Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
NoNickName
NoNickName began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Formatting the built-in memory

I am a new member from Italy, and just bought my first reader: a Booken Cybook Opus. I already updated the firmware succesfully, and everything works as it should.
I installed and used Calibre succesfully for converting pdf's to epub, thanks to the hints of this great forum.
So far so good, until I tried to upload a pdf, I didn't realise it was in raster format (500 mbytes). Basicly a scanned version of the book itself.
The upload froze, and then I tried to disconnect the device. Unfortunately, the file got "appended" and "corrupt" as did my "Ebooks" folder on the device.
Opus was no longer able to access it, and hanged each time it was switched on. I solved, by accessing it through Windows Explorer and renaming it to a bogus name.
Now the device is working, but I lost the 500mbytes which were taken in the FAT for the pdf. The file is 0 bytes long, it can't be deleted, and 500mbytes are missing because of a corrupt FAT.
I tried to format the Opus, by copying the system, ebooks and digital editions folders off the device, and invoking format FAT32 in Windows Explorer. When I try to do that, the device automagically disconnects from the USB devices, like if it was protecting itself from being formatted.

Anyone knows if I'm doing it right, and if there's a way to circumvent this behaviour?
NoNickName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
NoNickName

Also chkdsk ends up disconnecting the device, and I can't repair the fat...
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread - I don't have an Opus and cannot help you with this one, but it looks like you've not been doing anything 'wrong' ....

Hopefully someone with more nous than me will be along to help .... good luck.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
It doesn´t help to say, it shouldn´t be doing that, now does it?
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
NoNickName

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
It doesn´t help to say, it shouldn´t be doing that, now does it?
Apart from the obvious?
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unless someone else can offer a suggestion, have you tried a firmware upgrade? Or contacted Bookeen?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Maybe with Linux and command line.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
NoNickName

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
have you tried a firmware upgrade?
Yes, no avail. FAT remains corrupted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Or contacted Bookeen?
I'll leave as the last chance.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
GeoffC

mmm

wonder if it can be booted from a USB drive ?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What can be booted ? Linux ?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
GeoffC

the OPUS, I don't have one but the info at Bookeen suggests the Opus has a USB port, and I'm just thinking way out of the box ......
Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bookeen have a "reflash" version of the firmware, which will install and completely repartition and reformat the internal memory. They'll send a link to it on request. That's what the original poster needs here, I think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
NoNickName

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Bookeen have a "reflash" version of the firmware, which will install and completely repartition and reformat the internal memory. They'll send a link to it on request. That's what the original poster needs here, I think.
Yes, anyone has got that link?
Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard

http://67.205.70.12/forums/showthread.php?p=507631
Seams that won't work with the opus.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNickName View Post
Yes, anyone has got that link?

You may have to go direct to Bookeen for it ....