Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2007, 12:44 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, ChrisI, way to make an entrance with style.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:33 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ChrisI, thank you for that nicely detailed description. I'm sure it will help lots of folks with BD and Vista.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2007, 08:12 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisI View Post
I hope this helps.
I'm so glad I found this post. BD's been working fine for me on an XP machine, but it's been giving me fits on my Vista laptop.

Thanks
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 AM   #19
JohnP
Enthusiast
JohnP began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs505
No WAY could I get SONY Reader tab to work in Vista.

Fortunately, I still have two boot drives. Vista will not let me create a SONY Reader lrf as the button does not give me any dialog box when pushed. Everything ELSE works fine with NO tweaking. When I installed BD in my Win XP drive, it worked flawlessly. So I guess I will edit the books in Vista and when I am ready to create, boot to XP to finish. Tried all of the tips above but nothing worked for the SONY reader button. Seems to be the ONLY thing not working too!
The only true solution to this would be a consistent workaround. That means that it has to work twice!
Tried both the Win XP compatible fix, the DhtmlEd.msi install, and the permissions. Checked the russian website (with Google translating!) and Vista was in the forums but nothing that I found to fix my SONY Reader button not working.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #20
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
Don't use my update just do what i have explained on page 3 seems to do the trick now

Last edited by andyafro; 11-24-2007 at 06:44 AM.
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Under Vista did you download and install the DHTML control that you'll need since it's not standard with Vista like it is XP?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #22
moneytoo
Enthusiast
moneytoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Nether I cannot conver to LRF with BD in Vista. (I have to use XP in VMware)

Im gonna try this but you may test it as well. Use this two utilities (Process and Files Monitors) to know what goes wrong (what process of file fails).

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...k/Filemon.mspx

Last edited by moneytoo; 10-30-2007 at 10:53 AM.
moneytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #23
moneytoo
Enthusiast
moneytoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
It took me almost 2 hours until I realized whats wrong. I have tried to put the libraries in the Book Designer folder (C:\BD) etc....

This one is what helped me... (ran in the C:\windows\system32 folder on vista)

regsvr32 /u comct232.ocx
regsvr32 comct232.ocx

So everyone who has problems to show the dialog window of LRF export, run Process Monitor, find BookDesigner.exe and find what files / libraries are loading (or not loading). If you are not sure, post here your log and I will try to help you.

Here's the Aero proof :-)

BTW: Im running the latest BD update (July - Bookdesigner2007-07-30.zip)

Last edited by moneytoo; 10-30-2007 at 06:00 PM.
moneytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 12:12 AM   #24
andyafro
Connoisseur

Thumbs up Book Designer Vista Update (Unofficial)

1 - MAKE SURE your Book Designer Folder is not in C:\program files put it somewhere else (on another drive if possible).

2 - This is a Sony Reader UpDate Only.

3 - Download and Unzip BD Sony Reader Update into a Folder on your desktop.

4 - Goto your Main BD Directory.

5 - Drag whole contents of BD Sony Reader Update over BD Main Directory (same as you would do with a normal update).

This update should sort all errors and it should run smoothly and also allow you too use the Book Cover Option.

Hope This Helps
Attached Files
File Type: rar BD - SONY READER UPDATE 31-10-2007.rar (9.17 MB, 597 views)

Last edited by andyafro; 11-23-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Andy can you please explain this unofficial update?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #26
andyafro
Connoisseur

Sorry JSWolf took me a while - what i tinkered with is explained on page 3 of this thread i would try that first and if you have no luck try dragging the update onto your bd folder.

let me know which one has helped

Last edited by andyafro; 11-24-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm curious what you did to tinker with it so it works in Vista.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #28
Dobos
Dobos began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
I had tried all the other Vista suggestions but never got the Sony Reader window to show, now I tried:
regsvr32 /u comct232.ocx
regsvr32 comct232.ocx
and it worked!
Thanks to moneytoo.
Dobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #29
JohnP
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyafro View Post
1 - MAKE SURE your Book Designer Folder is not in C:\program files put it somewhere else (on another drive if possible).
2 - This is a Sony Reader UpDate Only.
3 - Download and Unzip BD Sony Reader Update into a Folder on your desktop.
4 - Goto your Main BD Directory.
5 - Drag whole contents of BD Sony Reader Update over BD Main Directory (same as you would do with a normal update).
This update should sort all errors and it should run smoothly and also allow you too use the Book Cover Option.
Hope This Helps
That got it! Started from scratch to make sure that it worked for me every time. Did not have to move the BookDesigner 4.0 directory.
1. Uninstalled the previous copy of Book Designer 4.0 and cleaned the registry with RegSupremePro (tho I do not think that BD uses the registry).
2. Installed DhtmlEd.msi from Microsoft at (do not know if this still needs to be done but I had already done it)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
3. Installed JUST the BookDesigner40.msi to the default Programs directory. Comes from the BookDesigner40.zip file.
4. Unzipped the BD%20-%20SONY%20READER%20UPDATE%2031-10-2007.rar file (winzip 11 does rar files, otherwise you need to use WinRAR)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...4&d=1193803411
5. Copied the unzipped files and pasted them over the original files, making sure to replace all.
6. Under the tools directory in BD, I created a Sony Reader folder.
6. The SONY Reader tab now works. Make sure to set the default output to the Sony Reader folder. (Can set it to whatever, but nice to know where you sent it!)
8. When you are working on a book, use the save as under File and KNOW WHERE YOU ARE SAVING IT TO! Lost a book that way.
9. Note that I did not have to change any permissions or to fool with the .dll properties. I do have User Account Control turned off.

Last edited by JohnP; 11-02-2007 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #30
JohnP
Enthusiast

Andyafro's terrific update but in zipped form.

For those of you who are .rar challenged, I just copied the same files but zipped them. Again, unzip, copy and paste with replace all.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vista Update for Book Designer 4.0 Part 1.zip (5.28 MB, 572 views)
File Type: zip Vista Update for Book Designer 4.0 Part 2.zip (5.83 MB, 516 views)