Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 04-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Dickens, Charles: Great Expectations (Illustrated). v9. 17th Oct 2009

"Great Expectations" opens unforgettably in a twilit and overgrown churchyard on the eerie Kent marshes. There, the orphan Pip is disturbed to meet an escaped convict, Magwitch, but gives him food, in an encounter that is to haunt both their lives. How Pip receives riches from a mysterious benefactor, snobbishly abandons his friends for London society and "great expectations", and grows through misfortune and suffering to maturity is the theme of one of Dicken's best-loved novels.

In "Great Expectations", Dickens blends gripping drama with penetrating satire to give a compelling story rich in comedy and pathos: he has also created two of his finest, most haunting characters in Pip and Miss Havisham.

On a personal note I must add that this is one of my favourite of Dickens' novels and, indeed, one of my "all time" favourite books.

With the original black and white illustrations by Charles Green.

NB: I now regard this as a "finished" eBook. If you find any errors, please let me know, either by posting to this thread, or by sending a PM to "Harry T".

Enjoy!

EDIT: 18 Nov 07.

Improved formatting. Added a cover picture. Uploaded v2.

EDIT: 27 Dec 07

Added the original illustrations by Charles Green. Converted capitals to italics as appropriate to match the printed version. Added the original ending as an appendix to the book. Uploaded v3.

EDIT: 22 Jan 08

Thoroughly proof-read against a printed version; many minor errors corrected. Added a list of characters. Uploaded v4.

EDIT: 23 Jan 08

I suppose it was inevitable that after saying it had been "thoroughly" proof-read that I should immediately spot four additional errors (two instances of missing commas, hyphens used in place of dashes, "again" spelled as "a gain". Now fixed. Uploaded v5. Hopefully this one will last a little longer than the last version!

EDIT: 18 Feb 08

Corrected about a dozen minor errors, largely found by MR user "dynabook" (for which many thanks!). Uploaded v6.

EDIT: 17 Mar 08

Had to recreate the book due to paragraph end problems. I've re-applied most of the corrections found in earlier releases, but it's possible that I've missed a few. I need to re-proof-read the book. I didn't like having to re-create it from scratch but unfortunately it was only practical way to sort out the problems. Uploaded v7.

EDIT: 6 Apr 08

MR user "Jellby" has done an absolutely wonderful job of proofing the book against a scanned 1st edition that's available online at Stanford University, and has found several errors, and literally dozens of words which should have been either capitalised or in italics, and weren't. (The PG text I originally used to create the book had no italics marked). I've applied all these changes, and the book is now hugely better as a result. Many, many thanks to Jellby for doing this! Uploaded v8.

EDIT: 17 Oct 09

Replaced the cover for consistency with the rest of the MR Dickens series. Tidied up the HTML source of the book to remove some minor errors - this has no visible effect for the reader. Uploaded v9.

Previous downloads: 1106
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Great Expectations.lrf (1.92 MB, 1236 views)

Last edited by HarryT; 10-17-2009 at 12:39 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I agree - this book is fantastic!

I very very very rarely re-read a book, but my favorite Dickens books, like this one, deserve a second reading. Besides, my memory is so bad that it will seem just like the first time all over again! ;-)

Thanks Harry!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2007, 03:15 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree with you. Many critics consider "Great Expectations" to be Dickens' finest book, although my favourite, from the point of view of a "good read", is "Bleak House".
"Great Expectations", though, I'd probably put in second place.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:35 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Dickens's work is invaluable to me...

..and I'm so glad you're working on his books.

I'm a huge fan of a somewhat misunderstood novel by Dickens - "The Old Curiosity Shop" - a book I've read 3 times. I anxiously await that one, as you continue to work through his volumes.

At one time, when I was working on my Ph.D in Literature, [not completed], I considered working on Victorian literature and was thinking of concentrating on Dickens. I also own about 20 hardbacks of literary criticism on Dickens.

Wilkie Collins, whom I also enjoy, is like the Stephen King of shock fiction. I mean this in a positive sense. (I thoroughly enjoy both King and Collins.)

Thanks again,
Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-27-2007 at 03:38 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Improved formatting. Added a cover picture. Uploaded v2.
Advert
Old 11-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I'm about halfway through reading this. It's a great book so far, and I wish I hadn't put off reading it for so long.
The only Dickens I had read previously were A Tale of Two Cities, Oliver Twist and,of course, A Christmas Carol.
Thanks for posting it.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thoroughly proof-read against a printed version; many minor errors corrected. Added a list of characters. Uploaded v4. I'm finally happy with this version; I think it's as close to the "perfect eBook" as I've been able to create so far.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:21 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I suppose it was inevitable that after saying it had been "thoroughly" proof-read that I should immediately spot four additional errors (two instances of missing commas, hyphens used in place of dashes, "again" spelled as "a gain". Now fixed. Uploaded v5. Hopefully this one will last a little longer than the last version!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Corrected about a dozen minor errors, largely found by MR user "dynabook" (for which many thanks!). Uploaded v6.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Had to recreate the book due to paragraph end problems. I've re-applied most of the corrections found in earlier releases, but it's possible that I've missed a few. I need to re-proof-read the book. I didn't like having to re-create it from scratch but unfortunately it was only practical way to sort out the problems. Uploaded v7.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:06 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

MR user "Jellby" has done an absolutely wonderful job of proofing the book against a scanned 1st edition that's available online at Stanford University, and has found several errors, and literally dozens of words which should have been either capitalised or in italics, and weren't. (The PG text I originally used to create the book had no italics marked). I've applied all these changes, and the book is now hugely better as a result. Many, many thanks to Jellby for doing this! Uploaded v8.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Replaced the cover for consistency with the rest of the MR Dickens series. Tidied up the HTML source of the book to remove some minor errors - this has no visible effect for the reader. Uploaded v9.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thanks for all the hard work. I'm giving away my in-public-domain pbooks as part of my house move. It's much nicer reading on my ereader anyway. Your Dickens are works of art in the formatting.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote