Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 09:56 PM   #16
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
I'm totally happy with my PDF 'image viewer' - yes, I would like to have highlighting and notes, etc., but even without that I have a great viewer that lets me have dozens of PDFs ready to read and not a foot-high stack of paper that I would otherwise have to have on my desk. No more file folders - or worse, binders! - of printouts, no more discovering I picked up the wrong folder when I'm 20 miles from home...

Most of my PDFs are of older books and some articles that don't convert well to text, so conversion in my case is not all that useful. I take notes by hand as if the PDFs were library books. Nothing new in that, for me.

I guess it depends on what your needs (and possibly expectations) are and since mine are simple - I want to read my PDFs without all the paper - I'm very happy with my DX.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #17
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
I'm totally happy with my PDF 'image viewer' - yes, I would like to have highlighting and notes, etc., but even without that I have a great viewer....
Hm, forget notes and highlights.

What about footnotes? Or a TOC? Or an Index at the end of a book?

Or how about using the dictionary?

Or how about Zoom, for PDFs with very wide margins (and no I don't want to look at only half the page, with the wide margins?)

It's not a PDF reader, it's an image viewer, and the old Kindles could do basically the same cra*ppy job, if you converted the pages into images, and split them.

Other than for very basic PDFs, without TOC, Index, Footnotes, or wide margins, the DX's PDF implementation is really unusable, and especially for something like textbooks.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #18
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
How about a shelf of binders with printouts of PDFs? How about a stack of file folders filled with PDF printouts?

I'm not saying all those features wouldn't be great to have. I'm saying I'm delighted that I can at least read PDFs without hurting my eyes (LCD monitor) after a while, or carrying around pounds of paper.

That's an important step for me. Is it the ultimate platform for reading PDFs? Of course not. There's plenty of room for improvement. What I am saying is that the DX is, for me, a giant step toward no longer being quite so dependent on paper output.

And I like that.

YMMV, of course.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #19
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I would not return it....you can sell it on bay for $589...
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #20
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
How about a shelf of binders with printouts of PDFs? How about a stack of file folders filled with PDF printouts?

I'm not saying all those features wouldn't be great to have. I'm saying I'm delighted that I can at least read PDFs without hurting my eyes (LCD monitor) after a while, or carrying around pounds of paper.

That's an important step for me. Is it the ultimate platform for reading PDFs? Of course not. There's plenty of room for improvement. What I am saying is that the DX is, for me, a giant step toward no longer being quite so dependent on paper output.

And I like that.

YMMV, of course.

That's how I feel about it too. I wish it had more features, but it's still a huge step forward.
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #21
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Hah
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #22
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The weight doesn't bother me too much, the PDF support does bother me a bit more.

However, realistically I only have about 4-5 PDFs I need to occaisionally read, it's VERY different for guys with technical jobs (like computing), where they have tech manuals as PDFs.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #23
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
totally nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #24
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
i wonder if he returned it...and risked getting kicked out by amazon and also losing $100 from selling it on ebay.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #25
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I can see how the unit could be too heavy for some people. For me, it is perfect. I carry it everywhere in the leather case. When I read I often take it out of the case. When I lean it on my lap it just flip the case back and it gets great traction.

Have no regrets with my purchase. This is the screen size I always wanted.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote