Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Tor Freebies (no series!)

www.tor.com are giving away two more ebooks to people who join their (rather good IMHO) sf & fantasy blogging site. They are:

The War of the Oaks by Emma Bull, and
Dogland by Will Shetterly.

Critics of Tor will be pleased to hear that neither is first in a series, and the first is actually out of print. Don't know about Dogland, but I thoroughly enjoyed The War of the Oaks when it came out, and so was really pleased to see it as an ebook.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks - downloaded them.

Free stuff..... is anything better than free stuff?
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I had previously read Dogland as a Mobi file available here at MobileRead (thanks to Madam Broshkina).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Actually, Dogland is the first in a series of (at least) two books. Second is The Gospel of the Knife.

But both books are available for free download here at MobileRead, so it's really not a problem.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerTez View Post
Thanks - downloaded them.

Free stuff..... is anything better than free stuff?
Stuff people pay you to read?
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm getting a database error for War of the Oaks. I've been wanting to read this as an ebook for a while now, so I'm happy Tor has put it up. Now, if I can just download it.

Carl

Edit: Momentary glitch, it's working now.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suspect that everybody is hitting up the site as word of the freebies spreads.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
www.tor.com are giving away two more ebooks to people who join their (rather good IMHO) sf & fantasy blogging site. They are:

The War of the Oaks by Emma Bull, and
Dogland by Will Shetterly.

Critics of Tor will be pleased to hear that neither is first in a series, and the first is actually out of print. Don't know about Dogland, but I thoroughly enjoyed The War of the Oaks when it came out, and so was really pleased to see it as an ebook.
I am delighted. _War for the Oaks_ is a minor classic I have loved since it was released. I told Emma at a con I had to love a book that began with a band at a club playing a Richard Thompson tune, and we digressed into an hour long discussion of obscure bands we loved. I think I made it clear I loved the book, too. (Emma is musician as well as writer, and formely part of a band called Cats Laughing that included Steven Brust on drums.)

And _Dogtown_ has been a hard to find item for years, and is equally worth the read.

These are just wonderful. Sign up at Tor.com and grab them. If you like urban fantasy, you'll love them. If you don't like urban fantasy, they may just change your mind.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I told Emma at a con I had to love a book that began with a band at a club playing a Richard Thompson tune
Absolutely!
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Absolutely!
It was even sweeter that the band was Boiled In Lead, a Minneapolis based Celtic rock band I've seen live. I didn't see them do a Richard Thompson tune, but I was certain they'd do it splendidly.

(A defunct music magazine called Pulse! used to run a column called "Desert Island Discs". The premise was that you were marooned on a desert island, and could have a record player and ten albums. Which ten? I'd have a hard time not picking ten of Richard's, since there is other worthwhile music... )
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:25 AM   #11
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

War for the Oaks was one of the titles I remember being at the top of my Alexlit list that I never got around to reading.

I miss Alexlit. Hope it comes back someday.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Dogland finally made it to the top of my reading pile and I really enjoyed it, but I'm having some trouble figuring out who everybody is. I was hoping to swap ideas with people here...

This can be considered spoiler-ish I suppose, so don't go further if you care about that.

I think:

Artie Drake = King Arthur
Maggie DeLyons = descendant of Ponce de Leon
Nick Lumiere = Lucifer
3 "circus" visitors = Norse gods
Johnny Tepes = Launcelot?

But I can't figure out wh0 many of the characters represent, eg:

-Joe and Mary with the three-legged dog, and whose son has left
-Ethorne Hawkins who is possibly very long-lived
-the three children Chris, Little Bit and Digger who were born under strange circumstances and might be special (drunk man claims to be Chris' father at the hospital, birds present at Little Bit's birth and she talks to animals and God, Digger was born at Mardi Gras accompanied by a green woman and satyr)
- Gideon the ex-drunk, evangelist
- the French and British tourist visitors to Dogland

Any ideas out there?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Well... Joe and Mary are
Spoiler:
from the middle east, and have been around for two thousand years or so. Lots of folks think that their son was very very important...
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #14
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Well... Joe and Mary are
I considered that but thought it would be too obvious

And the dog threw me too.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Quote:
And the dog threw me too.
The dog does have three legs.
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote