think that there are others of the same opinion on MR.

Quote:
Although that is perfectly true, it is not, with respect, what your original complaint was. You said that you couldn't buy the book at all, and that's simply not true.
Not quite -
"How about giving me, and a few others without a Kindle a chance to buy your books."

Let me change that to -
"How about giving me, and a few others without a Kindle a chance to buy your books without the restrictions that Kindle DRM would impose upon us."

Harry, I think that you may be too busy and didn't understand my intent.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
This is why, despite my love of eInk readers, I plan to leave the eInk world and buy an EXOPC in Sept. iRex Left us MobiPocket readers in the dust when they moved to epub. I didn't upgrade my reader. I know they are in chapter 11 but they certainly would have stayed with epub as they moved foreword. I would have lost my Mobipocket books.

I agree we are shut out from Kindle. Sure there are Kindle PC and iPad versions but we are not a forum for phone devices, etc. This group is all about eInk readers with some exceptions. Even with Mobipocket that is owned by Amazon I cannot put a Kindle book on my reader that supports Mobipocket. For my money we are shut out of Kindle books. That is criminal.

With the Slate I can have Mobipocket and epub live on the device. If I want to purchase a digital magazine or Newspaper that happens to have their own proprietary format I know I will be able to install it to my Slate. Amazon is helping kill these readers so we all move to Slates. I don't get it!!
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I also would like to add that ebooks were considered loss leaders which is why the readers themselves were so expensive. They had to quickly get the upfront costs from selling the readers. Now with books costing what they presumably are worth we should start to see the cost of readers come down. The model is changing to the razor or Polaroid camera model. Give away the device and make money on the materials. In this case the material is the eBook.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote