Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #16
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Do people in the UK know that you can access the complete Oxford English Dictionary if your library subscribes?
I do. But I can't speak for the rest of the population.

Quote:
You might also want to see if your library subscribes to Freegal, which provides free weekly music downloads.
Personally I'm not interested in music downloads, but no doubt others will be.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
OMG, I think my life just changed!

While I don't like the idea of reading on special apps, I'd prefer pdf for magazines, I just checked and found out my library (Denver) offers mags via zinio checkout.

My next question is do I have to purchase the application for my windows pc or what's the deal, how does it work?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 AM   #18
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On second thought maybe not.... I had to create an account at my library and when I try to download it wants me to pay zinio. I also found the Zinio reader for PC and downloaded but it wants me to log in to my zinio account which apparently is separate from the library zinio account....

almost as confusing as Adobe Epubs.

ah wait.....nevermind....I think I got it. I had to create both a library zinio account and a zinio-zinio account....

I think it's working....

Last edited by kennyc; 10-09-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #19
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
I went to checkout a couple of my regular magazines from two public libraries that I belong to, to discover that there are now back issues available. Good, since I missed a week recently.

However both the search and categories seem to be broken, not to mention the categories changed so I had to page through until I found my magazines of choice.
Yes. Thank you. Looks like I have access to about 220 magazines or so, including back issues.

Woo-hoo!!

(now I gotta go try it on my android devices....)

Not unexpected, but no Zinio app for Kindle.....looks great on my Xoom though!

Yep, my life just changed. (the DPL selection even includes 'Science' mag!)

Last edited by kennyc; 10-09-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #20
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Not unexpected, but no Zinio app for Kindle.....looks great on my Xoom though!
I have the Zinio app on my Fire HD. I believe I got it from 1Mobile and it works fine.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
kennyc

I just checked the store, didn't want to go through the side-load-install thing..
Old 10-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Kenny,

I don't know if your public library works in the same way as mine. What I found was, first, that you have to download the Zinio app if you want to read the magazines on an Android or iOS device (and possibly others). The app itself is always free.

Once installed, you can purchase magazines from within the app.

However, to read the free magazine provided by the library, you have to first log into the library's site, and then go from there to the Zinio site, and you have to do that on a PC or Mac. At that point, you can subscribe to any of the free magazines. You then go back to the Zinio app to read them.

Also, as far as I can see, you have to repeat the procedure each time a new issue comes out.

You don't have to side-load anything. The magazines just appear in the app.

I'm not completely sure about any of this. The above works for me, but there might be an easier route that I don't know about. No doubt other folk here can tell you more than I can.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
kennyc

Thanks Mike, that is what I found basically. I installed the reader app on my PC, tablet and phone and once I check out a magazine it appears in my reading list and I can access it from any of my devices. (not sure if it keeps bookmarks or not though).

Excellent stuff! I expect to be doing a lot of Science Magazine Reading that I've not been able to do because of money.

I'm lovin' it!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #24
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I was so excited about this, but unless I am completely blind, I can't find any mentioning of Zinio in any of my 4 US libraries; very sad.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #25
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I was so excited about this, but unless I am completely blind, I can't find any mentioning of Zinio in any of my 4 US libraries; very sad.
Oh No.

I didn't know my library had it either, I had to go back to the main library page (out of overdrive) and search for it to find it.

I've not checked my other local library yet, but will do that now!

Just checked, the other (smaller local Aurora library) have it as well, but only about half the number of titles as the Denver Library.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-09-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I only found it at my library by Googling the library name along with Zinio.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #27
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
If you have no luck, some libraries will allow you to join for this purpose, even though you're not likely to use them in person.
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
On second thought maybe not.... I had to create an account at my library and when I try to download it wants me to pay zinio. I also found the Zinio reader for PC and downloaded but it wants me to log in to my zinio account which apparently is separate from the library zinio account....

almost as confusing as Adobe Epubs.

ah wait.....nevermind....I think I got it. I had to create both a library zinio account and a zinio-zinio account....

I think it's working....
Yep; you need two Zinio accounts. I've been doing the Zinio library thing since April.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Also, as far as I can see, you have to repeat the procedure each time a new issue comes out.
You do; but you get to keep them indefinitely once you borrow them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #30
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
You need an account for the ones that offer the service (for me it's RB Digital?), then it links to your Zinio account if you have one. I've only got a single Zinio account, which receives both my purchased magazines and borrowed ones.
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote