Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
ddaedalus
ddaedalus began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
HTML file to MOBI Cover Problem

Hi Kovid,

I've just downloaded calibre 0.7.43. I happily, I found it resolve an issue of 0.7.42, which was the selected cover image appeared differently in the calibre viewer. I was converting an HTML file to MOBI.
With 0.7.43 a new issue has arisen with this conversion: no images are being converted! Any suggestions?

Thanks,
ddaedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
ddaedalus

Actually, scratch that fix. 0.7.43 is still swapping the images for the cover image. I managed to reconnect the missing images in the HTML doc with dreamweaver, saved the file, put it in Calibre and now have the wrong, irreparable cover image.

Suggestions?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaedalus View Post
Actually, scratch that fix. 0.7.43 is still swapping the images for the cover image. I managed to reconnect the missing images in the HTML doc with dreamweaver, saved the file, put it in Calibre and now have the wrong, irreparable cover image.
The covers, to my knowledge, only get updated on exports from the database (save to disk or send to device) or on conversions, the book formats inside the database remain largely untouched. If you haven't run a conversion or exported the file from the database, that would be expected behaviour, I believe.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
ddaedalus

I saved to disk, removed the problematic file from my calibre library, then dropped the saved MOBI file into Calibre. Still, a random image has been selected for the cover.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaedalus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
The covers, to my knowledge, only get updated on exports from the database (save to disk or send to device) or on conversions, the book formats inside the database remain largely untouched. If you haven't run a conversion or exported the file from the database, that would be expected behaviour, I believe.
I saved to disk, removed the problematic file from my calibre library, then dropped the saved MOBI file into Calibre. Still, a random image has been selected for the cover.
While epub books often will have the cover correctly replaced when exporting from the calibre database covers for mobi books require a conversion to insert the cover into the mobi book.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
ddaedalus

Here's my latest endeavor, and subsequent failures.
1. Edited EPUB in Sigil, added the EPUB to Calbre, then converted to MOBI: failure.

2. Converted failed MOBI back to EPUB, edited titlepage.XHTML in SIgil, then sent back to Calibre, removed the old version and added the new verion, converted to MOBI.

RE: dwanthy
What conversion software would you recommend for a Mac user?

Thanks,
Old 02-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
ddaedalus

Ok. I got it. I converted the EPUB to a MOBI using calibre. It failed to fix the cover image. Then, I converted the MOBI to MOBI, again in Calibre. That worked. Thanks.