Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Public Library Zinio access now has back issues

I went to checkout a couple of my regular magazines from two public libraries that I belong to, to discover that there are now back issues available. Good, since I missed a week recently.

However both the search and categories seem to be broken, not to mention the categories changed so I had to page through until I found my magazines of choice.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I didn't even know libraries had Zinio!!

Running to check out my libraries...
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I just checked my library. Instead of seeing the latest covers, I see a generic picture showing "back issues available" on some of the magazines. Then when I tried to "check out" a magazine, it bombed out with a message that they're adding back issues and the service is unavailable now.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I noticed the change they made at the beginning of the month.

But the new changes are buggy.

- The categories filter does not work
- All the magazines are listed in alphabetic order, so you have scroll though each list of magazines one by one.

Quote:
I just checked my library. Instead of seeing the latest covers, I see a generic picture showing "back issues available" on some of the magazines. Then when I tried to "check out" a magazine, it bombed out with a message that they're adding back issues and the service is unavailable now.
It happened to me as well, you have to try several times until the back issue magazine is checked out.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
That's great news! I missed some issues recently of a weekly that I would like to read. Thanks for sharing!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Debi
Connoisseur
Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Debi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Ipad Mini 2, Ipad Air 2
I've also noticed that several magazines are no longer listed since the change at my library's site.
Debi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
I put in a support request a few days back, as in this upgrade they've also gone backwards. Issues are several issues behind rather than current, for some weekly magazines. Or a month behind for a monthly. It was working really well, so I hope they return it to current issues soon. Haven't received a response yet.
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
I went to checkout a couple of my regular magazines from two public libraries that I belong to, to discover that there are now back issues available.
Does your library charge money for the magazines, or are they free? And how big a choice of titles do you have?

My local library offers free Zinio subscriptions to about 20 magazines, but they're not exactly the highest-quality titles on the market. No Economist, no New Yorker, no New York Review of Books. In fact, most of them are names I've never heard of.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Does your library charge money for the magazines, or are they free? And how big a choice of titles do you have?
Mine doesn't charge anything (other than my taxes) and has 186 titles to choose from.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My local library offers free Zinio subscriptions to about 20 magazines, but they're not exactly the highest-quality titles on the market. No Economist, no New Yorker, no New York Review of Books. In fact, most of them are names I've never heard of.
Mike
Selection varies with each library. I recommend you submit a request to your local library with what you'd like to read.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Bradford libraries have 86 titles, mostly leading titles, and no charges. It is a great service. Adding the back issues is brilliant although they only go back to April/May even on weeklies.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:

Mike
Hi Mike

It's free at both my libraries, and they are in different countries, one in my previous location and the other in my current location. Both have a good selection, although for obvious reasons the US library doesn't have Australian titles, or as many UK ones. For example, I use the Australian library to get New Scientist. I can certainly get The Economist - it and New Scientist are my regular weeklies. Both libraries have a pretty good selection for my tastes (science and current affairs), and it looks like a pretty broad selection overall. About 146/321 titles respectively in the US and Aus libraries I belong to. The great thing is that there are no download limits or expiry dates - download whatever you want now, read at your leisure. Previously only the current issue was available, so you had to remember to download every week/month/issue, but now they've made back issues available. My only problem is finding the time to do all this reading! Perhaps you can request your choice of titles to your library? Best of luck.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks to those of you who replied to my question about the number of titles and whether they were free. We don't seem to be doing so well here with our limited range of free magazines, but at least it's a start. Bookwork Girl, I like your idea of submitting a request to the library. I'll consider doing that.

Although we don't do so well on the Zinio front, the library does supply a useful range of other free on-line services, including several high-quality reference resources that normally charge for access, plus several thousand audio books for loan, and a range of interactive language courses.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #14
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Do people in the UK know that you can access the complete Oxford English Dictionary if your library subscribes? I don't know if that applies in foreign parts but it is good.

http://public.oed.com/how-to-subscri...ary-subscribe/
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks to those of you who replied to my question about the number of titles and whether they were free. We don't seem to be doing so well here with our limited range of free magazines, but at least it's a start. Bookwork Girl, I like your idea of submitting a request to the library. I'll consider doing that.

Although we don't do so well on the Zinio front, the library does supply a useful range of other free on-line services, including several high-quality reference resources that normally charge for access, plus several thousand audio books for loan, and a range of interactive language courses.

Mike
You might also want to see if your library subscribes to Freegal, which provides free weekly music downloads.