Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
alslush
alslush began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
No book summary on my Calibre-imported Nook documents

I haven't seen this issue addressed in these forums. I hope someone can help me. I'm using Calibre to load epubs onto the storage card on my Nook. I've taken a great deal of trouble to make sure the metadata is correct, because I want to be able to look at the summary of a book on my Nook prior to choosing one to read. Unless I'm missing something, on my Nook, I would find a book, then choose: "Item Detail and Options." The only thing information I see there is the title, publisher, publisher date, author. I'm not seeing the summary that was displayed in the metadata in Calibre.

I don't know if this is a Calibre problem, a Nook problem, or ignorance on my part. If you think I should post this in the Calibre Forum, please let me know.
alslush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
If you load the book into the Nook into the My Documents area - just with a regular transfer using Calibre (not transferring it to the card), does the metadata come thru OK? It would be good to know if this is a card issue. I have never tried using a separate card with my Nook, but perhaps this is causing a problem?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
This is a fundamental problem (likely intentional) with the nook's firmware. The book description only shows up for the B&N library books (bought directly from the nook and downloaded over the air into "My B&N library").

The "My documents" library does NOT have the ability to read most of the metadata that you and I worked so hard to put into our books. Blame B&N for crippling My docs since day 1 and only grudgingly adding a few features (like search and author sort) after their customers raised hell on the B&N forum for a year. Even books bought from B&N and sideloaded into My Documents will not show the description. It's a transparent tactic to nudge people into buying directly on the nook.

If you really want it, I think the only solution is soft-rooting and using Trook or something like that. (I have not done that so please wait for advice from someone else before doing anything!)

Edit: from what RAH wrote, I have a faint hope that perhaps I'm wrong. So, if anyone really has seen a book description show up in "item details" for any book (irrespective of source, history or Calibre/non-Calibre) in "My Documents", I implore you to post here

Last edited by thrawn_aj; 01-25-2011 at 05:17 PM.
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrawn_aj View Post
Edit: from what RAH wrote, I have a faint hope that perhaps I'm wrong. So, if anyone really has seen a book description show up in "item details" for any book (irrespective of source, history or Calibre/non-Calibre) in "My Documents", I implore you to post here
Don't take anything from what I wrote. I was just speculating that perhaps it made a difference if you loaded to the card versus loading to the internal Nook memory, and thought that the OP should try it both ways to see if it made a difference.

I agree with you that it would be very helpful if someone has seen the full metadata come thru on a sideloaded book of any type.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
alslush
alslush began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I used Calibre to export the books to the card, not the Nook's hard drive. I've looked at some of the instructions for rooting the Nook, but they look kind of forbidding....is Trook an automated program? And do you know if that would solve the problem of not being able to see the book summaries? If anyone's seen that, please let us know.
alslush is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, item details and options, nook