Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
Francois Driesen
Francois Driesen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Calibre - Remove unnneeded formats

In my Calibre Library there are many different formats (mobi, PDF, Lit, etc) which I converted to Epub. Is there a way in Calibre to globally remove unneeded formats?

I thought I'd be able to do a search in Windows Explorer but that doesn't work with the Calibre Library.

TIA.
Francois Driesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please take the time to go over our site and post responsibly.

The General Discussion Forum is for "...discussions about e-book reading not specific to a device, software or format."

Your post has been moved out of the General Discussion Forum and moved into.....yes, the calibre forum.

Don
(moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Open Calibre, select the books you want to remove the formats from.

On the remove books button click on the right hand side and select Remove files of a specific format from selected books or Remove all Formats from selected books except.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Driesen View Post
In my Calibre Library there are many different formats (mobi, PDF, Lit, etc) which I converted to Epub. Is there a way in Calibre to globally remove unneeded formats?
Search for 'formats:epub and formats:#>1' (without the quotes of course).

This will find all books with more than 1 format of which one format is epub. Select them all -> rightclick -> Delete All Formats except... -> select epub.

Done.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:08 AM   #5
Francois Driesen

I entered the search info, selected them all but rightclicking does not offer the option "Delete all formats except ..." I use Calibre version 1.38.
Advert
Old 05-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #6
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Francois,
Just a suggestion. Before deleting the unwanted formats, make absolutely sure that your conversions are acceptable, word for word, paragraph for paragraph, chapter for chapter.

Sometimes the ebook source file is such a mess that calibre doesn't produce perfect results. I'm not trying to slight calibre, just recognizing that the GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) rule applies here. Unfortunately you might only notice less than perfect results after you have deleted the original ebook source. Leaving your only option to manually edit the ebook. That's a lot of work and it might introduce new errors.

If you have the HDD space, or lots of DVDs available, keep a copy of the entire library as it exists now - including the original, unwanted ebook formats. It never hurts to have a back-up.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Driesen View Post
I entered the search info, selected them all but rightclicking does not offer the option "Delete all formats except ..." I use Calibre version 1.38.
The option is actually called "Remove all formats from selected books, except..." and is under the submenu "Remove Books" (see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui.html#remove-books).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:32 AM   #8
Francois Driesen

I found it. Thanks mbovenka.