Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
beeblebrox
beeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2, Onyx i62HD Firefly
Found sqlite annotations database in Kindle for Android

This afternoon I have tried to figure out where recent versions of Kindle for Addroid stores annotations for .mobi got from somewhere else than Amazon.

From this forum I learned that the bookmarks/annotations used to be saved in .mbp files. However Amazon decided to encrypt the file so .mbp became .embp.

For my Kindle for Android app I cannot find neither .mbp nor .embp.
There is no file that seems to contains annotation neither in /sdcard/kindle nor /sdcard/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files.

However there is a file in protected folder:

/data/data/com.amazon.kindle/databases/annotations.db

(You must gain root to access the file.) The file is a plain SQLite database. Annotation table contains the following columns:
BOOKID - the part of the string is ASIN
TYPE - 0 stands for a bookmark, 2 is an annotation
START_POS, END_POS are integers that seems to define an annotation"position" range. The screenshot of SQLite viewer showing content of the file is attached.

I don't know how to relate the position to the contents of the .mobi file.
Possibly it is similar to .mbp format, which specification I cannot find. My Perl is too rusty to analyze sources of mbp reader script (http://www.angelfire.com/ego2/idleloop/mbp_reader.html)... so I decided to ask for giving me a hand.

The aim of exercise is to retrieve annotations from ebooks called by Amazon "personal" - ones purchased in other bookstores or got from public domain cloud.

As we know there is no highlights from "personal" documents at https://kindle.amazon.com/your_highlights. I think it is okay, as this is a convenience feature that Amazon is not obliged to support for books purchased from other vendors.

What I don't quite understand why Amazon decided to encrypt annotations for non-encrypted ebooks. Finally annotations storage completely disappeared from user accessible folders in case of Kindle for Android app, which includes Kindle Fire as far I know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	annotation.db.png
Views:	436
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	111039  

Last edited by beeblebrox; 09-14-2013 at 05:37 PM.
beeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I think you are in the wrong forum.

This forum is for development of software for the e-ink screen Kindle devices, not for any of the "Kindle for ..." programs.

Try the home page index of this site, you should be able to find a better forum to pose your questions about the book reader application.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
beeblebrox
beeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeeblebrox is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I think you are in the wrong forum.

This forum is for development of software for the e-ink screen Kindle devices, not for any of the "Kindle for ..." programs.
Well, basically, my question is how MBP annotation works for MOBI. MBP/MOBI was arround even before K1.

BTW: How Paperwhite stores annotations for "personal documents"? I preordered PW2 and look forward to have annotation synchronized between my Android tablet and Kindle w/o "for". It's quite easy with "Send to Kindle". The hard part is to get such annotations out of Amazon cloud.

Last edited by beeblebrox; 09-15-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeblebrox View Post
Well, basically, my question is how MBP annotation works for MOBI. MBP/MOBI was arround even before K1.

BTW: How Paperwhite stores annotations for "personal documents"? I preordered PW2 and look forward to have annotation synchronized between my Android tablet and Kindle w/o "for". It's quite easy with "Send to Kindle". The hard part is to get such annotations out of Amazon cloud.
This is the wrong forum.
Try:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=168
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
*moved*
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
*moved*
Thanks for moving.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
catdevrandom
catdevrandom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle for Android
Hello, beeblebrox,

I've been looking into this issue of extracting annotations from Personal Documents in the Kindle app in Android devices, and I'm interested in this information you got about the sqlite db.

In the mbp reader perl script you mention, it is possible to set a parameter that divides that location by 150, thus giving the Kindle location position (with an offset of 1). Can you try that with the number you got from the sqlite db? (My phone is not rooted, and I don't intend to do so, so I don't have access to that file here)

Just for the record, and slightly unrelated to your question, I found a way of getting the mbp file without encryption by downgrading the app to the version 3.6.0.87. I'm thinking about making a python wrapper script to the mbp reader perl script to try to convert the notes into a format that is compatible with the My Clippings.txt, so that it can be uploaded to those services such as ClippingsConverter. Let's see

Cheers!
catdevrandom is offline   Reply With Quote