Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Which ebookstore is your favorite?

I'm dizzy with all the choices. Since I am leaning heavier and heavier toward the ESlick (assuming all goes well with it's release and the succeeding reviews), it looks like I'll need to find a good source for reading material. Any suggestions as to the best ebookstores?

Shel
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Fictionwise
Books On Board
Baen (Webscription)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I love Sony's store

*ducks all the rotten tomatoes getting thrown at her*
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
My favorite is my local library.

Free is good!!!
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Maybe it's just me, but Fictionwise seems a little overbearing to me. It tried to make my choice of format FOR me when I added a book that wasn't in my "preferred" format to my cart. Then it refused to add it until I changed preferred formats. I don't know how to "undo" the preference for format. I like the idea of non-DRM availability though, which it seems Fictionwise has a lock on.
Lilac, I refuse to throw tomatoes (rotten or otherwise) at anyone, so you can stop ducking. I've browsed the Sony store and they do have a very nice selection, but since I'm not buying a Sony reader, I don't *think* it's going to do me much good?
And yep, free is ALWAYS good, unfortunately my local library has an EXTREMELY small (like 20 titles) list of available ebooks, and none I am particulary interested in reading.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Maybe it's just me, but Fictionwise seems a little overbearing to me. It tried to make my choice of format FOR me when I added a book that wasn't in my "preferred" format to my cart. Then it refused to add it until I changed preferred formats. I don't know how to "undo" the preference for format. I like the idea of non-DRM availability though, which it seems Fictionwise has a lock on.
Lilac, I refuse to throw tomatoes (rotten or otherwise) at anyone, so you can stop ducking. I've browsed the Sony store and they do have a very nice selection, but since I'm not buying a Sony reader, I don't *think* it's going to do me much good?
And yep, free is ALWAYS good, unfortunately my local library has an EXTREMELY small (like 20 titles) list of available ebooks, and none I am particulary interested in reading.
Phew, I was worried about the acid getting in my eyes

Yeah, their store wouldn't help you much if you didn't have a Reader. You can certainly buy them though. You just download their software, and get an account. No Reader necessary. You can full screen it too. Here's a screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	22067  
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Fictionwise is where I shop most.

For phenomshel - go to your Bookshelf and look in the left-hand menu and click the link "Update My Profile" (in the same little box with your buying "statistics").

Once you've found your profile, you can set preferred formats for purchasing. It's all a part of the same section where you enter your mobipocket PIDs, etc.

One day, even though my defaults are already eReader, I kept getting an error message about ordering an eReader book and it not being my "default". After trying a couple of times, I gave up and went back later. I believe it turned out to be a glitch in the programming that was corrected later the same day, because it doesn't to that anymore.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:56 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Fictionwise is my main store and as I am familiar with its layout I tend to stay with them even if a book I need is less expensive elsewhere (mind I haven't bought anything with real money since the sterling/dollar exchange rate became so unfavourable).
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote